Found a silver looking thing and a few coins.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out and dug for an hour or two at a 1910 house today, I would have stayed longer but my hands and feet were getting really cold so I guess 2 hours is it for today. My first coin was the wheatie (1925), then I found the dime and stinkin lincoln. I almost forgot to cover an area in the front yard, so I went over there and got a somewhat decent but still a little jumpy signal that I decided to dig. I was hoping for at least a clad quarter but the silver lookin thing (there's no backmark so I am not 100% sure on it) popped out which was pretty exciting and my first non-coin silver. Right after that my friend stopped by and I let him use my detector for a bit... found the key. I keep saying the season's over but I'll be detecting tomorrow at a different site. Thanks for reading and happy hunting! IMG_2097.JPG 59614541185__9E275BA5-D26E-49F0-A40A-4449760C910A.JPG

Edit: Anyone have any idea what the silver thing is or how old it is?

Last edited:
Upvote 21

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Bundle up and keep on truckin'. GL out there.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is but congtats on the silver. Hey swing till the ground is frozen. Thats what im going to do. Find yourself some woods. The leaves insulate the soil. Good luck.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm going to take a guess that it is some type of bird watching group medal or pin. You only have the or a lower part of it.
Sure looks like silver to me, grats and get back out there with warmer gear.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bird motif item is very cool. I believe it was a brooch that hung from a suspension bar that was likely engraved with the person's name or a fancy engraved pattern. It was probably made from flattening the bowl of a silver spoon and then cutting out the shape it is now. My personal opinion is that it probably dates somewhere in the 1890-1910 range.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks silver to me- some kind of charm? Nice find regardless!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the bird motif item is very cool. I believe it was a brooch that hung from a suspension bar that was likely engraved with the person's name or a fancy engraved pattern. It was probably made from flattening the bowl of a silver spoon and then cutting out the shape it is now. My personal opinion is that it probably dates somewhere in the 1890-1910 range.

Thanks. That would make a lot of sense... especially since there is no hallmark or anything.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bird medal is very unique. It looks entirely hand made and engraved. Really cool!

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost forgot to cover an area in the front yard, so I went over there and got a somewhat decent but still a little jumpy signal that I decided to dig. I was hoping for at least a clad quarter but the silver lookin thing (there's no backmark so I am not 100% sure on it) popped out which was pretty exciting and my first non-coin silver.

Edit: Anyone have any idea what the silver thing is or how old it is?

Silver bird.JPG

That engraving is all by hand.

Really nice!

Hangs from a bar like a military medal?

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That medal might be an award from a homing pigeon club of some sort. Very interesting piece.

Steve

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blow up your picture and look VERY carefully near the bottom of the back...there are some numbers/letters of some kind but they are very faint. Try using different lighting angles with the piece to see if you can glean anything further. But it’s silver, no doubt. Nice hunt!

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kinda wonder if that IS coin silver or at least made from an annealed, flattened, cut and engraved half dollar or dollar. I have seen evidence (including some MDing finds) that it was perfectly normal years ago to take a silver coin and make a badge or medallion hanger from it. Haha!... This, if indeed made from coin silver, would make it still not your first non-coin silver item, but way cooler than most of those, anyway!
Amazing find, and I would guess at least a century old. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread