Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought beaches were only good for sinkers and clad.

Who would have thought?

Anyway I went to beaches in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia in the last week. I visited six different spots. Most were pretty clean, unfortunately. I got no jewelry whatsoever. Once upon a time ago I had taken my small boat along the bay and the Potomac (not telling where this was found, sorry!), and had spotted some conceivable house collapses from the boat and from beaching it and finding some early glass and stuff along the banks. Well, over the last few days I went to three beaches. The first one was known for shark's teeth and I didn't do very well, got a few small ones. Second beach has larger teeth but I only found a few Hemiprisis teeth and the "fake" one I posted on previously.

The last beach had been hit by another MD'er. So I went to plan "B" and started looking closer to the parking lot and trail leading to the beach. I then started getting pull tabs, aluminum foil, a couple sinkers, and just a few pieces of clad. I then found one silver US coin about the size of a dime, but it was so far gone from the salt water it crumbled to almost dust! It must have been old, in order to do that. The silver coins we get at beaches are ususally corroded beyond redemption.

I was getting ready to leave and decided to use the Deus' small size loop to detect between a rock and a hard spot. I got a decent but aluminum foil range, but dug it anyway, I generally do this. Look what popped up. Of course, this was the day I had left my cell at my house, so I felt almost nekked without it and couldn't do an in situ pic. The following day I did get some nice pics from a nearby site in Virginia, here's some cool cliffs!

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Toy from a nearby spot: IMG_0842.JPG

Sharks tooth from a visit a few years ago: IMG_0841.JPG

Cliffs along the river, about 20 miles away: IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

Since Deus did that newest upgrade it rocks in salt water.

Upvote 138

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Smokey! Congrats!
I would say your trip was well worth it for finds & scouting the areas from a different perspective.
Good that you got the up grade.
As for the boat...go for it! You only live once & you can't take it with you. Might as well enjoy it while you can.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That little coin is awesome! I know you have dug a few gold coins, but I can imagine the thrill is still super intense! Wow & Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I ain't dead yet, but it is quite unlikely I'll ever dig a gold coin. Actually need to get out more often than I do - been 3 or 4 months now. But, sitting in my chair here in my isolation, I certainly appreciate reading the finds here every single day. Smokey has been doing great lately, completely admire her for that.

Just maybe I'll get out sometime in the next few weeks = I suffer from extreme laziness and a GAF attitude. But I do appreciate people like Smokey who inspire me to get off my duff....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else get tired of all the great stuff Smokey finds?
Why not me?

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two words:

Banner, dude.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way back when I was still out to conquer the world, I did a ton of research on shipwrecks (old) off the Eastern coast of USA - there was one that was believed to have gone under between NJ and NC full of Gold coinage. Have no recent reports but back then there was the occasional finding of a gold coin along said beaches, wreck never found but theory was that coins from the wreck washed up sometimes after a storm. Of course the coin you show was minted just a few years prior to the war and could have been dropped by one of many war fighters. But if that is an inlet in the pic there could be a boat load on the sea floor not far :)

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definetely banner! Gotta say Smokey, Ive been on the little shark tooth island you were talking out. Lots of fun, we found a few decent sized ones.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peyton, two gold coins were found in the field we were in a few years ago. I got 1 Spanish and a friend got 1 US $1 pre Civil War, I forget which year, 1851 or 2 I think.

Boat has been purchased! IMG_0849.JPG Picking it up tomorrow and will take it out next week. The green one. The blue and white one won't "beach" correctly.

I have had a so so year. I lost weeks and weeks to medical stuff. I am shy on gold rings and silver coins for sure. The shark's teeth were tiny. But when you lose just about the whole summer, that's what happens. I don't think I've dug a CW relic since April or May.

williamswilliam

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wooahhh that's awesome dude! this coin is from 1857. This coin must having a worth in thousands. Hey can you give me a roughly estimation idea how much would it cost?
Need to know, it could be possible someone else is also having a coin like this. hehe :D

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked on Ebay for a comparison. This one has some "gunk" on it, wear and scratches so maybe $200-250 US. They are not really expensive ones especially if they have been in salt water and beaten around some. At least it didn't have a hole in it!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Unbelievable! How many gold coins have you now found with a metal detector? Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread