Pounded the Ground: Found a seldom seen copper!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chazy, Ny. Pound the Ground 2019. What a beautiful place and a great adventure. The Silver Bandit, myself and Ry of Love Life Metal Detecting boarded the bandit's wagon and took off for a weekend of hole digging. The drive was five or six hours and we even had to take a ferry with the wagon in it that we didn't even know about! It was my first rally and supposedly the biggest one America has seen. I was pretty eager to go to this. It's not really the kind of metal detecting I am used to, in fact it was pretty darn overwhelming to have 1000 acres to detect but also somewhere around 1000 other detectorists! We are talking square miles of land! fields as far as the eye could see. I was concerned about the amount of people but quickly realized that you could probably add several thousand more and still be comfortable detecting most of the time there was nobody besides my friends within hundreds of feet of me. After hours of finding nothing but junk we ventured over to one of the fields and a friendly local detectorist (AJAJ) was nice enough to mention that he had found some stuff in the field we were walking over to. It always helps to know that there is stuff there even if you don't find it. It was now afternoon and I was getting tired and on the verge of despair.... but never fear I had luck from my wife and baby son. I always ask them to give me the power to find something. I set the bar low at one good thing because that's all it takes to stoke the fire. It works most of the time and when it doesn't dad is not a happy detectorist.

Back to detecting. I got a pretty bad signal that sounded like garbage but there was just a high enough tone to dig it. To my surprise out popped a large copper! Brushing the dirt away I could see a right facing bust and the letters John Wilk....was it a John Wilkes Booth token? It turned out to be a John Wilkinson Iron Master token with some good detail. It's known as a "Condor Token" The front depicts John "Iron Mad" Wilkinson and the back is a naked Vulcan (roman fire god) hitting an anvil. These tokens date to 1787-1793 and it was the first time an English coin had a bust other than the king. John Wilkinson was an industrialist of the industrial revolution and reminds me of our Paul Revere. This guy made cannons and was an inventor and specialized in cast iron. Now during that time there was a severe shortage of small change in England. Picture the US mint shutting down for a few years like England did back then Could you imagine going anywhere and they simply couldn't give you any change for your dollar? That's what it was like but they didn't even have enough coins to pay people so company owners had to get creative. This token was used to pay a worker and was supposed to be equal to the English half penny. The crazy thing is that the coins where supposedly much cheaper than their value to make so he made money while paying his employees and then the token could be spent in his company stores! What a system! These were made by the ton but I've never seen one it's only something I've read about. When I showed it to some of the experts they had never seen one of these. They are not super rare but they don't seem to show up too often over here. I'm not even sure it's real because they were originally made with the name purposefully misspelled and they mixed and matched the reverses and dates. There are multiple spellings so a correct spelling as mine doesn't necessarily make it a counterfeit. There are probably as many varieties as Connecticut coppers! Collect them all. It could take a lifetime. About 5 minutes later I found a nice silver washed flat button that could date to the late 1700's to early 1800's. My day was made absolutely made!

I got to meet some of the youtube stars... The Hoover boys. Brad let me hold his gold coin! haha:headbang: Weekly Dirt guy, Quarter Hoarder and crew, Digging with Matty, Gone digging, ... Great times and I was so psyched on my coin and the good times I wanted to find Nathan from Rhode Island Relics and thank him in person for the event. Didn't find him so I'll have to meet him another time. I felt it was a well organized event and it looked like a great time was had by many people. It was cool to be a part of it, meet some new people and be in a new place!

If you are wondering what else was found it's out there: I know that a handful of War of 1812 buttons were found, Multiple CT coppers, Dandy Buttons, Spanish silver, Musket balls, bottles, Capped bust dime, seated dime and multiple other coppers and flat buttons. It wasn't easy but I suppose that's not why we do it.

Thanks for reading and shout out to anyone who was there!

Attachments

• IMG_7322.JPG
    IMG_7322.JPG
    530.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7321.JPG
    IMG_7321.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7320.JPG
    IMG_7320.JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 30

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super post, report, and FIND! Congratulations!:occasion14::headbang:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it was great meeting you out there and you showing me the Condor token. It made me go back and do some research and now I’m excited to find my first one. Excellent find!

aj

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it was great meeting you out there and you showing me the Condor token. It made me go back and do some research and now I’m excited to find my first one. Excellent find!

aj

I think the strange way finding stuff works.... now that you know of it there's a good chance it will happen!!! The good news is that there are many coins considered to be Condor tokens so it's not just one coin type you are looking for! Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find wish I knew about this how did all the detectors function frequency wise lol. Thanks for sharing your finds and about the event. Tommy

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a cool find, and great history! I went on Sunday, I wasn't as successful as you were, I found a flat button and a few pieces of buckshot, but I still had lots fun. I probably wasn't hunting the right spot, I mostly hunted fields #4, #5, #6 and #7.

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet coin congrates. PTG was awesome.
The natural hunt was just a blast.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a cool find, and great history! I went on Sunday, I wasn't as successful as you were, I found a flat button and a few pieces of buckshot, but I still had lots fun. I probably wasn't hunting the right spot, I mostly hunted fields #4, #5, #6 and #7.

Yeah it was tough with such a huge area and so many people. It was about being in the right place at that right time. I think a lot of good stuff came out of #7 that's where my finds were. There was a large area of uncut corn on 7 we went around it early on and found nothing. Then they harvested the corn and people found some of the best finds there. You could tell there was something there because there were like 30 people combing it. I stayed away from that and found stuff on the other end. There were finds in other fields too.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find wish I knew about this how did all the detectors function frequency wise lol. Thanks for sharing your finds and about the event. Tommy

Tommy that would have been cool to meet you as you are one of the stars of TNet! haha! I think it was fine. Most of the time there wasn't anybody else within a few hundred feet of you. Really not an issue as the area was so huge.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the condor token club.

Rookster