Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so, ... I found a cemented pole dirt volley-ball court in the woods (net long gone). I thought it would be cool to go in there with my trusty BH 202 and test the pointer that my Wife got me for Christmas today. Alot of dead, moist leaves about 2 inches deep. Kinda tough, having false positives, .... cranked the sensitivity back as things settled down. Got a solid hit, very repeatable, ... started digging, .... found a hibernating green Tree Frog. Stopped digging, ... went home, ... picked a bad time to stop drinking

Upvote 8

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go have a beer - You can’t knock it out of the park everyday. Keep at it though. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least you got out! :occasion14: Next time you will find something of value!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Some days are better than others.

g

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a useful learning experience. You are among the few people who know the habitat and the depth at which green tree frogs hibernate! To me, learning something makes it a successful hunt.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
update to the story, ... a Simplex arrived today, whooo-hoooo! I'm going back to that volley-ball court in the woods. Its about 90 yards into the Forrest (Newington). Deer, Fox, Raccons, Copperheads, Opossim, Muskrat and Bob Cats call this area 'home'. I wonder if the Nokta Simplex is sensitive enough to find hibernating Tree Frogs as well as the Bounty Hunter 202 ?

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a useful learning experience. You are among the few people who know the habitat and the depth at which green tree frogs hibernate! To me, learning something makes it a successful hunt.

Indeed, a super way of looking at it, thanks MegaMan! so now I will reveal the habitat and depth, ...
Habitat is very 'woodsey', ... huge downed old trees that have toppled over the years due to their roots not able to penetrate deeply (tap-root shallow) in this hard, red clay, rock/stoney soil. There is a 1 to 3" of very rich soil, leaf covered. Mostly non-broad-leafed trees. Somewhat hilly with a stream running zig-zaged through the glen. This is the Newington Forrest in VA, ... back to the Frog, ... he was very green, .. about the diameter size of a small juice-glass.
Depth, ... The Frog was slightly under the soil, not deep at all but under about 2 inches of damp, flat leaves. He had made a depression in the soil just deep enough to be sourrounded with dirt , the depth of his height. there was a very thin layer of dirt that covered him, very thin, ... im thinking that he possibly coud have access to air. Thank God I only 'brussed' him ever so slightly while I began digging. I saw the ground 'move' a little, then saw his green back and head. I did not see his legs or back-side of the Frog. I covered him back up the way he had it. Good thing I didnt start probing the area like a mad-man with my new Pointer!

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you will find coins at an old volley ball court, good luck with the simplex rip that silver and gold outta there my friend

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A2, Thanks for the well wishes. I just returned from the 'court'. When I first started, after a 'ground balance' of 65, I was scanning left and right and didn't hear anything at all for almost 3 minutes. I began to think that something was amis and then, ... bam! Dug up a Penny. Two more steps a Dime. An hour later, after digging up junk, a Quarter. I am happy with the Simplex, minor spelling errors and syntax isues in the supplied documentation/manual being the only rub! . Happy New Year to you and yours! May you find the Lost Dutchman's Mine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Richard I will take the lost Dutchman mine and appreciate that gift lol Happy New year to you and yours also. You can look at the MetalDetecting forum and even under brands on this site and find lots of good tips. Happy Hunting Tommy

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many a man come to this site and see all the wonderful treasures. He thinks to himself that he should get in on the action too. so he buys a detector only to find out treasure is sometimes not that easy to come by.

not many of us come here and report we found nothing interesting at the site we hunted so it looks like we are swimming in treasure every hunt. some are are but many are not..

So a new treasure hunter goes out , really doesn't find much and sometimes gives up on the hobby too soon.

learn to enjoy the time outdoors and all the nature . then in time you will start finding the goods.

I hunt a few days a week and often find nothing but trash , but I sure enjoy the hunt..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread