Farmhouse Finds ... William III? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Farmhouse Finds ... William III?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
    962 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawks88 View Post
    Nice finds. Some great looking old coins and the William III is an awesome save. Congrats
    Thanks! I wish it had more detail, as it is in very rough shape, but I will take it.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    962 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Id vote banner the second anyone ever posts a William copper with nice details. They just dont seem to exist.
    Now I really wish this coin had detail! I find very few colonial coppers and large cents, most of which have been badly corroded by tough Massachusetts farm soil. This coin does not have the rough, green surface of some of my other slick copper finds, so I am thinking this coin's lack of detail was more from heavy circulation versus soil effects - who knows. Maybe I will luck out on my next one!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    9542 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac65 View Post
    Now I really wish this coin had detail! I find very few colonial coppers and large cents, most of which have been badly corroded by tough Massachusetts farm soil. This coin does not have the rough, green surface of some of my other slick copper finds, so I am thinking this coin's lack of detail was more from heavy circulation versus soil effects - who knows. Maybe I will luck out on my next one!
    Most come out worn. The rest are toasted. I rarely find any coppers that aren’t toasted from the water or fertilizer.
    Last edited by toasted; Dec 03, 2019 at 01:57 PM.
    A2coins and lenmac65 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    31905 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I vote banner also wow that's old and really cool. Well done

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Patriot

Apr 2016
    Georgia
    CTX 3030 Nox 800 Stealth 720i ,RTG 6" Lesche GS 36 Predator Raptor TRX pp
    6669 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Awesome coin. It don't get any better. Congrats!
    lenmac65 and Hawks88 like this.
    USMC 67-70/ VN 69-70

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
    938 times
    Prospecting
    first of all big congrats on this outstanding find. From my experience cleaning the german coppers 17xx it is extremely difficult cleaning those without destroying them. No acids!!!! No lemon juice!!!! I had good success with Läufer Glass erasers. German Amazon: "Läufer 69119 Glasfaserradierstift" With a circular motion and almost no pressure the results were good. Be careful "less is more" but some coins I was able to read the date on 'em. Practice on some less valuable coins. Order enough extra sticks as you will wear them down quickly.

Thank you all for your opinions. I am feeling more confident that it is a William III now. I am hoping it is 17th century, as I never find coins that old. Regardless, I am very excited about this coin despite its very poor condition, as it gives me hope there are other colonial items or coins to be found. I have never found Spanish silver or any capped bust coins, but now I am more hopeful. I am surprised I have found no buttons yet, but I am definitely going to slow things down and be more deliberate in my gridding. I actually found this coin zig-zagging back to the car. Again, thanks for the feedback!

It is without question a 1st issue William III Halfpenny 1695-1698. There is no other possibilities. It's not a James II tin halfpenny, and clearly not a William and Mary... that only leaves what I said for that type of reverse. After that they changed completely.
    lenmac65 likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    962 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Horst View Post
    I had good success with Läufer Glass erasers. German Amazon: "Läufer 69119 Glasfaserradierstift" With a circular motion and almost no pressure the results were good.
    Thanks for the tips, as I might do that for future coins. I don't think I am going to clean this one at all though, as I believe the details are worn off from spending versus obscured by mud or corrosion.
    Horst likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    962 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    It is without question a 1st issue William III Halfpenny 1695-1698. There is no other possibilities. It's not a James II tin halfpenny, and clearly not a William and Mary... that only leaves what I said for that type of reverse. After that they changed completely.
    Thanks for the additional insights; her upright right arm is the clue, right? I am convinced, and am very happy to have a 17th century find. While I would not purchase a coin in this condition, it was certainly fun to find and has sparked my imagination.
    Horst likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    962 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I vote banner also wow that's old and really cool. Well done
    Thanks for the kind sentiments and encouragement, but I think the condition should (and will) preclude this coin from such an honor. I'll just have to dig a better one next time .
    Horst likes this.

Thanks for the additional insights; her upright right arm is the clue, right? I am convinced, and am very happy to have a 17th century find. While I would not purchase a coin in this condition, it was certainly fun to find and has sparked my imagination.
    To be the 1st issue, yes. The 2nd issue had the date in the legend and 3rd issue her arm was across and not up.

As for cleaning, there's nothing to clean. That's the surface and anything you do will only make it look worse.
    lenmac65 and Horst like this.

us
    Sep 2005
    Puget Sound
    Minelab CTX 3030, Whites DFX
    10854 times
    Metal Detecting
    Badass! Way to go on a killer find. Don't see many of those around here. Keep up the good work!

us
    Apr 2013
    Eastern Massachusetts
    AT Pro, XP Deus
    3551 times
    Metal Detecting
    Got to love the old coppers. Certainly my favorite thing to find, regardless of their condition. Nice work!
    lenmac65, Horst and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TOM

Dec 2012
    UPSTATE NEW YORK
    1970 COMPASS- WHITES SILVER EAGLE- WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL- GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
    3807 times
    A BAD DAY OF DIGGING IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    28930 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on the old coppers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links