Found a few goodies detecting here in Alabama!

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE with Sunray X1 Probe and Whites XLT E Series
Hello Folks!

Well, it's been a while since I last posted any finds on the forum. Decided to wait and post the coins found on the old army fort the last three weekends. Nothing too old compared to some of the older coins folks have been been finding on this forum, but it sure beats finding nothing at all :D The fort I am referring to is located NE of Birmingham, Alabama where I've been detecting for the last five years on the weekends. I've pulled some nice coins out of the ground on the fort and usually find a silver coin or two just about every time I go. Here's the latest finds :)

10-06thru10-07-07and10-13-07find-1.jpg

Reverse
10-06thru10-07-07and10-13-07find-2.jpg

Wanting to hunt a different area other than the fort this past Saturday, I met up with a few of my detecting buddies, Eddie and Gary at an old park in the Birmingham area. Eddie was the only person to find an old coin that day in the park. An 1896 "V" nickel :o This nickel was a first and the oldest coin found to date for him. Congrats Eddie! ;) I didn't get a chance to take any pics of the nickel, but did take a few pics of the park we hunted ;)

DSC022741.jpg

DSC022761.jpg

Around 1:30 PM after detecting the park for a few hours, I got a call from Nana asking us if we were still interested in detecting with her and Marty-Graw in another area NE of Birmingham. I said "sure we'll get our gear together and meet you all there in an hour or so!" :D We were invited by Marty previously to go detecting with him. When we arrived at the new area, I introduced myself and friends to Marty for the first time. Nana already knew Gary and I, but not Eddie. It wasn't too long after we arrived and started detecting when I got a nice dime signal at 3" deep. Dug the target and out pops this '26 merc :D As you can see, I made an attempt to clean the corroded coin, but I guess the ground minerals got the best of it :-\ Hey, it's still a merc and glad I found it just the same :P

obverse.jpg

reverse-1.jpg

Didn't take long before the day started turning into the night and we all had to leave but not before everyone else found some goodies. I'll let them share what they found in their own posts. Here's a few pics of the area we hunted with Nana and Marty :)

BigTree.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

Thanks again Marty for the invitation to detect with you and Nana! :D

Well, that's all for now folks. Thanks for looking and HH to all.....James

Upvote 1

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great group of finds, Congrats!!!
Something sure was rough on that dime... ;D :'(
Continued Godd luck, & Happy hunting~

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the silver

HH
-GC

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
That is one Crusty Merc.. But it's silver and a keeper.
I found one at a base of a tree, It had looked as if it was hit by lighting, It was melted on one side
and warped on the other.

Great Pictures..Thanks for sharing

HH
ZoSo71

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey James looks like ya'll had a great time and some silver which is always good. I live in Cullman and am in the process of getting permission to detect our fairgrounds, so in the meantime since I sort of grew up in B'ham I thought I might try my luck there, so does Birmingham require permits?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell ya..between James and Marty, I don't know which one pulled the keeper coins the quickest! :D I went to Marty's place around 1:00 and we chatted a few minutes and got to hunting. After maybe five minutes I look up and here comes Marty over with that possum-faced grin. :D I knew by the look on his face he'd found something good, and Yep...he did! 8) After finding several pieces of regular change, I finally found a 1927 wheat (my only keeper coin). Around 3:00 James and his gang drive up and after the usual howdy do's we get back to hunting. James couldn't have been swinging five minutes and he's hollering, "I got a merc!" :D Can you believe the luck of those two! :D I'm not sure what everyone ended up with (except for James) cause I had to be back home by 6:00 for a party. :'( I did find a tax token! ;D Gotta build my supply back up, ya know! ;D OH..and an old pocket knife that I forgot to put into the picture. :P
100_9693.jpg

And that picture of the tree!!! 8) That's got to be the most perfect looking OLD oak tree I have ever seen! :o

Had a great time!!!! Thanks for having me over, Marty!!! :) And it was a pleasure to be able to hunt with you all! :) Congrats on your finds!!!

Nana ;)

OH..almost forgot James....I was gonna show you this...

Sunday at the ballgame...guess who comes flying over? :D He 'bout gave me a heartattack waving those wings at us! :-X

000_0325.jpg

000_0329.jpg

000_0330.jpg

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats alot of silver. And man is that merc beat up. Still a good find. Congrats.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
James: you're looking good in jeans and a tee....nice finds ....go get that 16-d merc and buy me lunch okay........wait how bout a new pair of pricey headphones instead.... aloha

OP
OP
James in Alabama

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
Thanks Nana for the return reply

Yep, it was a nice day for sure we all got together and hunted. Congrats to you and Marty on your finds that day. The pics look great of your son flying over the ballfield. Really cool. Thanks for sharing. Hey, when do you think we can all get together again? Maybe this weekend? Would love going back to BS again :P

HH....James

Nana40 said:
Let me tell ya..between James and Marty, I don't know which one pulled the keeper coins the quickest! :D I went to Marty's place around 1:00 and we chatted a few minutes and got to hunting. After maybe five minutes I look up and here comes Marty over with that possum-faced grin. :D I knew by the look on his face he'd found something good, and Yep...he did! 8) After finding several pieces of regular change, I finally found a 1927 wheat (my only keeper coin). Around 3:00 James and his gang drive up and after the usual howdy do's we get back to hunting. James couldn't have been swinging five minutes and he's hollering, "I got a merc!" :D Can you believe the luck of those two! :D I'm not sure what everyone ended up with (except for James) cause I had to be back home by 6:00 for a party. :'( I did find a tax token! ;D Gotta build my supply back up, ya know! ;D OH..and an old pocket knife that I forgot to put into the picture. :P
100_9693.jpg

And that picture of the tree!!! 8) That's got to be the most perfect looking OLD oak tree I have ever seen! :o

Had a great time!!!! Thanks for having me over, Marty!!! :) And it was a pleasure to be able to hunt with you all! :) Congrats on your finds!!!

Nana ;)

OH..almost forgot James....I was gonna show you this...

Sunday at the ballgame...guess who comes flying over? :D He 'bout gave me a heartattack waving those wings at us! :-X

000_0325.jpg

000_0329.jpg

000_0330.jpg

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
I don't know about this weekend, but maybe the next? :)

Nana :)

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
hey James, Eddie, and Gary thx for coming,it was awesome meeting you guys even if it was for such a short time.....i hope you made some great finds...maybe we can get together again sometime.....Nana, thank you for coming up here and also coordinating all the phone calls with James.....i wanna see a pic of that knife you found...i never got to see it.

now for my possum face finds......soon as we got started hunting Nana went one way and i went another....about 5 minutes into it i got a signal on the excal that was kinda scratchy.....started chiseling through the hard as rock dirt and about 6 inches down i pulled out a no date buff...i thought ''sweeeeet''....my 3rd buff found....rescanned the hole...still had a target....pulled out a 51 rosie....thought that was cool....rescanned and ANOTHER target....grabbed a hand full of dirt and found a '43 merc......my best ever pocket spill....half an hour or so later dug out a '40 wheatie....not too bad if i do say so myself.......camera batteries are dead so sorry no pics.....you have all seen these coins before anyway

now for the pics james took of the area we hunted.....we were on an old soccer field beside a school that was built in 1899 and torn down last year to make way for the new high school football stadium.......dont worry the plans show that the huge oak will not be disturbed.....soon as the football season ends they are going to demolish the old stadium (you can see part of it in the pics)...my house is just across the street from the old stadium and there should be a WHOLE other post with those finds hehehehe

on a side note James and Nana.....i noticed a bulldozer and a road grader at the soccer field today and the little street is closed between there and the 2 old house lots ....thanks again for coming and i had a blast....we will definately do this again sometime/somewhere

HH
Marty

OP
OP
James in Alabama

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
Thanks Marty!

I appreciate the return reply and post. Interesting history behind the old school and soccer field for sure. Congrats on the pocket spill. Anytime during the weekend just let me know and we'll all hook up again whether it be in your area, at the fort, or wherever. Nice meeting you again and enjoyed the hunt.

HH....James

Marty-Graw said:
hey James, Eddie, and Gary thx for coming,it was awesome meeting you guys even if it was for such a short time.....i hope you made some great finds...maybe we can get together again sometime.....Nana, thank you for coming up here and also coordinating all the phone calls with James.....i wanna see a pic of that knife you found...i never got to see it.

now for my possum face finds......soon as we got started hunting Nana went one way and i went another....about 5 minutes into it i got a signal on the excal that was kinda scratchy.....started chiseling through the hard as rock dirt and about 6 inches down i pulled out a no date buff...i thought ''sweeeeet''....my 3rd buff found....rescanned the hole...still had a target....pulled out a 51 rosie....thought that was cool....rescanned and ANOTHER target....grabbed a hand full of dirt and found a '43 merc......my best ever pocket spill....half an hour or so later dug out a '40 wheatie....not too bad if i do say so myself.......camera batteries are dead so sorry no pics.....you have all seen these coins before anyway

now for the pics james took of the area we hunted.....we were on an old soccer field beside a school that was built in 1899 and torn down last year to make way for the new high school football stadium.......dont worry the plans show that the huge oak will not be disturbed.....soon as the football season ends they are going to demolish the old stadium (you can see part of it in the pics)...my house is just across the street from the old stadium and there should be a WHOLE other post with those finds hehehehe

on a side note James and Nana.....i noticed a bulldozer and a road grader at the soccer field today and the little street is closed between there and the 2 old house lots ....thanks again for coming and i had a blast....we will definately do this again sometime/somewhere

HH
Marty

eddiebhome

Greenie
Jun 5, 2005
Clay, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT-e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been very long since I posted here. Had a nice time detecting last weekend with James and Gary at the park in Bessemer. The detecting was really very tough. The soil must be very mineralized and there is a big of junk in it as well. I used my smaller six inch coil and that made all the difference. Even so, all the coins I found gave a very poor broken signal. As Gary said, that is why there are still older coins in that old park. But the signals were repeatable had the higher tone I associate with a coin, so I dug. Ended up with a lot of trash, but also the V nickel. Here's the picture.

I appreciated Marty inviting us to his hunting ground. And it was nice to meet Nana, too. James talks about you guys often. It was about a 90 mile trip from the park we hunted in the morning, but I always love getting to try new spots. After Marty left I found a Merc and a wheat. Nana got away before I show it to her. Both coins were on the sloped area between the fence and the sidewalk near the giant oak tree in James' picture.

Thanks to all for the good weekend outing.
Eddie

Attachments

• Park.jpg
    Park.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Albertville.jpg
    Albertville.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 377

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice assorment of coins

That sure is one beat-up Merc. But hey, silver is silver

Congrats!!!

OP
OP
James in Alabama

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
WTG Eddie on your first "V" nickel ;) Thanks for your reply and post too! Fun times hunting with friends and finding the good stuff it doesn't get any better than that :D Now we're all waiting for Gary to reply and post ;D Gary, where are you? ??? ::) :P :D

HH

eddiebhome said:
Hello All,

Been very long since I posted here. Had a nice time detecting last weekend with James and Gary at the park in Bessemer. The detecting was really very tough. The soil must be very mineralized and there is a big of junk in it as well. I used my smaller six inch coil and that made all the difference. Even so, all the coins I found gave a very poor broken signal. As Gary said, that is why there are still older coins in that old park. But the signals were repeatable had the higher tone I associate with a coin, so I dug. Ended up with a lot of trash, but also the V nickel. Here's the picture.

I appreciated Marty inviting us to his hunting ground. And it was nice to meet Nana, too. James talks about you guys often. It was about a 90 mile trip from the park we hunted in the morning, but I always love getting to try new spots. After Marty left I found a Merc and a wheat. Nana got away before I show it to her. Both coins were on the sloped area between the fence and the sidewalk near the giant oak tree in James' picture.

Thanks to all for the good weekend outing.
Eddie

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey James and Eddie,
You guys take some mean pics. Eddie, finding that 'V' nickel amongst all that junk and nails was quite a feat. Very nice find and a nice coin for breaking the 1900 barrier. I went back to the park on Sunday determined to find another one. After 5 plus hours of hunting I managed a total of one memorial cent at about 6" next to a broke bottle top. Thought I had winner but alas, no cigar. I even got the camera out before pulling the coin. I enjoyed our hunt Saturday, we'll have to do it again soon. Marty, thank you for inviting us up to hunt your spot. Nana, you are one determined hunter, it was good to see you again. Let's do some BS hunting soon.
Gary

Attachments

• DSCN9210.JPG
    DSCN9210.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN9212.JPG
    DSCN9212.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 309

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHH! Marty! :o Sounds like time is running out on that site we hunted last weekend. :-\ Hope you can get back over there and dig some more goodies before it's off limits to ya! Here's a pic of the knife...it's just an old pocket knife..nothing special about it..

Had fun!

100_9699.jpg

Eddie!!! Welcome to Tnet! Glad to see you posting! :) Sorry I didn't get to see your day's finds and say goodbye but look at you!!! You did good! Purdy silver! 8) And that was a great nickel find too! Was a pleasure to meet and hunt with ya.

Gary!!! Another newbie to the forum! Welcome to Tnet! :) Was fun to hunt with you again. Hope your surgery went well. :) You gotta hurry and get better so's we can go hunting again. :)

TimC....I don't think a permit is required in B'ham... anyone know?

Take care........Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread