Bobcat out of nowhere

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'm out looking for native artifacts just west of a major dry riverbed in Tucson, near homes and roads, so it's hardly the middle of nowhere. Checking along a high wall of dirt about 20 ft high and get to the end of the wall standing there in open area and this bad boy just walks right across from the backside of where the wall ends. Stops for a moment, looks at me (which is when I realize I left the bear spray in the car) and kept walking along. Didn't run off though, just took his time, so I got some decent shots. Went back to the car nearby and got the spray just in case, then got another reminder on the way back to the car, three suspicious looking dudes parked by this old ruins and eyeballing me, so never know if the bear spray will help for four legged or two legged trouble. No artifacts but a cool sighting. I'm guessing in the 40 pound range, but hard to be sure. First one I've ever seen and last place I expected it. Don't know why it turns the photos, they appear correct to me. If someone can flip em, thank you.

Attachments

• bobcat1.jpg
    bobcat1.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 155
  • bobcat2.jpg
    bobcat2.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 147
  • bobcat3.jpg
    bobcat3.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 13

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably closer to 20-25#, but with a winter coat they appear larger.

bobcat1-2.jpg

bobcat2-2.jpg

bobcat3-2.jpg

There is an adjustable setting on your camera/phone for the image size. I believe yours is set
to a larger setting, making for very large file sizes and huge images. Images would
post better (correct side up) if you reset that to something along the lines of 1000x800
(or thereabouts). Images would still be plenty big for internet use without any degrading
of the image, and they would load and post much faster.

FWIW, 99% of the time a bobcat is not going to bother you, so as long as
you keep a safe distance and don't corner it you'll be fine.

As for the bear spray, yes, it's a very good deterrent for 2-legged
critters. The technique is known as "Spray and Run"... moose.gif

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Excellent and thanks for all the helpful info

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep wouldn't want to mess with that.

Nice shots glad it all worked out ok.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I saw the my first ever wild bobcat this week. It was just moseying through my yard in SW Tucson.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful animal! Thanks for sharing pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread