Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This morning I headed back for 2 hours to a site that archeologists had dug for four months in 2018. The iron here is so bad now, it’s as if someone put the soil into a blender and chopped everything up. :BangHead: I keep having to remind myself that this isn’t the same site that I detected for 4 years prior to the arkies making an appearance. I have to reduce the discrimination to ‘0’ and set the frequency at 12hz in the hopes of finding anything non-ferrous. When I first found the miniature iron, I thought it was a broken plow tooth. :laughing7: I’m thinking this piece dates to the mid-1800s. Thankfully I put it in my pouch and didn’t toss it in the ditch. I think the nickel-plated brass tube is from a hanging gas lamp, but I’m not sure. :icon_scratch: I also found a small caliber musket ball with teeth and scratch marks on it, and a squished harness bell.

Flat Irons / SAD Irons
“Blacksmiths started forging simple flat irons in the late Middle Ages. Plain metal irons were heated by a fire or on a stove. Some were made of stone, like these soapstone irons from Italy. Earthenware and terracotta were also used, from the Middle East to France and the Netherlands. Flat irons were also called sad irons or smoothing irons. Metal handles had to be gripped in a pad or thick rag. Some irons had cool wooden handles and in 1870 a detachable handle was patented in the US. This stayed cool while the metal bases were heated, and the idea was widely imitated. Cool handles stayed even cooler in "asbestos sad irons". The sad in sad iron (or sadiron) is an old word for solid, and in some contexts this name suggests something bigger and heavier than a flat iron. Goose or tailor's goose was another iron name, and this came from the goose-neck curve in some handles. In Scotland people spoke of gusing (goosing) irons.

You'd need at least two irons on the go together for an effective system: one in use, and one re-heating. Large households with servants had a special ironing-stove for this purpose. Some were fitted with slots for several irons, and a water-jug on top. At home, ironing traditional fabrics without the benefit of electricity was a hot, arduous job. Irons had to be kept immaculately clean, sand-papered and polished. They must be kept away from burning fuel and be regularly but lightly greased to avoid rusting. Beeswax prevented irons sticking to starched cloth. Constant care was needed over temperature. Experience would help decide when the iron was hot enough, but not so hot that it would scorch the cloth. A well-known test was spitting on the hot metal, but Charles Dickens describes someone with a more genteel technique in The Old Curiosity Shop. She held "the iron at an alarmingly short distance from her cheek, to test its temperature..."

Thanks very much for looking, :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• 20191110_094044.jpg
    20191110_094044.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191103_093355.jpg
    20191103_093355.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191103_093326.jpg
    20191103_093326.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20191110_151510.jpg
    20191110_151510.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20191110_150404.jpg
    20191110_150404.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20191110_151047.jpg
    20191110_151047.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191110_151131.jpg
    20191110_151131.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20191110_151412.jpg
    20191110_151412.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 14

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The iron is definitely recognizable. That's a nice save with a story of it's own. One could only imagine it being used so long ago. Congrats on it all. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. The iron is definitely recognizable. That's a nice save with a story of it's own. One could only imagine it being used so long ago. Congrats on it all. :thumbsup:

You hit the nail on the head... with this iron Patriot. :laughing7:
For me, it's all about the stories our finds tell.
Was this used to iron high collars or shirt cuffs or was it used for training young girls on the household chore of ironing. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for your post,
Dave

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That info about the sad iron was actually pretty interesting! Thanks for enlightening us all!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That info about the sad iron was actually pretty interesting! Thanks for enlightening us all!

It's little tid-bits of information like... what does the 'SAD' stand for, that keeps me up at night. :laughing7:
Just kidding, it's my wife's and dogs snoring combined that keeps me up!

Thanks for your post my friend,
Dave

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Good that you got out yesterday Dave. After the snow we had today, I’m not holding out much hope for more detecting this year.

Dallas

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fine little miniature iron! :thumbsup:
I found a similar one in my yard with the handle still attached but smooshed down flat.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Thank you professor. :thumbsup:

Good that you got out yesterday Dave. After the snow we had today, I’m not holding out much hope for more detecting this year.

Dallas

The long term forecast doesn't look all that bad. All we need is some rain and a few sunny days to melt the 15cms of snow we got yesterday. :thumbsup:
If anything, the early snowfall will insulate the ground keeping it from freezing, which hopefully means we'll be detecting into December.

Best of luck to you Dallas,
Dave

PS. See the temperature graph I took from The Weather Network this morning.

That's a fine little miniature iron! :thumbsup:
I found a similar one in my yard with the handle still attached but smooshed down flat.

Any idea what these were used for Nick?
I found a later example a few years ago (see pic below) and was told they were for ironing gentleman's high collared shirts. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for your post,
Dave

Attachments

• twn.png
    twn.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20180923_16_16_19_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180923_16_16_19_Pro (2).jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 51

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a later example a few years ago (see pic below) and was told they were for ironing gentleman's high collared shirts. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for your post,
Dave

Greetings, Dave. I can't say for certain, but I've heard that they were given out as samples, by sad iron salesmen, for young girls to play with.
Nick

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for your post,
Dave

Greetings, Dave. I can't say for certain, but I've heard that they were given out as samples, by sad iron salesmen, for young girls to play with.
Nick

Sounds like an old wives tale to me Nick... probably started by my old wife! :laughing7:

We've been getting a bunch of 'lake affect snow' here since Monday, so unless we have a major melt, detecting for this year is over for me. :sadsmiley:
So starting this weekend, my plans are to start tumbling some of my ferrous iron finds for preservation.

Last year I was still detecting in the first week of January.
How's the amount of snow in Connecticut?

Dave

Attachments

• 20191114_053033.jpg
    20191114_053033.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20191114_052636.jpg
    20191114_052636.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 43

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT

We've been getting a bunch of 'lake affect snow' here since Monday, so unless we have a major melt, detecting for this year is over for me. :sadsmiley:

Dave

I hate when I’m right (except when disagreeing with wife, then it’s the best). I’m tempted to take a shovel out to my park and shovel a grid out on Sunday. Seems like a lot of work though. [emoji848]

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of these small irons are billed or sold as salesman samples. They are not.

There were lots of different sizes and shapes for different uses.

From the Saturday Evening Post - 1905

sad irons.JPG

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an old wives tale to me Nick... probably started by my old wife! :laughing7:

So starting this weekend, my plans are to start tumbling some of my ferrous iron finds for preservation.

Last year I was still detecting in the first week of January.
How's the amount of snow in Connecticut?

Dave
Nothing but flurries here and not much of those either...however, the ground is starting to freeze and that bothers me. I'm still hoping to do some 'Non-Canadian' Thanksgiving Weekend detecting in the woods if the ground is soft enough.
Nick

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1771353
Thanks for clarifying that, DCMatt! :icon_thumleft:
Nick

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old iron save Dave. Congrats

Thanks very much buddy. :thumbsup:
I was in Niagara Falls last week, but only long enough to see my customers at Equip Rentals on Montrose Road.
Dave

I hate when I’m right (except when disagreeing with wife, then it’s the best). I’m tempted to take a shovel out to my park and shovel a grid out on Sunday. Seems like a lot of work though.

If that's what you have to do to maintain your sanity during the long winter months ahead, then I say go for it. :laughing7:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Thanks very much for the information Matt. :occasion14:
I'd think these little irons would've been a little too valuable to simply hand out as 'Salesman Samples'.

The example I found likely dates from 1860 - 70... makes sense that folks would have smaller size irons for smaller articles of clothing. :thumbsup:
Dave

Nothing but flurries here and not much of those either...however, the ground is starting to freeze and that bothers me. I'm still hoping to do some 'Non-Canadian' Thanksgiving Weekend detecting in the woods if the ground is soft enough.
Nick

Looks like you've still got some mild weather ahead Nick. (See the screen shot below)
If you've missed the snow in your area, you'll be detecting for a few weeks yet. :icon_thumright:
Dave

I too appreciated DCMatt's contribution.
Members sharing their accumulated knowledge and information is what makes Tnet such a great resource! :hello2:
Thanks again Matt,
Dave

Attachments

• Hartford, Connecticut 7 Day Weather Forecast .png
    Hartford, Connecticut 7 Day Weather Forecast .png
    59.7 KB · Views: 38

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread