Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, corny title but hey...
Here's a few finds I thought were interesting and a something I have no idea about. These were found at a friends farm which dates from 1840. It's 250 acres and the old house which was a pass through for folks to travel on the original road. I've barely scratched the surface at this point.
All found with the Equinox 800 and the 6" coil, park 2 setting.
Beautiful cameo, before and after quick cleaning. 029.jpg 030.jpg A neat little coin holder pendant. At first I thought it was a little pocket watch wa 022.jpg 020.jpg 021.jpg Then there's this? I have no idea what it is. It's 1/16th of an inch thick and seems to be copper. Looks to have Asian characters on it? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! 023.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg 027.jpg

Upvote 25
OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Bodkin
What is the cameo metal? What did it ring up on VDI?
Ok! I wanted to recheck what the cameo rang up as before I posted it. I did so this morning and it is 18-19. That's pretty consistent with copper and given it's green appearance I would say it is copper. Pretty chalky too when I did the quick cleaning of it. I would imaging it was probably gilded but I could find nothing definitive. The back side has a copper plate adhered to the cameo itself. On the back side of the frame is a pin mechanism and the pin is broken (looks to be an easy fix). I found this on the 1840 property maybe 10 feet from the house itself. Over the years folks had dropped A LOT of metal. I was using the 6" coils and going super slow and I remember the cameo giving off a faint ring. I know that it was at least 10" deep if not more (I really think more) as I use a trench shovel for my digging and I was able to sink the shovel blade all the way down and dig out a big plug. I was shocked the 800 was able to get through all the other tones. It was in park 2 setting without any other tweaks. I keep the sensitivity up as high as I can before things start chirping so I would say it was at least 22 or up. Hope this helps. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sitting and "watching" my daughter's karate practice, so I had some more time to read. I think what you found IS a sovereign case. Below is linked an interesting short read on them. Maybe they made them for different coins here in the US, but being something to show off your wealth, I can't imagine it was made to hold a base metal coin! A US gold 5 dollar coin is about the size of a sovereign.
https://www.acsilver.co.uk/shop/pc/What-is-a-Sovereign-Case-d310.htm
Completely forgot to check the coin holder size today, sorry. I am in agreement in that I don't believe anyone would have something like this for just an average coin. When cleaning it up it looked like it wouldn't hold anything much larger than a penny (although I didn't try anything in it yet). I will try some different coins and post some pics with those. By the way, I didn't even dig this. It was literally under one leaf! I don't remember what it rang up as, I just through it in my shirt pocket and kept swingin. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely forgot to check the coin holder size today, sorry. I am in agreement in that I don't believe anyone would have something like this for just an average coin. When cleaning it up it looked like it wouldn't hold anything much larger than a penny (although I didn't try anything in it yet). I will try some different coins and post some pics with those. By the way, I didn't even dig this. It was literally under one leaf! I don't remember what it rang up as, I just through it in my shirt pocket and kept swingin. Thanks!
As a follow-up, Here are a few pictures with modern coins and one of the "Patent 190".., whatever that means??? I was able to fit in a penny and then sized up to a nickel, and that still had some space to spare. I then cracked open a coin folder and tried a 1819 silver UK schilling (of course in the name of science) and that was too big. I'm looking forward to getting back to area I found this and some other goodies. If I find anything interesting I will post. Thanks for looking and all your input!!! 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg Oh, by the way, it rings up as 18-19 on the Equinox 800, 6" coil, park 2 setting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Fur Trade. Your unknown piece is a bookmark. If you look at the reverse, you can see where there was a rectangular piece on it (that is now missing) and that would have held the bookmark on the page. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread