Back in the Saddle - Silver and a Buff

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

Hope you’re doing well! I’ve been doing more lurking than hunting lately. It’s been a busy season at work for me lately and I haven’t been hitting the dirt at my regular pace.

My brother and I decided to meet up today. I scoped out one site early this morning which was a bust. It’s where an old school was demolished but the site has been too significantly altered since it was taken down.

My brother and I then met up at one of our old, faithful spots. It’s a permission which has produced well in the past but doesn’t put out too much anymore. Within the first 20 minutes he came running up to me to show me he had found some silver (I’ll let him post the details). I couldn’t believe it, there aren’t too many decent signals left here.

I altered my CTX today to discriminate less and I bumped the sensitivity way up looking for deep, oldies. It worked out. After finding a few wheats I had previously missed, I got a wispy, deep signal. Probably at 7”-8”. It wasn’t even consistently repeatable. I was in a dig it all kind of mood so I went for it. Man was I shocked when I saw a silver dime flip out of the hole and onto my drop cloth. It must’ve been deep and on edge. Pretty awesome!

Toward the end of the hunt I was trying an area that produced well in the past. I got a mixed mid-tone at around 7”. Well, about 4” down while digging I saw a nickel flip out of the hole and onto my drop cloth. Huh? That’s not what I was expecting! Turns out it was a buff. That mid tone? Turns out it was just a nail several inches deeper than the buff after all.

Anyways, just wanted to encourage you all the sometimes those well-worked sites are worth revisiting, especially with some revamped settings.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572818158.658491.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572818171.601569.jpg

Good luck out there!
-W

Upvote 21

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt and advice!:occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's so satisfying to find super deep silver, congrats on some nice digs

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wash, your having a great year for a newly wed... your picked the right girl, to let you detect and have a family life... Good for you.. Your friend, Basss

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds brother!! I love the “hunted out spots” I recently started running my Nox wide open, no descrim and full sensitivity with the small coil. I get great depth but you have to go slow and listen to all the iron but it pays off once you get used to it. Keep it up kid!! Did your brother beat you? Again?? We shall see I guess

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, glad you kept at it, congrats!:icon_thumleft:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great advice to play with the settings on pounded sites, congrats on your silver Rosie find! :thumbsup:
On sites with heavy iron I run my Deus in '0' discrimination, the sensitivity at '95' and I lower the frequency to '12'.

This makes for a very noisy hunt, but when you swing over something non-ferrous or pure iron it really jumps out at you. :laughing7:
Dave

Mrs. SilverFreak

Sep 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunting. Bryce messed with our settings a little bit last weekend. I still didn't find any coins, but I had fun. I got spoiled with a silver my first two hunts, and haven't found one since.:laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds man.

Boy your soil must get a lot of rain.

I get wheat's like that every once in awhile and they usually come from some marshy type soils.

Jer

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin day, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice finds man.

Boy your soil must get a lot of rain.

I get wheat's like that every once in awhile and they usually come from some marshy type soils.

Jer

Oh yeah! Seattle’s reputation for rain isn’t for nothing haha. These were primarily found under a cedar tree too. The acidity from those trees absolutely roasts copper coins alive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread