Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out to a park in Baltimore City for three hours this afternoon. JF managed over six dollars in clad. I didn't get near that much. My best finds of the day included a '54D Rosie, IMG_8013.JPG

two gaming tokens from the 1930s, IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8014.JPG

and a surprise old copper that came out of the ground very dark. We could see it had a shield on one side and JF showed me a partial date on the obverse that includes the number '8'. On my way home I got to thinking that what looked like a horse head on the obverse and a shield on the reverse reminded me of a State copper. Sure enough, it's a New Jersey copper. IMG_8020.JPG IMG_8019.JPG . Looks like a significant off-strike on the reverse.

Upvote 21

sliverslave

Nov 17, 2012
Co.
Detector(s) used
Explorer ||
Got out to a park in Baltimore City for three hours this afternoon. JF managed over six dollars in clad. I didn't get near that much. My best finds of the day included a '54D Rosie, View attachment 1760862

two gaming tokens from the 1930s, View attachment 1760863 View attachment 1760864

and a surprise old copper that came out of the ground very dark. We could see it had a shield on one side and JF showed me a partial date on the obverse that includes the number '8'. On my way home I got to thinking that what looked like a horse head on the obverse and a shield on the reverse reminded me of a State copper. Sure enough, it's a New Jersey copper. View attachment 1760865 View attachment 1760866 . Looks like a significant off-strike on the reverse.

You guys on the East side got it made. Way to go. Keep swinging that thing and HH

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Glen. This little park is about a city block square and holds coins that span 232 years, so far. This is the oldest copper coin I've dug there.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice NJ Copper and other goodies! :icon_thumright:
Colonial coppers of any kind are still on my list of coins to find...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nick! Beautiful home there in Connecticut.
You're welcome, McCDig!...and thanks. I wish that old house was still standing. I live in the relatively new home just behind where it once stood.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice dime, token and state copper. Those NJ coppers don't seem to be dug that often. New Jersey is a state copper I would love to find someday.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VTColonialDigger.

My other hunt this week was in the woods. I had located a two-compartment cellar hole with high hopes of finding some relics. Only managed a surface find porcelain button. Definite evidence of habitation with broken bottles, dishes, crocks but it must have been detected well by others. With that bust I hiked over to another old homesite and managed a deep flat button, a bullet and a portion of a pewter spoon handle.
What a difference was this hunt today in the City. Targets everywhere and then this NJ copper.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were widening the 405 fwy this week and discovered an ancient Indian Burial ground. Awesome. It seems we find the ancient stuff or clad here on the left coast? to true but colonial USA items are truly scarce. Nice diggins

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VTColonialDigger.

My other hunt this week was in the woods. I had located a two-compartment cellar hole with high hopes of finding some relics. Only managed a surface find porcelain button. Definite evidence of habitation with broken bottles, dishes, crocks but it must have been detected well by others. With that bust I hiked over to another old homesite and managed a deep flat button, a bullet and a portion of a pewter spoon handle.
What a difference was this hunt today in the City. Targets everywhere and then this NJ copper.
Wise men have found

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Randy. Good to hear from you out there in Fullerton. PTL.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job my firend I need to move to Baltimore love the rosie and wow great coinage that would be cool if it was on off strike love to see a pic of it cleaned up. Great post and finds .. Keep rippin Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy. I made 3 passes along the east side of this small park, pretty much digging everything that was 23 and higher on the Equinox, so lots of memorial one cents, but every now and then, a real surprise.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tuberale. Probably about 5 years ago I dug a Vermont copper in a different City park. It, too, was quite dark like this one, but in much better shape.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Professor. Ground here in Baltimore is super dry. I was throwing soil out of every hole to allow the plag to sink in just below ground surface. We are interesteed to see what other good old targets come to light after we get some soaking rains.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a New Jersey copper would make my month! That's a great find! Congrats!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks xcopperstax. My hunting buddy did great on the clad and managed a number of wheats. I think we are finding that as we gradually clear out the shallow finds that these better targets are emerging. This park could not have been detected in the past 10 years. Maybe it was at one time, but we are hoping for more old items to show up in the next several months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread