Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't found much lately but wanted to share this with you all. Not treasure but I was really shaken when i found it. Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital was operated from 1931 until the 70s or 80s. There were lots of stories about experiments or research they were doing here but I dont know how much of that is true. I think it was kind of the "golden age" of psychiatric hospitals when this place was in use. I heard there was a cemetery for the deceased but was never able to find it. One day I was detecting across the road from where the hospital used to be and I came across the most stark sight I ever saw. It was the cemetery in a field about a half mile away from the hospital.
It is hard to convey a feeling with a picture but I think you understand how that is. This is the saddest damn place I've ever been.
Each grave is just a number. Later on when the park opened they put a "key" in to ID the graves.
The hospital was torn down 10 or 15 years ago. They said the place just had bad karma and wanted to get rid of it instead of restoring for park use.
On the monument it says-

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them, for God proved them worthy for himself.

20190618_100624.jpg 20190618_100703.jpg 20190618_100839.jpg 20190618_100855.jpg
Screenshot_20191113-204637_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Gene that truly looks like a sad and lonely place. The graves seem to go on forever. There was an assylum not too far from me that is a park now. It to has a grave site and there are only numbers on the grave markers. May every last soul in these places rest in peace.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sad!! I bet that was a hard one to come across.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang ... That really is sad.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet one gets some weird vibes walking through that place on a dark dreary day.....

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makes you wonder how long it will be before they throw away the headstones and build houses or a strip mall on top of the graves. Very sad place indeed.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the area is maintained! So many cemeteries are abandoned and allowed to become overgrown and totally forgotten.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us wouldn't even know places like this exist or even hear much about the past....If we didn't see pictures like this. You hear stories, but seeing the pictures put a whole different reality to it. Some bad things went on in some of these places. We think we are all civilized and not all that long ago were experimenting on people with some crazy ideas.....It's kind of scary in some ways. Thanks for the pictures!! And ...ya...it looks like a place that would make you stop and think a little........

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the people who lived in psychiatric hospitals back then, including those had died. God bless them all.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Creepy, I don’t like places like that. I detected an old torn down hospital this past summer, the whole property was gloomy even on a bright summer day.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wonder if the case files were destroyed along with the visitor registry.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scary place....thanks for sharing. I read Wikipeda about the hospital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_Psychiatric_Hospital Even more scary.
Interesting ist the prior land use described:
"It was reported that the houses and farms which were obtained in 1928 were considered "very old". Some of the structured destroyed for the hospital and farm were built before the Revolutionary War."

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just unsettling, the thought of what so many tortured souls endured and then buried under a number, sad and tragic.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a huge cemetery for an old psychiatric hospital. There was a large psych hospital/poor house/TB facility a couple miles from my house. Opened in 1880, closed in the 1980’s, torn down last year. There is a small cemetery in the woods that the local boy scouts have cleaned up. Similar simple markers, but only about 20 or so. I think the majority of the dead were taken and buried by family, this small cemetery was just for poor souls with no one. It is now an uber trendy high end townhouse development. I’m sure the majority of new home owners there will never know the history under their feet.

OP
OP
Gene Mean

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scary place....thanks for sharing. I read Wikipeda about the hospital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_Psychiatric_Hospital Even more scary.
Interesting ist the prior land use described:
"It was reported that the houses and farms which were obtained in 1928 were considered "very old". Some of the structured destroyed for the hospital and farm were built before the Revolutionary War."

Wow! Thanks for the info. I hadn't read that.

OP
OP
Gene Mean

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is just unsettling, the thought of what so many tortured souls endured and then buried under a number, sad and tragic.

Yes, they didn't know what to do with these folks back then.

OP
OP
Gene Mean

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Gene that truly looks like a sad and lonely place. The graves seem to go on forever. There was an assylum not too far from me that is a park now. It to has a grave site and there are only numbers on the grave markers. May every last soul in these places rest in peace.

This is the saying on the monument to all of them-

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them, for God proved them, and found them worthy for himself.

That really gets to me if I stand there and read it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread