🥇 BANNER 1849 Territorial Half Eagle

goldbrick

Jun 11, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
It had been a year since I had been able to hook up with my buddy Strick to do some relic hunting. This day was day 3 of my visit with him and we were off to a private property in the low Sierra foothills of California to meet up with Strick's friend, the ranch owner, and detect an early gold camp. We have been hunting this area for a few years when our schedules will allow. The last time I was here with Strick he had found a Quarter Eagle and some seated coins while I had only found buttons.
On this day things were not looking so great for me as I had only found one nice button and the usual assortment of period trash while Strick had scored a nice cast buckle wreath. We had just taken a break and had compared finds with the ranch owner, discussing the "whatizits" we had found. It was getting later in the day so we went back to detecting. I had earlier got into an area with quite a bit of scattered iron which developed into a nail bed which was obviously the remains of an old structure. So I returned to the heaviest area of nails which was about 250' away from the location of Strick's gold coin find, and was carefully searching through the machine gun iron signals when I hear a definite but scratchy signal on my Deus. It was jumping around depending on which direction I swung but was repeatable. Just another bullet or cartridge I think as I pop the plug. Then I see about a quarter of a gold coin sticking out of the plug as it crumbles. I didn't stop to savor the moment or reflect on my find like you hear so many times. I started screaming like a 14 year old Valley Girl, " I found a gold coin" and waving my arms at my friends who were a short distance away.
On the journey back to Stricks' I looked up the value of the coin as people always ask. I didn't much care as I did not plan to sell it but that is usually the first question from family and friends. I had not cleaned it well or looked at it too closely but I knew it had some wear so I figured a ball park figure of $500?
It wasn't until we returned to Strick's place that he was looking at it through a low power microscope and he says" Her headband doesn't say liberty it says Moffat". I had never in a million years ever dreamed I may find a Territorial coin but I knew in an instant that I had just scored the find of my life.

Attachments

• obverse.jpeg
    obverse.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 5,398
  • reverse.jpeg
    reverse.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 4,954
Upvote 173

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now thats what I would call rare to the banner! I was actually considering nominating it for banner before I even knew that it was a territorial half eagle. I had to look em up though. That is an awesome find!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definite banner! My vote is in! :icon_thumright:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging440years,

I am seeing a 2020 Redbook value from $2200 for F, $3300 for VF, $4700 for EF, $7000 for AU, and $15000 for Unc - for all varieties.

The insane value is for their ingots - the $16 ingot is listed at $225K. The also made a $9.43 and a $14.25 ingot, only known remaining examples of these are in the Smithsonian collection. Would think that somewhere out there a miner or someone else had lost or buried one or more of these 3 type ingots, they all couldn’t have been melted down.

And yes, already voted banner.

Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Last edited:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldbrick, great find - not once in a lifetime but once in many lifetimes. Already voted banner. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner zi loved this post when one of us finds something like this zi happy for you and you earned it. Great way to start the year.. my turn next lol

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in beautiful shape! You got my banner vote too...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super find. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find! Banner!!!!

I haven't even heard of a territorial coin until this post.

I am used to California gold being in fractional denominations (of which I own a 1853 round gold $0.25 one).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER! I have never seen one dug and Do NOT sell it for a measely $500. If you sell it try one of the bigger auction houses, plus you might have PCGS or another grading company slab it for you. DO NOT clean it!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DEUS doing it's thing!!!!! MONSTER CONGRATZ....

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Great find! Might be some more laying around somewhere.
There is the possibility that it was a small cache that got disturbed.

That is a good reason to dig carefully at areas like this.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know how to vote Banner so I'll just say it! BANNER

​strick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread