KG III, Indian, Tombac, Wheats and more.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is three short hunts. A dinosaur collector coin, an eagle I civil war button, a Pa keystone shaped tag that was riveted on license plates between 1910 and 1915 and contained the vehicle Makers Number, an old flat button, a Tombac button, Workman button, a pin with the number 81 on it, suspender buckle, 1898 Indian head penny, 8 old Wheat pennies, and a colonial copper, King George III half penny that would date between 1770 and 1775. This style was only minted for 6 years. It is probably a counterfeit as many of them were. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

Upvote 17

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great mix of finds! A great day! The red pin is an AA sobriety pin, maybe, not sure what the 91 means. Maybe sober since 1991. sobriety pin.jpg

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts, that's some pretty cool recoveries, the IHP & the buckle are outstanding, nice dinosaur coin & the wheats look like they came from the piggy bank instead of the soil, they are really nice, congrats on all the saves & HH

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts, that's some pretty cool recoveries, the IHP & the buckle are outstanding, nice dinosaur coin & the wheats look like they came from the piggy bank instead of the soil, they are really nice, congrats on all the saves & HH

The wheats have been soaked in peroxide for a day, and cleaned with a fine brass brush. I wish the King George III would have cleaned up nicer but it was really toasted when I started the cleaning process on it. I used Andres pencils on it, after a long soak in peroxide.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool variety of finds! :thumbsup:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds. You've been hitting some good spots to dig. Great pics and post. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds. You've been hitting some good spots to dig. Great pics and post. Thanks for sharing.

I have been hitting some old homesteads with a friend lately that has been doing the research.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the KG! Some decent details for our neck of the woods. Also cool Eagle I button and flatbuttons. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I dream of a spot that gives up that much awesome finds love that liscense plate tag and IH wheats are always welcome you are having a great year my friend keep it up theres a gold coin out there for you and Me lol. Well done. Tommy

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's what I'm talking about. Great hunt.:icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That KG is very interesting. On the obverse it should say REX after the III, but it looks like it says GIVS. The reverse is very odd too. Do you mind if I post it on the Colonial & Early American Artifacts FB forum and get opinions?
ns

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the KG! Some decent details for our neck of the woods. Also cool Eagle I button and flatbuttons. Congrats

Thank you. I have been fortunate enough to recover some bucket listers this summer.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That KG is very interesting. On the obverse it should say REX after the III, but it looks like it says GIVS. The reverse is very odd too. Do you mind if I post it on the Colonial & Early American Artifacts FB forum and get opinions?
ns

You are welcome to do that if you want. I thought it should have REX on there as well, but wasn't sure. I am no KG expert.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I dream of a spot that gives up that much awesome finds love that liscense plate tag and IH wheats are always welcome you are having a great year my friend keep it up theres a gold coin out there for you and Me lol. Well done. Tommy

Thanks, Tommy. It has been a great year. A gold coin would be unbelievable, my friend.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johncoho, I can pass on three comments on your coin from the Facebook forum. If anyone else comments I'll let you know. I think it was definitely a double strike counterfeit, but whether it was a British or American counterfeit is still unknown.
1. Double struck obverse. Second strike rotated 90 degrees from the first
2. Evasion halfpenny. These are counterfeits made to differ enough from an original so as not to be an illegal counterfeit.
3. 1771 Machins Mills halfpenny.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johncoho, I can pass on three comments on your coin from the Facebook forum. If anyone else comments I'll let you know. I think it was definitely a double strike counterfeit, but whether it was a British or American counterfeit is still unknown.
1. Double struck obverse. Second strike rotated 90 degrees from the first
2. Evasion halfpenny. These are counterfeits made to differ enough from an original so as not to be an illegal counterfeit.
3. 1771 Machins Mills halfpenny.

Wow. That is a ton of info I didn't have about that coin. That all makes sense in the way the coin was made. One thing I did not mention about it was It was unusually thin. I don't have a good scale to weigh it so I don't have an exact number. It stuck me as odd to be that thin and still be able to get some decent details off the coin. I believe the coin was very thin copper when it was struck. Many thanks, Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions