Last night and today: 9 silvers and asked to leave by police???

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Got out for an hour or two last night and got these: one War nickel, 6 wheats, and $0.69 in spendable clad:

20200112_190501.jpg

Got out today and was having a great hunt until right at the end of the day. Got 8 silvers including: 1 Washington, 2 mercury, 2 rosies, 2 war nickels and the nifty little Miraculous medal. Also got 11 wheats and $8.09 in spendable clad. Also found this ring. Rang up as a 9 on the Nox, but no hallmarks. Too silvery colored to be gold and to low on the Nox to be silver. Any help with what type of metal it might be would be appreciated.

20200112_190334.jpg
20200112_190259.jpg
20200112_120219.jpg

Right at the end of the day I had a police officer drive by slowly on the main road. I was right next to it, so I just nodded at him. He looped around the park then got out of his car and started heading over to me. Now I've been hunting this park about once a week for 2 months and haven't had any issues. Last year I checked at the little local jail and ask the cop if he thought it'd be a problem for me to search. He didn't seem to think it would be. Last month I asked a park maintenance guy if it was alright and again got the "go ahead". Anyways, the officer asked if I had permission and I told him who I'd spoken with before. He said that I needed permission from the commissioner and then asked me to leave, after getting a photo of my driver's license and truck plates, of course (no worries on either count with that). Anywho, just needed to get it off my chest, kind of shook me a bit since I thought I was in the clear. The city has no laws against detecting and I'm sure to refill my plugs and take out the trash, but jeeze.

Anyways, happy hunting out there and if anyone has ideas on the metal in my ring, please let me know.

Thanks for looking!
-NZ49er

Upvote 36

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO you found that coppers favorite MD site? haha

FrostyMiner

Greenie
Jan 3, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro | Ground EFX MX100E | Minelab Pro-Find 15
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was approached by police on my first metal detecting hunt but they seemed fine with it. I think it just depends which cop you get lol. :dontknow:

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate people like that, bully's. Him being a cop is just a good way for him to enjoy his hobby of being a f___g bully and get away with it. Straight up coward.

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, the ring looks like stainless to me. On the subject of whether or not the police had justification for asking for your I.D. and rousting you....you did what you should have done, regardless if the cop was right or not. I don't recommend asking bureaucrats for clarification or permission. Best to keep off their radar and personal bias. They might even cook up an ordinance just to address your questions, and it probably wouldn't be in your/our favor. Look up the rules for that plot of land yourself. If it's public, there will be written rules about it's use. If it's private, look in the tax rolls, get the owner's name, and contact them for permission. If I couldn't find any ordinance that prohibited detecting, I would return and continue detecting until someone else (or the same cop) told me not to. At that point, I would politely state that I have researched the rules and can't find any prohibition against detecting. Would you please tell me what ordinance I'm violating? At that point, you'll know what you're dealing with and will be able to make a decision as to how to proceed at that point.

I am not going to get into the police discussion, but your ring is most likely stainless steel. I had this happen to me two weeks ago-the ring came out of the ground shiny like silver, no maker's mark or number, and it rang up in the low to mid tone range as GOLD. I was sorely disappointed.

ss ring.jpg

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest way to ever “win” in the end is to go get permission from the person just over his head, after asking the person over his head if you need permission in the first place. Sensitive areas or a really well kept hardball diamond with lots of sponsor signs would fall into this group. Small towns are notorious for cops who are over zealous, there isn’t much going on and they sometimes have to “create” crime. Most cops have the right intentions, but there’s no real reason to pay attention to what WE do unless the park is being abused. He copied your ID because he was giving you the boot and wanted documentation in the event that you came back. He should have explained that.
When we’re about and about, we have to deal with certain absolute BS, this is one of those times. A friend of mine and I hunt a school in a town a half hour from me, and the cops(multiple) sometimes sit in the parking lot and watch us. We’ve never talked to them, but we wave when we see them to let them know that we know they’re there. After awhile they apparently get bored or get a call...it’s kind of looks like it’s entertainment or something to them. Go figure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt stainless a little attractive to magnets?

I've found dozens of stainless rings, but, haven't found one yet that is attracted to a magnet. I'm not using some super powerful rare earth magnet though. There are some alloy versions of stainless that are attracted to a magnet however. I just have never seen any used in rings.

DetectorTales

Mar 31, 2019
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, XP GOLDMAXX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. Yea that can be a bummer when stuff like that happens. I would still try to get in touch with the commissioner.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
wear a yellow vest next time so you look like a park employee. Also, carry and play a recording of a weed wacker

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Wear an orange mesh vest and carry a couple of wire flags. Tell the cops you're a Land Surveyor hunting for survey marks and tell the kids who come around you're surveying for a runway extension for the airport. Mom will probably be there 10 mins after the kids get home. Good luck.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some great finds. When I was an LEO, I would actually stop and talk with folks MD'ing. Then I would show them where to go to find the "good stuff". It would drive by hunting partner nuts when I would show people where to go. I would rather see folks find stuff and enjoy this hobby than being discouraged and quit! Ya never know when they may have a spot for us to try and it be something great! I guess this is why we spend more time in the far off places where humans no longer congregate, like ghost towns and such. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread