The whisper of silver...

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
Jim, Tim, Jerry and I all got back to the boat club site from last week today. Things looked pretty good when my first coin was a 1943-P war nickel at about 6 inches. But then the hunt deteriorated into a succession of shotshell bases and .22 lead. After a while, Tim and Jerry had to leave, and Jim and I went to a secondary site which, regretfully also produced zip. We gave it an hour, then jumped in the truck for a quick trip to a third site, a campground, which turned out to have a sign "Closed For The Season" and no way to contact the owner for permission. With our hunt time waning, we stopped at a city park, faced with the bleak alternative of an afternoon digging blasphemously corroded wheats, the only kind of old coin this particular park has ever produced.

It didn't turn out that way.

After digging a clad dime at 4.5 inches, I moved to the section that had given up the wheats before. I cranked the sensitivity on my Explorer to 32 ( the max) and started to hunt. The first hit was a faint repeatable whisper which ID'd at 31 and almost bottomed out the depth meter. I called Jim over and he watched me pull up a 1939 Washington from over 10 inches down. The next hit was almost identical and less than 1 foot away. That coin proved to be a 1956-D Roosevelt from the same extreme depth. At that point it occurred to us that our last hunt had been with our prior detectors and the Minelabs technology was capable of hitting significantly deeper targets.
As the hunt continued, the next target was another whisper, but at a depth that made pinpointing difficult. Up came a 1903 Barber dime. Another whisper at 9.5 inches yielded a 1906 Indianhead. The next whisper was impossible to pinpoint before plugging, and gave up a broken gold plated charm that at one time had held paste jewels. As our hunting time ran out, the final whisper came. Identical with my first hit, the result was a dateless Standing Liberty, demonstrating my uncanny ability to find only the SLQ's without dates.
I should note that this park has been hunted to death by a number of parties, and the "wheat" area has been hit particularly hard. These silver weren't just missed, they were clearly too deep for our old machines to even pick up. It just goes to show how new technology can revitalize our old hunted out sites.

Attachments

• front and back.JPG
    front and back.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 698
Upvote 0

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Wow, great coins and great skill in finding those targets. Well, now you have to go back, and meticulously hunt the whole park all over again for those deep signals. Good luck!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
You did very well today! The Barber wins first prize!

Set your expectations low and your sensitivity high and keep digging!

When my ExpII bottoms out on a faint silver tone I take a deep breath. Some of those deep coins are hard to get out!

Nice job!

Ridley

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver haul

Don't worry, you're not the only one who can't find SLQ's with dates on them.

WTG!!

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
sweet! my hunting buds and myself do the same thing. go to well-hunted areas and listen for the whispers. sure we find silver and wheats at 6-7 inches that aren't whispers, but when that occasional faint signal pops up, it's always a rush to dig and find out what it is.
a few weeks ago i got a whisper that was so faint the gain on my XS didn't even amplify it. it was repeatable but SUPER quiet. the depth was at the bottom of the meter. turns out it was a '36 wheat at a tad over 11". i was stunned.

way to go on the super-deepies. it's those 8"+ signals that make this hobby so rewarding.

HH,
Mike

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is ONE impresive day! That is a great variety of old coins! Beautiful coins!

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Looks like you showed us all how it's done. Great job!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geesh.....save something for the rest of us!! 8)

Good advice for us all...even though I don't think my machine whispers to me. ;)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats alot of good coins in one hunt. Congratulations.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the silver. Incredible finds.

;) RR

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Hope you have a PHD!!(Post hole digger) with treasure that deep you will need one.
Joe

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's a great post, and some nice finds, but it leaves me wondering what I've left in the ground because my machine just can't reach it :-[.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread