Military Shoulder Scale - Update: Probably Chin Strap - New Info & Pictures

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Military Shoulder Scale - Update: Probably Chin Strap - New Info & Pictures

My hunting buddy Rob and I got permission today to hunt a house that was built in the early 18th century. Though I was happy to get out of the woods for a day, I had the feeling this place was probably hunted before by a detectorist who lives nearby. I asked the person who was in charge of the estate but they didn't know if it had already been done. Anyway, both Rob and I pulled out some interesting relics from some old trashy areas, including a nice, early brass shoulder scale that I found, and an early circa 1900 brass bottle opener with a Brooklyn Brewing Co. advertisment on it that was found by Rob (sorry no pictures of Rob's stuff, since I forgot my camera and Rob up to this point has yet to post on T-Net). I also found the remnants of what appears to be a sterling or 800 silver beaded necklace. The only coins found were some early wheat cents, one memorial cent and a 1945 Quarter. The lack of coins found, seems to confirm my earlier hunch about this place being done. Getting back to the shoulder scale, I have little knowledge about military relics, and had no item what I had recovered (I broke the scale extracting it from the hole). On the other hand, Rob is a full-time dealer in military items, and when I showed him the scale, I said to him, I dug this alligator skin looking thing (I thought it was a piece off some kind of kitchen utensil) and he was like, you gotta be kidding me, that's an early shoulder scale and appears to date from before the Civil War! Rob has already checked his books and can't find one like it and we've both search the net to no avail, so I was hoping a fellow T-Net member could tell me more about the scale. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• relics.jpg
    relics.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 506
  • relics2.jpg
    relics2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 497
  • relics3.jpg
    relics3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 523
  • relics4.jpg
    relics4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 498
  • relics5.jpg
    relics5.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Early Military Shoulder Scale - Can Anyone Date It?

Excellent finds ...love the silver bead necklace .....What a great day for you guys!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Been looking... no luck.

I do agree it's a shoulder board, or board piece!

I think it's pre-1850s... I know that ain't no help...

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Great finds.
No help on the epaulette. Can't find one like it anywhere yet.

sarge relics

Greenie
Jul 27, 2005
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, w/6X10 DD

Sorry guys, but that shoulder board looks like a fishing lure to me. Based on the size in relation to the bell. Either that is a very large bell, or a very small shoulder board. It appears to be what we call a "jigging spoon". :-\

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

ssgdcbutler said:
Sorry guys, but that shoulder board looks like a fishing lure to me. Based on the size in relation to the bell. Either that is a very large bell, or a very small shoulder board. It appears to be what we call a "jigging spoon". :-\

Thanks for you opinion, but I'm having trouble following your reasoning. The epaulette measures 6 3/4" long and the bell is about 1 1/8" wide.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's one I found a few years ago . I posted it on here , but I cant find the post . It had several responses . It was back in 2005 , maybe April ? . I think one person said that it went on the side of a helmet ?

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 424
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 428

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

maybe its from a foreign military uniform (french maybe) didnt they help durning the rev war?

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

At first glance, it kinda "looks" like part of the chinstrap for a dragoon or curiasser helmet. But it doesn't look like the scales are articulated. It looks like a one-piece stamping. I don't think it's the spoon of a fishing lure but who knows?

Definitely a chinscratcher and an interesting find to try to get a good ID on.

IMHO, I don't think the place had been hit with a detector before yours, the coin finds look too easy to have been overlooked if it was hunted before. Then again, I've pulled plenty from "previously hunted" places too. You know the place, where the property owner says, "Well so-and-so has been in here before and found some stuff....." I just wait for him to next say those magic words "...but you're welcome to try anyway."

Congrats on the cool finds!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very unusual find but it appears that it has a round hole at one end and a square or oblong hole on the other. I think I would believe fishing lure before being a shoulder scale, but just do not know.............

I'm still lookin for you, the photo by Mojjax is interesting, similiar but very different but does give another angle to look at it being something else. I hope someone comes up with the proper answer, nothing like having a nice relic and not knowing what it is...

Don

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think it looks like the side of a pocket knife.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Re: Military Shoulder Scale - Update: Probably Chin Strap - New Info & Pictures

Well it seems as if Rob put the pieces of the puzzle together on this piece. Yesterday, he found a rosette in the same area that appears to fit the scale I found. Based on mojjax's suggestion that the piece came off a helmet, Rob now believes the relic is probably a chin scale (strap) that came off a European helmet. Below are two knew pictures, with one showing the rosette in place. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 256
  • scale2.jpg
    scale2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 255

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used