Last edited:
Upvote 4

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the Show...Asherr

My opinion is that they are pieces of Delftware mid 18th Century made by the Dutch.

Delft Pottery.jpg

If these pieces came from St. Lucia, they could have been owned by the French or British which each ruled this small island 7 times up until 1814 when finally it became British and received full independence in 1979.

This particular pottery was highly sought after throughout Europe.

Keep searching this area as where pottery is located... so goes Treasure!

OP
OP
A

Asherr

Greenie
Sep 11, 2019
St Lucia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Rob! I figured it must have come from the French or English, there's also one tiny piece that simply has R & W painted on but my search has not yielded much.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting...Can you show this piece with R & W?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that they are pieces of Delftware mid 18th Century made by the Dutch.

View attachment 1753169

If these pieces came from St. Lucia, they could have been owned by the French or British which each ruled this small island 7 times up until 1814 when finally it became British and received full independence in 1979.

This particular pottery was highly sought after throughout Europe.

Keep searching this area as where pottery is located... so goes Treasure!

Great information,, thank you

OP
OP
A

Asherr

Greenie
Sep 11, 2019
St Lucia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go, both sides of the piece.. I also found two pieces that went together yay!

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    883.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 44

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of what you have is mid 19th century Staffordshire (English) transfer ware. They "transferred" the pattern onto the pottery before putting it in the kiln.

Now, the blue and green "feather edge" is around 1780-1820 or so. We occasionally find it on late 18th century sites, and sites going into the 19th century.

The pieces on the right are called "mocha ware" and it was popular ca 1820-50's. The one tannish piece on the left is a stoneware. Stoneware on that small a piece is very difficult to date, but it probably dates to the same period.

Delft was much more fragile and you would see a lot more "flaking" of the coating with all the design coming off the coin if that was Delft. Delft used a tin glaze which was very fragile.

The only piece I see which I would say is absolutely Delft is to the right of the piece of stoneware (tan piece).

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of what you have is mid 19th century Staffordshire (English) transfer ware. They "transferred" the pattern onto the pottery before putting it in the kiln.

Now, the blue and green "feather edge" is around 1780-1820 or so. We occasionally find it on late 18th century sites, and sites going into the 19th century.

The pieces on the right are called "mocha ware" and it was popular ca 1820-50's. The one tannish piece on the left is a stoneware. Stoneware on that small a piece is very difficult to date, but it probably dates to the same period.

Delft was much more fragile and you would see a lot more "flaking" of the coating with all the design coming off the coin if that was Delft. Delft used a tin glaze which was very fragile.

The only piece I see which I would say is absolutely Delft is to the right of the piece of stoneware (tan piece).
Agreed, mostly 19th C blue & White.

OP
OP
A

Asherr

Greenie
Sep 11, 2019
St Lucia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks everyone. A few of the pieces I found easily at the surface and then the others were exposed slowly every time some rain fell and washed down the path unearthing more bits. The ruins around the area go back to the 1700s at least. My colleagues and people around me would ask what am I doing why am I wasting my time... but too me this is a part of our past and so interesting to me. Time to go back and see what else I find!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that I love stuff like that just the History of it. I would love to find that even if just pieces Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread