Swinging at the old Inn with the East side guys

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Back at it today. Two TNet members Clad 2 Meet U and Ice Fishing Nut contacted me this week and invited me to come out the their town and hunt an old Inn they got permission to metal detect. It's closed now and the land for sale. It was reported to be from the early 1900's.

Here we are after our day of hunting, all pretty tired from all the swinging and digging we did in the warm (80 degrees today) Michigan weather.

Mich Crew.jpg

Clad 2 Meet U Ice Fishing Nut Boobydoo

The Inn looked promising, a few acres of land, mowed pretty well for decent detecting. I think we were all looking forward to some good finds. We all worked it hard but the finds were few and far between. I think maybe someone has detected this property even though the guy who gave permission said no one had. I think we were there about 1.5 hours or so and the guys said, hey, why don't we go down the road a bit and hit a couple schoolyards. So we wrapped it up and headed 20 or so minutes north. I used the ole Garrett TR at the Inn and brought my ACE250 in case, but didn't use it. I did manage 3 wheaties (1950's) and a 1919 buffalo nickel (3 inches down) just before we left found near the entrance. Also in this area, I got a funky looking old earring stamped "Ster". Other then that, 35 coins total for $1.53 and a few cool relics. Here's my finds from the Inn

21OCT07 Inn.jpg
Relics.jpg

We all swooped in on two schoolyards after the Inn and the 20 or so minute drive. We did a lot of swinging and covered a lot of ground this day. I managed some meager keepers at the schools. A bead bracelet that is hallmarked 925 on the clasp, a tiny 925 loop earring, and a toe ring that may be sterling but isn't hallmarked. 120 coins from the schools for me , $9.48 face value. I think we had about 3 hours hunt time at the schools. It was a heart kind of day as most of the trinkets I found were hearts or have a heart on them. I also found a large garden shovel buried in the chips. Funny to find a digging tool MD'ing.

Anyway, thanks IFN and C2MU!! I had a blast and hope you did too. IFU made me promise to come out this winter and do some ice fishing with him. Looking forward to that!

HH to you all thanks for reading.

BDoo

Here's my schoolyards finds.

Attachments

• 21OCT07.jpg
    21OCT07.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 892
  • 21OCT07 F.jpg
    21OCT07 F.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 883
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: Swinging at to old Inn with the East side guys

Sounds like a great time. Nice pictures :) ;)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Looks like a great Metal Detecting day and nice October weather. Congrats on the Buffalo and the silver!! Nice clad counts too!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Hey Bob. Welcome to my world - everything looks promising with few finds. ::) You are probably better off sticking with the school yards. ;D

Ice fishing - if it's a warm shanty and plenty of perch/walleye then yes. Otherwise, stay home and watch TV. ;D

Bob

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

kg6yll said:
Sounds like a great time. Nice pictures :) ;)

Definitely a good time, appreciate the read and comment!

BDoo

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Looks like you had a wonderful time with Clad 2 and Ice Fishing Nut. Great pictures and some nice finds .

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)

Had a grand time! My clad totals (that's all I could muster) were a measly $2.41 :P without any gold or silver. Was hoping something good would pop out of the ground at the inn but alas... it wasn't the case for me.

I can't believe Mike talked you into icefishing!!! I'll believe it when I see it! :o

I was kind of amazed how much we all have in common, Mike and Bobby grew up in the same neighborhood and Bobby and I have a common friend and old co-worker of mine at my last place of employment. Small world indeed.

By the way Bobby... I was going to ask you why your screen name is "Booby" doo??? was that a typo or does it have something to do with... well you know... ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BDoo,
First off, great mug shot. ;D
Congrats on all the finds. It doesn't matter what tot lot you hit, YOU are the king! ;D
Thanks for the post Bobby.
-Doug-

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Bob, with all those hearts you can start your own Lonely Hearts Club. I have the same problem around here, find a promising place only to be Skunked ??? Glad the three of you had a good time anyway. HH

Desertfox

Ice Fishin Nut

Jul 28, 2007
Algonac, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

ModernMiner said:
Congrats on all the finds. It doesn't matter what tot lot you hit, YOU are the king! ;D

I second that!!!!
The man is a machine!!! Fast and Efficient, He properly put a whuppin on both Greg and I!!!!
For every dig both Greg and I dug, Bob had to have dug at least 3.....

Nice to finally meet ya Bobby, I also had a good time shootin the bull over "barley pops" at my favorite watering hole!!!

Oh yea, my clad total was $2.87, no gold or silver, and a ton of junk!!!!

Ice Fishin Nut

Jul 28, 2007
Algonac, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Mirage said:
Ice fishing - if it's a warm shanty and plenty of perch/walleye then yes. Otherwise, stay home and watch TV. ;D

Shanty is always warm, while the beverages stay cold right outside the door!!! ;D

Bobby, if ya want to see how we do it, click here and watch the ice fishing show http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/articles.html you might have to right click it, then download, then view it.....

Actually, its a perch spearing show, but you'll get the idea!!!!

IFN

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

BDoo...
I know what it's like to hunt a spot that should produce and doesn't. Expectations keep the focus sharp though and it usually lasts a while....so plan "B"s and even plan "C"s can often pan out. We should all get together sometime for a group hunt.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Looks like you guys had a good time.... and between the 3 of you a nice amount of clad and finds! :)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Looks like some nice finds and a great time.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Danimal said:
BDoo...
I know what it's like to hunt a spot that should produce and doesn't. Expectations keep the focus sharp though and it usually lasts a while....so plan "B"s and even plan "C"s can often pan out. We should all get together sometime for a group hunt.

I definitely agree with Danimal on having a Plan "B" and a Plan "C". Heck, I've done well with Plan "D" once or twice too.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Sounds like a great day had by all, Congrats!
You sure do pull a lot of trinkets out of those school lots...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Jack(IN) said:
Looks like a great Metal Detecting day and nice October weather. Congrats on the Buffalo and the silver!! Nice clad counts too!!

I am really sore today so I guess we worked it pretty hard but a heck of a day. I really enjoyed meeting up with these guys and hunting. Two surperb dudes they are!!!

Thanks Jack you gold finder you!

:)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Looks like a good day out there and jewelery is always a welcome addition to any hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread