Several bucket listers, KG III, Dandy and Tombac buttons, silver, crotal bell

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have finally had a little time to do some detecting after spending time remodeling our bathroom. I was able to get out for an afternoon at two locations. First location I recovered 5 Wheat pennies and two Roosevelt silver dimes, 1947 and 1956, a small pin of some sort, and a harmonica reed. The second location gave me my oldest coin ever found and a couple of other bucket listers. The huge crotal bell looked nice until I turned it over and the bottom was broken out, three Colonial era buttons, 2 Dandys and one broken Tombac, an old thimble, a bowtie brooch, and a King George III halfpence dated 17xx. The modern quarter seen is for reference only. Couldn't get the last two numbers of the date, but this style was only made in the 1770's according to my research. It measures a little over 28mm in diameter. I have posted 2 pictures of what it would have looked like when minted. It is worn pretty smooth, but it still has some details left. Several firsts for me. Super excited with these early finds. They don't happen often in my neck of the woods. Thanks for looking and may your coil find great things. IMG_0001.JPG SE3774-o[1].jpg IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG SE3774-r[1].jpg

Upvote 19

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds with the bucket list thrown in on top of it all.
Good job!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Definitely a counterfeit KGIII but most of them are

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your on a great old site, 250 years old potentially. I’ve found a bunch of KG’s but only 1 that has details almost as nice as yours. Usually you can barely make out the bust or lady Britannia. Hit that site with everything in your bag of tricks. Go super slow, try lowering sensitivity to 50%. It’s amazing how many 250 year old relics and coins I find only an inch or 2 down. Congrats!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt!!! Congrats on the Bucket Listers:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your on a great old site, 250 years old potentially. I’ve found a bunch of KG’s but only 1 that has details almost as nice as yours. Usually you can barely make out the bust or lady Britannia. Hit that site with everything in your bag of tricks. Go super slow, try lowering sensitivity to 50%. It’s amazing how many 250 year old relics and coins I find only an inch or 2 down. Congrats!!!

Thanks for the info. I have hit this location several times before and only found old Wheat pennies. This time I put the N E L Tornado coil on and found these keepers much deeper.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Definitely a counterfeit KGIII but most of them are

I don't find many Colonial coppers, Toasted. Can you give me a rundown on why they were counterfeits.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early finds! Love the two dandy buttons with nice patterns. Congrats on the KG III. Not sure about the geography of your site, but you might be on the fringe of an older concentration, so if you can range out some, you might want to try that.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts, that's some awesome recoveries, really nice coins & relics, congrats & HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a major problem they were having with counterfeiting in England and the colonies. That is really interesting reading. Thanks, Steve.
The Counterfeits produced in the US can be worth some good money.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. I rarely find buttons with patterns on them and the few coppers I find are usually slick or toasted. You have some really nice coins and relics there. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did our bathroom lol great finds just amazing I think your gonna need another bucket
Lol you can borrow mine just return it

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did our bathroom lol great finds just amazing I think your gonna need another bucket
Lol you can borrow mine just return it

My bathroom job has this old man sore and worn out, Tommy. Just one more small job to do and I am done. I should have more detecting time now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread