My best Fur Trade axe and a handful of silver.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Managed to get out two times this week-end despite the unusually hot and humid weather for this time of year. Decided to explore an other area at my newest permission and I believe the time spent was well worth it.

My best find of the week-end was my biggest and best preserved Fur Trade axe. Discovered it hidden deep in a large pile of rocks which shielded it from the contact with the humid soil, thus the very little accumulation of rust. Makes me wonder who put it there and why he never managed to recover it around 250 years ago.

20190922_091753.jpg

20190922_091718.jpg 20190922_091706.jpg 20190922_091726.jpg

The rest of my hunts where pretty uneventful with no old relics other than a late 1700's Hibernia halfpenny that someone made into a button. I did stumble upon a not so old hunting camp of some sort and recover a good number of early to mid 1900's coins with a good amount of silver.

20190922_174422.jpg

As well as a silver religious pendant.

20190922_092153.jpg 20190922_092144.jpg

Very happy with that Trade axe as they are pretty rare where I'm at,especially in this condition.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 84

Ice Scratcher

Jul 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, that axe head is wicked awesome as well as the other silver finds.. Those pendants are interesting too, they seem to always have blue enamel, and are always tiny too..

In my opinion the axe, is not a "fur trade" item. Items used in fur trade had two things in common, they were small and lightweight. They traveled in big canoes, even the silver items for trade were paper thin. That axe is made too well, too special, and just too heavy too carry long distances just to trade..

<ยฐ)))>{

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful 18th century axe! :notworthy:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SILVER...!
Beautiful axe...!
Almost could use it again...!
And, that pendant, is beautiful, too...!
Great Finds...! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, that axe head is wicked awesome as well as the other silver finds.. Those pendants are interesting too, they seem to always have blue enamel, and are always tiny too..

In my opinion the axe, is not a "fur trade" item. Items used in fur trade had two things in common, they were small and lightweight. They traveled in big canoes, even the silver items for trade were paper thin. That axe is made too well, too special, and just too heavy too carry long distances just to trade..

<ยฐ)))>{

It's a Fur Trade period axe to be precise

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Fur Trade period axe to be precise
I would categorize it as an 18th century axe. The same style axes were used by the white settlers as were traded to the Indians, yet everyone seems to want to call them "fur trade", even if it was dug at a white man's cabin site.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would categorize it as an 18th century axe. The same style axes were used by the white settlers as were traded to the Indians, yet everyone seems to want to call them "fur trade", even if it was dug at a white man's cabin site.

Those axes were also used by "voyageurs" and "coureurs des bois" actively engaged in Fur Trade with native population. I dug it in an area know for the trade, at a very isolated site. Doubt it was used by the Natives themselfs but there's a big chances it was dropped by one of the "voyageurs".

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point is there were certain things made expressly for the fur trade, such as pipe tomahawks, silver nose bobs, and other trinkets. Axes like these were made for general use, just like cooking pots, knives, and other items, but were found to be valued by the Indians, thus their trade appeal. So if the axe was found in an Indian village or trading post, yeah it was probably a fur trade item (or possibly plunder). If found in a white man's context, it's just a white mans (18th C) axe. You have probably noticed that anyone on this forum that finds an 18th century axe head calls it "fur trade".

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your handful of silvers is an amazing sight to behold Anton! :occasion14:
That fur trade axe will make for a nice display piece once it's preserved too.

Dave

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your handful of silvers is an amazing sight to behold Anton! :occasion14:
That fur trade axe will make for a nice display piece once it's preserved too.

Dave

Thanks Dave. One of my favorite axes since I've started detecting. By far the best preserved one.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
That is a darn good day. That axe is very nice, it great shape.

I often come across piles of field boulders in my area of Indiana and have found a few full groove axes mingled in them. Although its a very rare find.

Congrats on an amazing day.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a darn good day. That axe is very nice, it great shape.

I often come across piles of field boulders in my area of Indiana and have found a few full groove axes mingled in them. Although its a very rare find.

Congrats on an amazing day.

Thanks dognose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread