2000+ year old Roman coin

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2548.JPG

I did not find this but have permission from the person who did find it last week to share it with Tnet (he is not a member of Tnet).
So in New York State there was a prep school that was opened in the early 1800's. It was for the most wealthy and well to do boys with last names of whos who of the time. The school is long gone and is a park now where detecting is very hard but allowed. I hate this place because of the garbage. there is a good amount of dirty fill, it looks like decades ago the lawn was mowed along with any cans and bottles that may have been laying around, both steel cans and aluminum.
I have ever only found a few coins there after many trips and hours, mostly 20th century coins. The people I hunt with have much more patients than me and I've seen them get very old silver, some rare gold etc. Also they have 40+ years experience each detecting.
Last week my friend got a very deep signal that has in the past that usually has gotten him a large cent. This time it got him a roman coin of all things. 12" deep using an Equinox 800 in wet soil.
The coin has to be 1/8" thick, that's a quarter next to it, and it looks like bronze. I can imagine a student got it from a collection and lost it in the field. I've deleted the message with the name of the emperor, possibly someone here can translate it. The finder knows but I cant reach him now.
Just goes to show what's under the ground.

Upvote 23

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow talk about a mind blowing find! Finding a roman coin in America is probably harder than finding a tree coin or a gold coin... but it happens! Congrats to your buddy!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a hard thing to do but not impossible by any means. I have found two in NJ, and a 1300 year old Byzantine coin in SC. Took 30 years to do it, however.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...again, you just never know, last week in a "tot lot" at a city park, in the wood chips, a 1890 Silver dollar. Who would have thought.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, great condition too! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I love ya never know what's next that's in great condition wow hes gotta be happy. Great job. Tommy

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid my aunt traveled to the middle east and Egypt, circa 1957. She knew I liked old coins and bought me back about a half a sandwich baggie full of old copper coins. There were Roman, Egyptian, Israeli, and other ancient coins. They were all in the thousands of years old range and they were all real. These things are or were found in large quantities in those areas and sold in antique shops there so she bought me a sackful. By the time I was seventeen, say seven years later I didn't have a one. I had carried and lost many, traded some for a pocket knife, traded away a few more. The kids I traded to lost theirs within a few years, we were all kids who lost stuff all the time. Somewhere around this village and woods there must be a bunch of them. I have hunted my old elementary school and not found any but a large part of the old playing fields had been built over with an addition to the school. A friend found a Phoenician coin in a local school yard, probably dropped by a kid. I would love to find one, even though they are more modern drops it is the only way we find these cool coins on our side of the Atlantic.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]
Caracalla3sestSECVRITATIPERPETVAE1979.jpg

Caracalla, 198-217
32 mm. 24.00 grams.
SECVRITATI PERPETVAE
Securitas seated right, languid air, head supported by right hand resting on back of chair, holding scepter[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sear II 6952. RIC 512d. "213"

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Don......[/FONT]

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

Caracalla, 198-217
32 mm. 24.00 grams.
SECVRITATI PERPETVAE
Securitas seated right, languid air, head supported by right hand resting on back of chair, holding scepter

Sear II 6952. RIC 512d. "213"

Don......

If only they still printed treasure magazines. They could have an "Ask Mackaydon" section!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is great. I thought finding a Nazi war medal was surprising, but Roman has that beat.

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
[FONT="][IMG]http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/Caracalla3sestSECVRITATIPERPETVAE1979.jpg[/IMG]

Caracalla, 198-217
32 mm. 24.00 grams.
SECVRITATI PERPETVAE
Securitas seated right, languid air, head supported by right hand resting on back of chair, holding scepter[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]Sear II 6952. RIC 512d. "213"

[/FONT]

[FONT="]
Don......[/FONT]

Thanks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Caracalla, 198-217
32 mm. 24.00 grams.
SECVRITATI PERPETVAE
Securitas seated right, languid air, head supported by right hand resting on back of chair, holding scepter

Sear II 6952. RIC 512d. "213"

Don......
:hello2:
Although to those that know the size & weight will point towards a Denomination attribution of 'Sesterius' - this is the only missing piece of info.

Last edited:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a neat find!

I had to go to England to find a Roman bronze coin from about 400 AD (actually just a piece of it).

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i was reading a book on early Candian coinage the other day and read a passage written by a fellow who was collecting out of his change during the 1850's (upper Canada) he was giving a list of all sorts of coppers from all over Europe and early America...but also a few Roman and Greek ones too....in circulation... in Canada... during the 1850's!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread