ONE PENNY TOKEN: How to clean?

Ecohikr

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been hashed out many times and many people have their opinions but before I clean this coin, I thought I would ask. My brother and I found this along the Saint John River in NB, Canada. We typically do underwater detecting for rings and stuff and try to return rings to their owners but on this day it was so foggy and it is duck hunting season, that we decided not to snorkel in the shallows so we did some beach/shore hunting and found this coin. We believe it is a ONE PENNY TOKEN from 1812. Until now our oldest coin was 1930 something. Anyway I thought I would post it and see what the members thought the best way would be. It is really encrusted I've tried the toothpick thing but it really won't get any off. We went back two days later and found what I believe to be the half penny token as well but it is totally smooth. We weighed it and measured it and it fits the specs. Found with the Makro Multi Kruzer.

We aren't concerned about selling it, we would just like to make it more displayable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0593[1].JPG

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0594[1].JPG
    IMG_0594[1].JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 4

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really, REALLY tough case. Heres the problem, all that lumpy green crud is oxidized copper. There are methods to remove it, from tumbling, to acid, to electrolysis. The problem is that once you remove it, you not have any visible features remaining.

If you are really determined to clean it, I would suggest some soaking in a mild acid such as vinegar or lemon juice.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first let this type dry for 3 days, then I brush it with an artist bristle brush to see how stable detail is, this removes loose dirt and fluffy patina only
then I start with tooth pick reming dirt around details, if its stable I let it soak over night in cold peroxide, then go over it with brush, toothpick and cotton swab all dipped with peroxide

then wipe it with damp cloth and let it dry and seal it with renaissance wax

OP
OP
E

Ecohikr

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first let this type dry for 3 days, then I brush it with an artist bristle brush to see how stable detail is, this removes loose dirt and fluffy patina only
then I start with tooth pick reming dirt around details, if its stable I let it soak over night in cold peroxide, then go over it with brush, toothpick and cotton swab all dipped with peroxide

then wipe it with damp cloth and let it dry and seal it with renaissance wax

Thanks I was leaning towards the peroxide, the encrustation is really hard the toothpick really won't touch it, though the vinegar and lemon juice sound possible...I appreciate the response!

OP
OP
E

Ecohikr

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason in Enid I appreciate the response!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gut is to just coat with renn wax on this one, will make the details pop a bit more. I think you have more than a 50/50 chance of making it worse if you start removing the crust. You never really know if the detail is only preserved in the crust until you remove it, then sometimes it’s too late.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would leave it. Heavy pitting that will most likely look worse with cleaning.

OP
OP
E

Ecohikr

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gut is to just coat with renn wax on this one, will make the details pop a bit more. I think you have more than a 50/50 chance of making it worse if you start removing the crust. You never really know if the detail is only preserved in the crust until you remove it, then sometimes it’s too late.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

OP
OP
E

Ecohikr

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would leave it. Heavy pitting that will most likely look worse with cleaning.

Thanks Iron Patch we are experimenting with newer encrusted copper pennies, but you are right, we know what it is now, there is no need to make it worse!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread