CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great haul - always have to check when I'm in the local supermarket.

I found probably about 8 silver dimes total over the last couple years including an 1829 capped bust - so you never know. A couple of times I have grabbed fistfuls of coins from the reject tray. I have always wonder who would leave that much, but most people don't care I guess.

Good luck and hope you score some more silver.

I have a buddy who has gotten a 1 reale. It was pretty smooth, so I assumed it might be someone's pocket piece. Kinda small for that, though, I guess. Yep. I got a 2 cent piece last year. That was crazy. I can't imagine that having been spent/circulated for around 100 years, so, it had to have been from a collection, I think.
And, yeah, walking in there and seeing the reject just loaded with coins, silver or not, is still exciting. Don't know how anyone can walk away from or by that!
Thanks for commenting.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I ever found was a wheatie. You lucky dog! Great haul.

Just gotta keep hunting. I think it may depend on the types of people that live in your area, too. I doubt you'd see many crazy finds in a neighborhood store where only rich people were dumping their saved up pocket change, for instance. There is a pretty diverse range of locals here in my mostly blue-collar town. I see all walks of life using the machine here. Thanks for commenting and for the congrats!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so how do you get into the machine ?do you own or ask permission? or how can i? i have wanted to it literally makes me sick seeing the coins go down the drain wo my inspection stamp of approval! ive bought from the line but i ask about machine and "the guy" always picks it up with the other money

are you all "the guy?"

also the reject does it get counted in your total as a customer or lose

There is the reject slot, which is on the outside of the machine and totally accessible to anyone walking by... which is where I find MOST of my good finds...
and then there is the dirt cup, which is an internal catch cup for stuff that shouldn't have ended up in the machine in the first place. I think it is to catch anything not round, essentially (bobby pins, postage stamps, etc.). Apparently the machine eats large dollar coins and drops them in the dirt cup, too. You have to ask store management for access to this, and, presumably, it works best if you claim to have accidentally put something into the machine you didn't mean to when using it. I've never seen inside it personally, so I can't attest to any riches there.
When I said I found MOST of my good stuff in reject slot, there is also good reason to check every surface of the machine, in the tray you dump the coins into, all around it, on the floor around the machine, on any surface of any nearby machine, and in the reject slots of adjacent kiddie games. I have found silver in all of those places before. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, When our 90 year old neighbor lady lost her husband to cancer, she had his silver collection that she needed to turn in to get some needed money for bills. She asked me if she should take them to the Bank and turn them in for cash. I told her I would look through them for her and see if she had any rare dates and then weigh all of them and tell her the value at that days silver value. Then she was armed with some knowledge and took them to a decent Gold / Silver dealer that gave her at least 10 times the face value plus decent profit for him I'm sure. It could have been a lady like her needing money and just not knowing the difference. Of course it also could have been some kid who stole someones collection, turned it to quick cash and left thinking the light colored ones were junk. Just a thought. Paul:coffee2:

I totally agree on all of that. I'll never know which it was, though. I always give a glance toward the service desk when I see coins in the reject... and there was no one there. And if I hadn't grabbed it up, the next person using the machine likely would have! I only hope whoever did lose it wasn't desperate for something important. Thanks for the downer there, pganjon. Just kidding, I'm still happy! HH and GL

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the large haul! There have been a couple like that on here over the last several years. I’ve checked one here a couple times, have found rejected Canadian clad dimes, but last winter I found over $100 in silver value quarters, dimes and Franklin half. The cup had overflowed on to the floor!

Oh, man! I'd love to see pics. Got a link? Thanks for the congrats, and congrats to you, as well!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve only ever found 1 Merc and occasional foreign coins. Wow! Big congrats!

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Schmoly! I'm a religious coinstar checker as well. Got about 6 silvers this year....never anything like that.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
I totally agree on all of that. I'll never know which it was, though. I always give a glance toward the service desk when I see coins in the reject... and there was no one there. And if I hadn't grabbed it up, the next person using the machine likely would have! I only hope whoever did lose it wasn't desperate for something important. Thanks for the downer there, pganjon. Just kidding, I'm still happy! HH and GL
Sorry, I didn't mean to down you. That's a lot of silver for a simple mistake. If it was stolen, that's not your fault. I would be lying if I said I don't look myself :icon_thumright: Just always don't know whether its OK to do or not. I feel like an alarm is going to go off and this big hand going to come out of the machine and lock me down till the coinstar police arrive :laughing7: Anyway' Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless! Paul:coffee2:

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I see the security live feed of you walking naked up to the machine. Pulling the coins out of the reject tray and upon looking around desperately cup them against your body and run away I will absolutely not accept that you found anything of value in the coinstar machine.

If you told me you found some used gum I might accept that if it still had some flavor left in it.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply amazing. Congrats on the super haul. It is still unbelievable to me that people leave this stuff in the reject bin, particularly in that quantity.

Sure beats my take over the weekend of 5 dimes, 1 nickel, 5 pennies and 4 mexican 50c coins on Sat., and then at the same place on Sun. of 6 dimes, 3 nickels, 1 Canadian dime, and 5 Mex pesos. All clad.

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless I see the security live feed of you walking naked up to the machine. Pulling the coins out of the reject tray and upon looking around desperately cup them against your body and run away I will absolutely not accept that you found anything of value in the coinstar machine.

If you told me you found some used gum I might accept that if it still had some flavor left in it.

Haha! I SURE wish I would have gotten it on video. The look of shock on my face and then me not knowing what to do would surely make anyone a believer! Don't know what I would have done if I was nekkid, too!

20191119_080405.jpg

Keep hunting! I just found 2 more lone silver rosies in there this morning. My luck's got to run out soon.
Thanks for commenting!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply amazing. Congrats on the super haul. It is still unbelievable to me that people leave this stuff in the reject bin, particularly in that quantity.

Sure beats my take over the weekend of 5 dimes, 1 nickel, 5 pennies and 4 mexican 50c coins on Sat., and then at the same place on Sun. of 6 dimes, 3 nickels, 1 Canadian dime, and 5 Mex pesos. All clad.

I know it! It blows my mind every time I go see a handful of coins or a single silver dime. Why would you leave that?!?
Thanks for commenting!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I didn't mean to down you. That's a lot of silver for a simple mistake. If it was stolen, that's not your fault. I would be lying if I said I don't look myself :icon_thumright: Just always don't know whether its OK to do or not. I feel like an alarm is going to go off and this big hand going to come out of the machine and lock me down till the coinstar police arrive :laughing7: Anyway' Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless! Paul:coffee2:

I was teasing. Trust me, I've put a lot of thought into the ethics of it, and found I am ok with the way I do it. If I ever found anything returnable, I would do it!
And... don't worry about the coinstar police. No one ever bats an eye at me and I get down on my hands and knees to check under the machine. And I've never even once used the machine legitimately!
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Schmoly! I'm a religious coinstar checker as well. Got about 6 silvers this year....never anything like that.

It may just be that I live in the right type of neighborhood/town for it. My brother, 30 miles away, doesn't find much in his more affluent town, either. But, he doesn't have near the free running-around time that I get. Keep hunting! Six is pretty good for one year, that is for sure. I went the first almost 6 months of this year without a single silver coinstar find, and I was checking just as frequently. Thanks for commenting!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Major congrats. I too am addicted to Coinstar. I thought it was a special day when I found ONE merc last year. Looks like some kid liquidated grandpa's coin collection!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread