🥇 BANNER Great day and super nice coin found

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This past Friday a friend of mine and I got together to drive to a seeded/Civil War hunt. We decided to take back roads along the way to possibly find a house or two to detect. On one house I was able to get permission on, the homeowner was super nice and walked me around the property and even told me about the history. He also told me it had been detected before and that I probably wouldn’t find much.

We started in the front of the house. I immediately dug a no date Buffalo nickel. Next target was a wheat cent which was only 2-3 inches deep. No big deal, but although with it being green I knew it was old. Usually I will pass wheats to a bigger pocket along with clad but I decided to place them in a plastic box because I had it on me. Hour later I found an Indian head cent 1 inch down. All the signals were mostly low and all over the place on my Equinox 600. In hindsight I tend to think this is probably why they missed them. I ended up with 4 wheats a Buff and a IH. My buddy ended up with 12 wheats and a 1917 Mercury dime but he moves faster than me. Lol- Later on when we got to the hotel I decided to check the dates. 1913-S, great date and a first for me. Then I noticed 1909-S, well great! and also my first “S” and only second 1909. I told him “what are the chances?”. I recently started having problems seeing up close so I used a magnifying glass. I flipped the coin over and what do I see? V.D.B. !!! Holy cow!

My buddy didn’t know what it meant while I was in shock. I always stay very calm but my heart was flipping. I called my dad who used to avidly collect wheats by the thousands until he went almost totally blind 2 years ago. I told him but I’m not sure if he believed me. I’m still a bit in disbelief.

I know it is an over-used saying but I can only say “they are still out there somewhere”, and “keep digging”. Even if we never find a key date or anything of consequence I think we are blessed to be able to do what we do. I’m 46 with tremendous back issues (I was physically sick with pain that day), and feel my digging days may be numbered so I’m thankful for every dig. Also for a guy who has never found a key or semi-key anything I feel extra blessed!

ACA43351-E5A9-48C8-85B3-82E0D6435530.jpeg

A4E010CC-B8FD-4FB9-B607-AEB917A3FE91.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 140

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, now THAT’S a wheatie! Congrats on the find, and making the banner!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Amazing! Wow! All hail king of the Wheats. That made the banner in a flash. I found my first 1909-S this year. Wasn’t a VDB this time but I’m hoping someday!’

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, the '09-S V.D.B. gives you a Very Delightful Boner, then, T-Net gives you a
Very Deserving Banner. Can't beat that ! Life is good !! Congrats !!
Dressed up the pic a bit for posterity: (click on image to make more clear & enlarge)
Pointman's 1909-S V.D.B.#1.png

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Super find, congratulations!

All the best,

Lanny

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !

I Do Believe that is a First On T-Net

Nice Shape Too !
There have been quite a few posted, most not dug though, is that what you meant?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: Congrats on a very rare coin & dig! (& banner)

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a wonderful coin key date coin! The green patina is really nice, too. Congratulations on making the banner and scoring an incredible coin find! :icon_thumleft:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner....very well deserved !! Incredible find !!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent coin. I would vote Banner, but I see you already have it !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrat Pointman for digging a coin we all hope to find in one of our plugs. :occasion14: Glad to see you got a banner for the awesome find. :notworthy:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Great Post. A well-deserved banner. Congrats and keep digging. :icon_thumleft:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent! I have dug many many 1909 cents but non with a mint mark, let alone the VDB. Congratulations on a once in a lifetime find.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, the '09-S V.D.B. gives you a Very Delightful Boner, then, T-Net gives you a
Very Deserving Banner. Can't beat that ! Life is good !! Congrats !!
Dressed up the pic a bit for posterity: (click on image to make more clear & enlarge)
View attachment 1761460

Thank you for doing that! Very nice. Also thanks everyone for the good vibes. I wish you all the best!!!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exceptional find. Congratulations. (And not even on the west coast.)

There are companies out there that will properly conserve it for you. I wouldn't soak it in hydrogen peroxide like I normally do because of the key date.
Even through the dirt, yours is looking like it might be an AU (Details) coin or better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread