Last night and today: 9 silvers and asked to leave by police???

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Got out for an hour or two last night and got these: one War nickel, 6 wheats, and $0.69 in spendable clad:

20200112_190501.jpg

Got out today and was having a great hunt until right at the end of the day. Got 8 silvers including: 1 Washington, 2 mercury, 2 rosies, 2 war nickels and the nifty little Miraculous medal. Also got 11 wheats and $8.09 in spendable clad. Also found this ring. Rang up as a 9 on the Nox, but no hallmarks. Too silvery colored to be gold and to low on the Nox to be silver. Any help with what type of metal it might be would be appreciated.

20200112_190334.jpg
20200112_190259.jpg
20200112_120219.jpg

Right at the end of the day I had a police officer drive by slowly on the main road. I was right next to it, so I just nodded at him. He looped around the park then got out of his car and started heading over to me. Now I've been hunting this park about once a week for 2 months and haven't had any issues. Last year I checked at the little local jail and ask the cop if he thought it'd be a problem for me to search. He didn't seem to think it would be. Last month I asked a park maintenance guy if it was alright and again got the "go ahead". Anyways, the officer asked if I had permission and I told him who I'd spoken with before. He said that I needed permission from the commissioner and then asked me to leave, after getting a photo of my driver's license and truck plates, of course (no worries on either count with that). Anywho, just needed to get it off my chest, kind of shook me a bit since I thought I was in the clear. The city has no laws against detecting and I'm sure to refill my plugs and take out the trash, but jeeze.

Anyways, happy hunting out there and if anyone has ideas on the metal in my ring, please let me know.

Thanks for looking!
-NZ49er

Upvote 36

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go back with a disguise

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless there are specific ordinances against detecting there, I'd go back.

Unless he could articulate a crime that you had committed, you didn't have to show him your ID.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds. As for the cop....he sounds to me like an overzealous type who feels that his badge gives him power to enforce laws that don't exist. To me there was no reason to photograph your plates.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great park to hunt and another over zealous cop. Great finding the silver!!

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cop knows he can't do anything about it, he's trying to intimidate you. Looks like you're only guilty of a great hunt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We pay the taxes we own the parks He might be a detectorist himself and wanted you out till he got all the goodies lol Thats a good haul wo I would go to the Comiisioner or City Counsel cant hurt.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the cops called on me five times this last year, after talking with me I was never asked to leave, some people just have to be nosy and ruin our fun!:BangHead:

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Got out for an hour or two last night and got these: one War nickel, 6 wheats, and $0.69 in spendable clad:

View attachment 1789465

Got out today and was having a great hunt until right at the end of the day. Got 8 silvers including: 1 Washington, 2 mercury, 2 rosies, 2 war nickels and the nifty little Miraculous medal. Also got 11 wheats and $8.09 in spendable clad. Also found this ring. Rang up as a 9 on the Nox, but no hallmarks. Too silvery colored to be gold and to low on the Nox to be silver. Any help with what type of metal it might be would be appreciated.

View attachment 1789466
View attachment 1789467
View attachment 1789468

Right at the end of the day I had a police officer drive by slowly on the main road. I was right next to it, so I just nodded at him. He looped around the park then got out of his car and started heading over to me. Now I've been hunting this park about once a week for 2 months and haven't had any issues. Last year I checked at the little local jail and ask the cop if he thought it'd be a problem for me to search. He didn't seem to think it would be. Last month I asked a park maintenance guy if it was alright and again got the "go ahead". Anyways, the officer asked if I had permission and I told him who I'd spoken with before. He said that I needed permission from the commissioner and then asked me to leave, after getting a photo of my driver's license and truck plates, of course (no worries on either count with that). Anywho, just needed to get it off my chest, kind of shook me a bit since I thought I was in the clear. The city has no laws against detecting and I'm sure to refill my plugs and take out the trash, but jeeze.

Anyways, happy hunting out there and if anyone has ideas on the metal in my ring, please let me know.

Thanks for looking!
-NZ49er

Maybe titanium ring? I dont know what it would ping on yhe nox

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
What were you digging with?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never have understood why cops give someone the boot for metal detecting when they are obviously enjoying themselves and hurting nobody. There are too many other things a cop should be concerned with. In my experience, any of them that run a person off for detecting is just a bully on a power trip.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the officer's intentions. Could be he didn't know what the city ordinances were regarding the activity, you were on his beat, and he was protecting his arse..A call to the police department's shift sergeant about this interaction may prove beneficial to all.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt. You were doing everything right on your part and the cop to me seemed to be overstepping his authority a bit. Asking for your I'D and photographing your truck and plates? Really? Did he appear to lean forward a little bit as he walked? If so he was most likely a lil' badge heavy.......perhaps a rookie. I support our local law enforcement and Police in general nationwide. They have a dangerous and Thankless job that most would want no part of, yet are quick to criticize. I feel your pain. I have been asked to leave public parks also. Just like anything else, there are going to be one of two in every crowd.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt. You were doing everything right on your part and the cop to me seemed to be overstepping his authority a bit. Asking for your I'D and photographing your truck and plates? Really? Did he appear to lean forward a little bit as he walked? If so he was most likely a lil' badge heavy.......perhaps a rookie.

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe titanium ring? I dont know what it would ping on yhe nox

I was think either that or Palladium or Platinum. Shouldn't those have have a hallmark? Or maybe regulations arent as strong on those? Dunno. Thanks for the suggestion!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The officer has most likely tipped-off the commissioner about you so when you go to ask permission, be ready to ask for the written ordinance stating that detecting is not allowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread