Early 1900's change purse...with change!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening T-Net nation. I hope that everyone had a relaxing holiday.

I had a very brief window of time to do some detecting this afternoon before dark, so I headed to a nearby wooded park. My first signal was an odd mid-tone, that danced around a little bit, and would occasionally sound more like a high tone. If it hadn't been my first decent signal of the hunt, I might have passed on it. Turns out it was the decayed remainders of a change purse, which held four Barber dimes and a rosary. One of the dimes is actually adhered to the frame of the purse. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG

This is most likely my last hunt for 2019. Best of luck to everyone in 2020!
Scott

Upvote 75

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a way to end a year. I would be so excited to find an old purse like that!!!! Congrats! Barbers are beautiful as I always say!!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find. Congrats that 1910 is a stunner. What are the cut glass looking objects? Are they adhered to the roseary?
The cut glass objects are the Rosary beads that are part of a Rosary. That is a great find Silvermonkey, I would have loved to have made that dig !

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic !! I would brush the dirt off of it and display it just like you found it. It looks crusted like a shipwreck find :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coins, congrats! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure how I missed such a great post. What a memorable find. I dug the top of a nice change purse myself recently, but it had no coins or other items in it like yours. Congrats on a nice save.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find ,
Very impressive - Im sure that made your day ! Love all them Dimes
I had the privilege of making a discovery like that many moons ago in an old " Picnic Grove " in Pinckney Michigan From the turn of the last century .
It had One Indian , One Barber Dime and one token from the period .:icon_thumleft:

Nice I hit the town square in Pinckney and nearby old school yard a few times and only got some clad and a couple wheats . Did you already clean those areas out?

HH,

Pete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening T-Net nation. I hope that everyone had a relaxing holiday.

I had a very brief window of time to do some detecting this afternoon before dark, so I headed to a nearby wooded park. My first signal was an odd mid-tone, that danced around a little bit, and would occasionally sound more like a high tone. If it hadn't been my first decent signal of the hunt, I might have passed on it. Turns out it was the decayed remainders of a change purse, which held four Barber dimes and a rosary. One of the dimes is actually adhered to the frame of the purse. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

View attachment 1783831 View attachment 1783832 View attachment 1783833 View attachment 1783834 View attachment 1783835 View attachment 1783836

This is most likely my last hunt for 2019. Best of luck to everyone in 2020!
Scott

Great find - love the barbers!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!

That is one of my bucket list items, to find a coin purse with money in it.

One with 4 Barber coins and a Rosary is hitting it out of the park!

I got my best pocket spill ever on December 30th when I got a 40 quarter, 42 Merc, 49 Roosie, 41 and 56 nickels, 39, 51 and 52 wheats. It was also a strange mish mash of tones just like your coin purse, but enough high tone repeatability to make me dig it (it was 8" deep in the yard).

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread