Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean....it really gets tough when all one finds is clad. Especially in an area known for being old! I just can't figure this place out!

I don't expect old, silver nor gold *every* time out. Been doing it too long to think that, I know how it works.

Still.....not even a Wheatie!?!? In countless hours there I think I've found a total of 4!

Anyway, yes, I did think about giving up the hobby. But.....I think that just about every three walks anyway. :tongue3:

0114201749~2.jpg
0114201753~2.jpg

Did get a lil surprise. This bracelet thing? It's painted silver! Rang up at 86 on AT too.

Just never know....do ya? :dontknow:

Of course, I'll be out again. But, I gotta admit, its really hard to call what I'm doing "fun" anymore.

Thanks for peeking folks!

Upvote 23

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the thing is = you just never know what you're going to dig out of the ground - ain't that the mystery we chase?

:) :) :)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Whadifind ! could you try a close and clear pic on that silver ? - I can't see it at all .. I'm guessing it might be one of those woven , snakey
looking pieces from Bali or India - I want to see it !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya I have gone out 15 to 20 times with no silver easily then I look at todays finds people finding 5 coppers 9 silver days roman coins trimes pine tree coins half cents king tuts golden tooth a Myan coin spill ,Black beards sword , George Washinghtons pocket watch bayonettes Paul Reveres cerial spoon ect. But I have found some great stuff Gold and coin spills but every dog needs a bone once in a while.. Keep rippin your prize will show up

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you. With me this winter has been hard on the parts that walk and dig. This may be my last year, at least at the rate I have been going.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Yep, you're due for some gold. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya gotta dig the nickels.

There's your change up. Dig ALL mid tones until you are pleasantly surprised.

We all feel that way some times. Well, maybe not Cru and those guys... HH and GL ALL!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grandpa instilled in me at a young age, that "He who expected nothing, ain't gonna be disappointed" .. I firmly believe that is true, an I approach every hunt with that in mind.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Currentโ€ฆ.Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Pastโ€ฆ.Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want me to really piss some people off? I hunted for my first 3 years with a single freq Whites, great machine. The MOMENT I switched to a multi freq machine, the old deep coins piled up so fast I couldnโ€™t believe it. There was THAT much of a difference. Just my experience, thatโ€™s all. What you are saying was exactly how I was feeling until that happened, and it hasnโ€™t let up yet. This is what really made a believer out of me...a great many of these newfound old deep coins came from the SAME places I was hunting before with the Whites. There has to be something to it, right?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice finds. Sorry to hear it hasn't been fun! Do you have any alternatives? Beaches? Permissions? Sometimes a change of scenery can breathe some new life. Sometimes you need a break. Good luck regardless!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Seriously :tongue3:

I Know it;s not Quite the same But

a Barber Dime from the Ground is worth $1.29

a Barber Quarter $3.22

I Counted $4.00 Take Home in your Pic

b.t.w. that's 4 War Nickels :laughing7:

Your ahead of the Game :coffee2:

But no I Don't want to Trade :laughing9:

Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up...your next great score might be one dig away. I don't find a lot to brag about, especially compared to stuff I see here, but I sure have fun trying. HH!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's cheaper than a gambling addiction.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come back to dig at my PA farm site tomorrow! Gonna snow Saturday! Barber dime $1.29 - minie ball $3.00 and up. That's why I hunt old places only. (But its mainly for the history.) Except when its mid summer and I hit a beach or two.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you went today for an 1.5 hours in the cold and found $1.50 in clad - closest I came to anything old was an 8 inch deep 59 Lincoln. One wheat would have made my day.

Oh well always next time.

Good luck in the future - I'm not quitting but the weather will probably stop me for the next 2 months.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you just need to change it up and try a new strategy. Perhaps spend a couple days just riding around talking to old people. Ask me where was the hangouts, card houses, ect. Or just knock on doors and find some new permissions. Some of my best finds came out of yards with homes built between 1920-1960. Most of the super old stuff around here has been pounded. I still detect the real old stuff but I concentrate on younger lots. Good luck

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A non-detecting friend once said to me after joining me on a hunt: "Yeah, I guess it's cool and all, but it's like reaching into the grab-bag of history and most times it's just going to be trash." Love that feeling right before you dig. I tell myself: this is just another pull tab. If I'm right, hey I called it: dang I'm good! If I'm wrong, then woohoo anyways! Always a suprise, always an adventure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you should mention pull tabs. Due to the remoteness of some of my spots, if I do dig one, which is 1 in every 15 or so hunts, I'm like, what is THIS? Seriously.

Multifrequency? Here's a true story. Just FYI. This one site I dug for 10 years. First couple years with a very old 1980's White's, and I do forget which one. Got some good stuff out and then it seemed the party was over, no more signals. Then I went with a Tesoro Lobo, the old one. Started pulling stuff out like I'd never been there before. Then no more signals. Then went to an AT Pro. Started pulling more stuff out. Then no more signals. Then the Deus, and the cycle repeated itself.

It comes down to several things. Movement of the soil due to freezing and thawing, even storms and tree removal, the differences in the machines, not all are the same, my advancing skills (hopefully I'm advancing) and learning to go where no loop has gone before, on a steep slope, under a log, in the worst briar patch ever, that kind of thing. I've only used two different multifrequency machines and they behaved like the ones I mentioned. Every time you switch to a different machine or learn a little more about how items are in the ground, it can make a huge difference. The stuff has to be there to begin with.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! You canโ€™t give up, You just got started this Year:)

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donโ€™t feel bad Iโ€™m doing two very old places no silver at all lucky enough I have been finding buttons and large cents though but donโ€™t give up keep at it persistence pays off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread