My First Four Hours EVER with the MD

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
My First Four Hours 'EVER' with the MD

My wife bought me a detector for a christmas gift (BH Discovery 2200), and I patiently waited for the snow to go, and the ground to thaw.. That would be this morning... But, I needed a digger of some sort, so I took a short trip to the hardware store, and bought what looked like a decent jobby.. Stainless steel, good rubber handle, made in China.. (It's ok, it came with full 'Engrish' intructions) Brought it home, and figured I better give it a try first.. Took it out in the yard, and dug a few plugs.. If, as the instructions said, I "will enjoy results which are of the very finest" I better make a few changes to this thing.. It was serrated on the tip, and that worked well, so i took it to the grinder and ran serration's all the way up both sides, and sharpened the tip to cut through the flat matted grass a bit better.. Took it back out side, and cut a few more plugs.. Looookin goood...
I packed up all the stuff, and headed for the park about 10:30 am.. I dug everything that beeped, and some of the things I learned in my first 4 hours 'ever' of hunting were:
* Coins that show up on the digital depth indicator as being at 4 inches, can be found in the first inch of sod..
* This thing will detect a gum wrapper at 6 inches, as IRON
* Disc. Out IRON
* Target gives multiple depths, and tones.. (DON'T BOTHER)
* Beer bottle caps far outnumber pull tabs! (is this a Canadian thing?)
* My knees hurt
* My legs hurt
* Boy I'm out of shape..
* I HAD FUN!!!!
Here is what I found, This first picture is the Junque, the second is $0.55 in coin, both U.S. and Canadian, the small ring leaning on the fake hotwheels car (made in China) is a Irish Cladaugh (sp?) ring and is shown bigger in the last picture.. Its not silver, beeps as 'iron' tin? but it was not corroded, so could not have been in the ground long.. this last one is my modified 'digger'
But I have learned what to listen for, and what to ignore (almost)..
The next time out, I'm going to hit the part of this park that used to be a camp ground for 75 years..
They kicked all the campers, trailers, and tents out in 1972..

Attachments

• Junque.jpg
    Junque.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 558
  • Find2.jpg
    Find2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 557
  • Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Digger.jpg
    Digger.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
My 2nd 1.5 hours 'ever' with the MD

Yup, the digger works pretty good.. It's a stainless blade, with a ruler embossed into the middle.. The added serrations and the sharp end do the trick.. The only weak part it the shank between the handle, and the blade. It will bend a bit if I pry too hard, but it will also straighten back up when I pry the other way..
Was out for a hour and a half today.. It gets dark here about 8:30 pm right now.. later on about mid summer, it nice and light out till 9:30-10pm
Heres todays finds.. $0.53 (Canadian), a U.S. penny, and a miss piggy pez dispenser

Attachments

• April14.jpg
    April14.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 333
N

NC Barefoot2

Re: My First Four Hours 'EVER' with the MD

;D? I recognize some of those beer tabs.? They were mine back in the day.? Yes, of course they have turned a little rusty, but so have I over the years!? Congratulations on your finds.? You are right about being sore though.? I went in my own backard today and almost had to call 911 to get me back to the house!? However, I did find some iron today and the bottom of my old burn barrel.? They both were too heavy to lift so I left them for someone else to dig later.? ? My lower back prevents me from doing too much but I keep trying.? I guess that's what "aged to perfection" means!?

NC Barefoot2

OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

Yup.. I sure know the feeling... I had a back muscle spasm the first weekend in March, and spent 3 days in the hospital on Demerol and a pretty potent muscle relaxant.. And I hadn't even started detecting yet!!
After the first time out, The leg soreness is gone now, and it's a miracle "I can walk". Now if I could only play the piano too ;D

N

NC Barefoot2

Glad you are up and running again. Well, not really running but are at least moving the parts somewhat. Metal detecting is a fun hobby but it takes its toll on worn out or damaged body parts. How well I know with lower back problems, spinal cord injury, and coccyx damage. However, we must never give up. Wonder if WD-40 would work? Humm!! Might have to ask for some WD-80 at this point in life.

NC Barefoot2

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005

WTG! Keep diggin and postin! Looks like your on your way to a great hobby and many interesting finds.

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice your, hooked!

OP
OP
GunFarce

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

Oh ya... 'hooked' is the word... My wife now says she sorry she bought me the damn thing ;D .. She'll probably change her tune after I find her a nice ring.. ::)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

greenswinger, I'd have to have a note that said, "Go home you idiot, you'll catch pneumonia!" :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread