First Canadian silver and some clad too

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was too cold yesterday to detect and the wind was blowing too. Today was different! So out we go (me and my wife) to a new elementary school. I used my trusty T2SE with the Cors Shrew. The conditions were for lack of a better word- weird. Coins were coming in much different than how they usually do on the ID. This is one of those areas where the dirt is red and filled with the golden sparkle flakes everywhere. Well onto the meat and potatoes. I found some clad quarters, dimes, a nickel and crusty pennies. Ran over the entire chip bark lot and had just told my wife "It's time to get the ORX out and sweep up". Right at that moment i got a quarter signal and out pops this pretty shiny coin at 7" in the chip and red clay. It is a 1953 Canadian Silver 25 cent piece. It looks rather worn to me and is my first Canadian Silver but very excited to get it.

Question is, HOW did it get here in the states on a playground? I have a feeling some kid raided a coin collection and wanted to ditch the evidence maybe.
After that find the ORX was deployed and I found another 2 quarters, a couple more dimes, a nickel and more pennies. Oh yeah, also found a "Chuck E Cheese" token. First token I've dug.

First and second picture is the silver coin. Last pic is the crusty clad haul. The silver was already sort of scratched looking on the face when found.

So in all today, the 1953 silver canada 25c piece, 7 clad quarters, 10 clad dimes, 2 nickels, 14 clad pennies. I threw some corroded pennies away because they had edges that was ragged. Pleased with today's silver and will not complain about coinstar clad!
1935CanSilvFace.jpg 1953CanSilver.jpg
111019_crustycladhaul.jpg

Upvote 16
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses.
I really enjoy finding silver coins. While some people enjoy gold and I would really welcome such finds, silver for me flips all the right switches. Wish coins today had silver in them.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too cold yesterday, in NC? Wow, and to think I'm retiring down there to get away from the NE winters! It does make one wonder how the heck that coin ends up down there, but congrats on a great find!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
It was too cold yesterday to detect...

It looks rather worn to me and is my first Canadian Silver but very excited to get it.

Question is, HOW did it get here in the states on a playground? I have a feeling some kid raided a coin collection and wanted to ditch the evidence maybe.

I’m with Jeffinmass, lol. I went out today in 39.2F weather and thought it was beautiful. [emoji2371] Tomorrow we are forecasted for 4” of snow.

She’s a little worn which makes me think it unlikely that it came from a collection. Likely dropped by someone visiting family or driving down to Florida when we take it over in March. Who knows but what I do know is that is a great find, Congrats.

That quarter was minted very early in her reign as queen.

‘53 was the first year with her effigy in Canada...

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too cold yesterday, in NC? Wow, and to think I'm retiring down there to get away from the NE winters! It does make one wonder how the heck that coin ends up down there, but congrats on a great find!

When it is mid 30's with winds of 10-20mph, yeah that is not something I would go out in. Learned my lesson earlier this year going out in such conditions. Me and my wife both got sick! Getting older sucks, 20 yrs ago I would have paid it no mind.
Sadly as you get older those old injuries hurt more too, and what took you a day or two to get over now takes a week +
It's been extremely difficult to adjust too, one day it is in the 60s and 70s a couple days later the 30's as a high. We had thick frost yesterday morning too. Weird weather.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Canadian Silver and a long way from Canada too! :icon_thumright:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Canada has some nice looking silver, ive got a few ive found in different places...

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver quarter. I've dug a lot of Canadian coins here from pennies to quarters but never a silver coin.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Great day out:icon_thumright:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the Canadian silver. Could have been a "show and tell" piece that a child took to school and lost.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up in Montana , in the sixties , we saw a fair bit of Canadian silver - wouldn't expect you to find much of it in NC. Nice !

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Way to go! That's a cool find. I find the occasional Canadian silver. Maybe one or two per year. Of course, I'm only a few hours from the border. Because those coins are essentially the same size and composition as the US coins, they made their way into circulation so you can find them all over!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread