What were people thinking....

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at this spoon my grandpa found at a early 19th century house spot. Now can you guess what its made out of? Its made out of lead... 20190927_161140.jpg 20190927_161204.jpg

Tall about lead poisioning :laughing7:

Upvote 10

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably thinking they were gonna eat dinner with it. And back then probably didn’t know better and prolly didn’t live long enough to see the side effects of lead poisoning and if they did most would assume they died from something else not a spoon.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing goes for lead water pipes.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient Greek, chalices were made with lead. The wine would dissolve some of the lead, and you would be ingesting large amounts of lead

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy! I think they've known about lead since ancient times but they continued to use it. Think about this. The romans lined their aqueducts in lead!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not just the Romans and not just in ancient times. Think Flint Michigan. From Wikipedia:

The Flint water crisis began in 2014, after the drinking water source for the city of Flint, Michigan was changed from Lake Huron and the Detroit River to a less costly source of the Flint River. Due to insufficient water treatment, lead leached from water pipes into the drinking water, exposing over 100,000 residents to elevated lead levels.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient Greek, chalices were made with lead. The wine would dissolve some of the lead, and you would be ingesting large amounts of lead

AT the decline of the Roman Empire, they'd been putting their wine into lead lined casks for years... the population got to be about 5 ft tall and dumb as a box of rocks..

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I'm sure the population was not aware of the effects of lead back in the early 1800's. Heck, I was brought up on Red meat in the 60's and 70's, and now they say its bad for you and causes cancer. Go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread