First Chauffeur Badge & Double Silver Day!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I got to take today mostly off, so after doing a few errands, what do you think I wanted to do?

Damn right I wanted to detect!

It’s been cold here but in most places the ground is thawing out by midday. My first plan for the day fell through. I wanted to hunt near the University of Washington but with the Apple Cup today, all of the street parking was unavailable if you don’t have a permit. I wasn’t risking a sizable ticket so I decided to hit up an old friend who said I could hunt the 1940s rental he’s living in.

I was honestly just hoping to find a couple wheats. I usually have poor luck at permissions around here. I’m not sure what it is. My theory is that with all the rain in the Seattle area, people have filled and shifted their yards around a lot for drainage reasons.

Anyways, the little front yard gave up 4 Wheats which was a pretty good sign!

I moved the the larger backyard and was quickly discouraged. It had clearly been filled and shifted around for drainage. I was probably 80% done when I popped out the chauffeur badge. I could believe it! I’ve been seeing people find these quite a bit lately and never even knew what they were (even after detecting on and off for 14 years) until several months ago.

Turns out States used to issue these for identification purposes to professional drivers from about 1900-1950 when paper “taxi operator” licenses became much more common.

So that was pretty awesome. On my last little section of the yard I got the 56-D Rosie. Great! After finding those two items I decided I better cross grid the yard in case I missed anything. On my first line I got a weak high tone around 6 inches, I was flipping the dirt out of the bottom of the hole and saw shiny. Heck yeah! A 48-S Rosie.

At the end of my cross gridding I got a mid-tone at 4 inches and pulled up the vintage car. Not a single wheat in the backyard (the other 5 are from a different spot this afternoon).

So all in all, a lot more successful that I would’ve anticipated!

95A00DD6-754A-4F08-9E6E-A590346A2AE1.jpg
4DDF23D9-3543-44F3-9C57-7337E994803D.jpg
38BBF44E-9047-4FBF-919F-CBB0E968B58C.jpg

Let me know if you can guess the age of the car! No markings I can find. I seem to remember my dad having some of these and he grew up in the 50s so maybe that’s when they are from?

Happy hunting folks!!
-W

Upvote 23

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul, Washingtonian! Your little car was made by the Barclay toy company from the early 1950's-early 1970's. They came in sets or individually on bubble cards. Earlier ones had metal wheels, later ones had plastic wheels. Cheers, Sub 8-)

barclay cars.jpg barclay car hauler.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Washingtonian, lovin’ that chauffeur badge...I haven’t seen one of those pop up for awhile. Congrats on a great day... Ddf.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I found a California badge like that last winter here in Az. First one I have ever found. Cool find.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cool Washingtonian, really nice badge. Local stuff is always my favorite. I'm glad you have one for your collection! I am pretty sure it won't be your last one either! I'm sure you saw this page but here it is if you haven't.
CALIFORNIA - Badge News

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great haul, Washingtonian! Your little car was made by the Barclay toy company from the early 1950's-early 1970's. They came in sets or individually on bubble cards. Earlier ones had metal wheels, later ones had plastic wheels. Cheers, Sub 8-)

View attachment 1775965 View attachment 1775966

That is perfect sub, you nailed it! Also explains the timeline of why I feel like I’ve seen my dad have these around somewhere. He was born in ‘52 so that timeline matches exactly. Thanks so much!!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey Washingtonian, lovin’ that chauffeur badge...I haven’t seen one of those pop up for awhile. Congrats on a great day... Ddf.

Thanks so much DDF and another congrats on your big first! I only really heard of chauffeur badges a few months ago. I’d never pulled one until today and was really pumped when I did! I’ll take a sweet relic like that over a modern silver any day.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice finds. I found a California badge like that last winter here in Az. First one I have ever found. Cool find.

Thanks John! I was reading that finding a California or NY one is easier than finding one from a smaller state (say Wyoming) because so many fewer were made in small states. Something for us to aspire to I suppose!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Too cool Washingtonian, really nice badge. Local stuff is always my favorite. I'm glad you have one for your collection! I am pretty sure it won't be your last one either! I'm sure you saw this page but here it is if you haven't.
CALIFORNIA - Badge News

I had not seen this page! Thank you very much for sending this. I had no idea this was a badge from the last year of issue. That makes it that much cooler! Cheers and happy hunting out there!!

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello washingtonian. Real nice digs...that sounds like one of those "To Remember" hunts.

Congrats on the chauffeur badge and other items. Good Luck out there. C9

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hello washingtonian. Real nice digs...that sounds like one of those "To Remember" hunts.

Congrats on the chauffeur badge and other items. Good Luck out there. C9

Thanks so much, it was a surprisingly good hunt. Caught me by surprise!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Badge is really coolmy friend and silver to boot good day

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Wash. I like that Chauffeur's badge. Throw in a couple silvers, and you had a great day.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! I would love to find a Chauffeur’s badge, congrats!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the chauffeur badge! And silver is always a welcome site, congrats :occasion14:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I love those old badges.

Jer

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That Chauffeur badge is a super cool find. Lots of old history to that one. Like the old car too. Nice hunt for sure. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread