paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just before the snow I got permission to check out the yard around an awesome 1760's house. It's been detected before, but the open land is pretty large and the Deus is good at sniffing out what other detectors missed so I gave it a shot and was not disappointed! The area around the house had been done thoroughly so I started further away towards a slope leading to the treeline. After a few of the usual modern trash targets I got a perfect 92-93 tone. It was actually too consistent and shallow so I thought it would be a clad dime, but instead a nice green disc fell out of the plug. It wasn't until later when I started cleaning it that I realized it wasn't a toasted KG copper, but a Vermontensium landscape copper!

DSC09996.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00006.JPG

The details aren't that great, but the ground was actually pretty kind to it; I think it was just well circulated before being lost. That said, there's still more than enough features to identify the variety as a Ryder 6. It's an off-strike so the date missed the planchette, but this would be 1786. I like how much of the sun and mountains survived and the reverse is actually clear as long as you get the lighting right. Landscape coppers in any condition are rare finds though so I'm thrilled this turned up! :hello2:

I did find one other colonial copper lurking in the yard. This one was worn down to almost nothing before being lost:

DSC09980.JPG DSC09982.JPG

I can just barely make out Britannia and the left-facing bust so I know it's a King George II half penny. Based on the weight it's actually a regal issue too.

The prettiest copper award goes to the half cent though:

DSC09989.JPG DSC09992.JPG

It's an 1804 draped bust half cent with a crosslet four and stems. This is easily my best looking half cent with lots of detail on the obverse and a nice clear date. It was actually right next to the house too and one of those deep and faint high-tones that the Deus is awesome at catching as long as you're going slow.

I did find a number of more recent coins spread around the house that were also missed:

DSC09970.JPG DSC09971.JPG

A 1905 v-nickel, a 1906 barber dime (in great shape), and a 1907 IHP. It's silly, but I like that the dates line up. :laughing7:

One very cool relic turned up that I think might be sterling:

DSC09974.JPG DSC09976.JPG DSC09977.JPG

At first I thought it was a fishing lure, but after I cleaned it up I saw the pin attachment on the back. There are no hallmarks nor any other maker's marks on the thing, but it seems to be solid silver. I'm not even sure how old it it, but I suspect Victorian. Maybe a locally made piece, but it should have some sort of a mark on it.

Not too much in the way of older relics, but a couple of nice buttons:

DSC09978.JPG DSC09979.JPG

And last but not least an eagle piece:

DSC09966.JPG DSC09968.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's the center of a stamped brass 1850's tongue buckle. Definitely a cool find even if it's broken!

I know there's more around the yard so I'll be giving it another few passes this spring. There's snow on the ground currently and it's very cold, but I think it'll warm up next week so I'll be aiming on a few more spots before the winter really sets in.

Upvote 26

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice digs Paleo! I have regular VT but still lusting after a Landscape. I think they are the nicest looking coppers. Any half cent is great but you got a real sharp one there. Congrats on several very nice finds.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Paleo! I have regular VT but still lusting after a Landscape. I think they are the nicest looking coppers.

I agree, it's my favorite design of all the state coppers. Supposedly the design was considered so odd at the time that they wouldn't circulate outside of Vermont which is why the Vermont mint switched to a design that better resembled the British halfpenny. It's probably why they're so rarely dug outside of Vermont as well as the fact that the mintage was low those first couple of years.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt realize the value held by those 1/2 Cent's - Thats got some great detail as well for 215 years young.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Colonial farm , scored some tough early American coppers ,

Good day !

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful finds, VT Landscape is high on my list.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I love the Vermont copper, that is on my want to dig list! That Half Cent is a beauty too.

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very well! Down here we hardly ever get those kind of state coppers! Way to go!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, awesome man. Congrats on some beautiful finds.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the State copper. Even the Connecticuts are very rare in my area. Only ever found one that I could positively id

Last edited:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds!! Always a great day after scoring ancient.:occasion14:

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Great Hunt! I think your pin may have been a lure at one time, possibly a spinner fashioned into a pin. I’ll check my reference books. Congrats

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds on all. Looks as if they may be worth some $N
I'm getting a trip together for next fall to Ludlow & hopefully my friend will be able to line up some old places.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome DB:thumbsup:.....thought I was gonna see a half dollar though, your thread title left me hanging as I browsed what's new

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the old coppers! :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome DB.....thought I was gonna see a half dollar though, your thread title left me hanging as I browsed what's new

I wish; that hunt was good, but not draped bust half dollar good! :laughing7:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did really well there! Congrats on the VT, KG, and the half cent is just about perfect! Thanks for a good hunt story this makes me want to get a Deus!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions