Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20191215_123857.jpg I found this sword yesterday and was hoping to confirm it being a U.S cavalry .
I found it on a rock outcrop overlooking the river on my property . it was only in the ground 2'' deep and overloaded my machine with an iron tone.
I took these pic with my phone as soon as I figured out what it was.
I 'm seeking advice on how to clean or preserve it.
keep in mind it is stuck in the scabbard and soaking may not work because it can't be rinsed properly I have it setting in the area of the woodstove in an effort to remove all the moisture.
dig those large iron signals guys , the next one may be something good.. DSCN2476.jpg 20191215_123549.jpg 20191215_122946.jpg DSCN2475.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 173
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have found one of my ancestors swards. So happy for you. Here is a link to the history of that sward if it a Roby. https://www.chelmsfordgov.com/CHCwebsite/PDF_files/Main_190.pdf I hope the link works I think you will have to copy and paste it in your browser though. Again great find.
Thanks for stopping in to see the sword , it's been two years and seems like I Just found it. after cleaning I identified it as being an Ames not a roby.

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
View attachment 1780102 I found this sword yesterday and was hoping to confirm it being a U.S cavalry .
I found it on a rock outcrop overlooking the river on my property . it was only in the ground 2'' deep and overloaded my machine with an iron tone.
I took these pic with my phone as soon as I figured out what it was.
I 'm seeking advice on how to clean or preserve it.
keep in mind it is stuck in the scabbard and soaking may not work because it can't be rinsed properly I have it setting in the area of the woodstove in an effort to remove all the moisture.
dig those large iron signals guys , the next one may be something good.. View attachment 1780048 View attachment 1780049 View attachment 1780050 View attachment 1780051
I am very new to metal detecting. That is by far the coolest thing I've seen.that someone found metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread