First Chauffeur Badge & Double Silver Day!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I got to take today mostly off, so after doing a few errands, what do you think I wanted to do?

Damn right I wanted to detect!

It’s been cold here but in most places the ground is thawing out by midday. My first plan for the day fell through. I wanted to hunt near the University of Washington but with the Apple Cup today, all of the street parking was unavailable if you don’t have a permit. I wasn’t risking a sizable ticket so I decided to hit up an old friend who said I could hunt the 1940s rental he’s living in.

I was honestly just hoping to find a couple wheats. I usually have poor luck at permissions around here. I’m not sure what it is. My theory is that with all the rain in the Seattle area, people have filled and shifted their yards around a lot for drainage reasons.

Anyways, the little front yard gave up 4 Wheats which was a pretty good sign!

I moved the the larger backyard and was quickly discouraged. It had clearly been filled and shifted around for drainage. I was probably 80% done when I popped out the chauffeur badge. I could believe it! I’ve been seeing people find these quite a bit lately and never even knew what they were (even after detecting on and off for 14 years) until several months ago.

Turns out States used to issue these for identification purposes to professional drivers from about 1900-1950 when paper “taxi operator” licenses became much more common.

So that was pretty awesome. On my last little section of the yard I got the 56-D Rosie. Great! After finding those two items I decided I better cross grid the yard in case I missed anything. On my first line I got a weak high tone around 6 inches, I was flipping the dirt out of the bottom of the hole and saw shiny. Heck yeah! A 48-S Rosie.

At the end of my cross gridding I got a mid-tone at 4 inches and pulled up the vintage car. Not a single wheat in the backyard (the other 5 are from a different spot this afternoon).

So all in all, a lot more successful that I would’ve anticipated!

95A00DD6-754A-4F08-9E6E-A590346A2AE1.jpg
4DDF23D9-3543-44F3-9C57-7337E994803D.jpg
38BBF44E-9047-4FBF-919F-CBB0E968B58C.jpg

Let me know if you can guess the age of the car! No markings I can find. I seem to remember my dad having some of these and he grew up in the 50s so maybe that’s when they are from?

Happy hunting folks!!
-W

Upvote 23
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread