Photo of Pre-Civil War Steamboat Token

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks to Earthworks, here's photo of steam boat token I found recently. He says it was fired upon with buckshot. Below is more about People's Line. Token says "New York and Albany" and "People's Line of Steam Boat" (It was found about 1/4 mile from the Hudson River)

http://www.davidrumsey.com/detail?id=1-1-24541-900045&name=Map+Peoples+Line+of+Steamers.

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 473
  • steamback.jpg
    steamback.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Bergie. A shame its beat up like that but still a good recovery. The Hudson River valley is a great area to detect. Tons of history. Keep up the good work buddy.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) Super find, Bergie! I wonder if there's any way to restore it?

Congrats! Nana :)

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A WAY cool find!

Nana40 said:
8) Super find, Bergie! I wonder if there's any way to restore it?

Congrats! Nana :)

Now I am not BY ANY MEANS recommending that you try this. I don't know what the token is made of and it may snap in two using this process. My VERY FIRST pre-1900 find since resuming serious detecting was an 1888 Indian Head and it was bent. I went to work and got 2 pieces of phenolic block. (or whatever it was...it looked like a material that wouldn't scratch the penny but stand up to what I had planned) I put the penny between the pieces of block and used an arbor press. It didn't harm the details and it wasn't perfect but it was almost straight again.

Like I said...DO NOT try something like this if you think the token might be harmed. I was dealing with an IH worth less than a buck. If you have ANY doubts at all, then it's better left as it is. Anyway, that's my disclaimer if you decide to try it.

HH,
SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions