Dug My Oldest US Silver, 1830 Capped Bust Half Dime!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out on my first hunt of the year on New Years Day. I went to a place that I found a Confederate button at this past summer. The fields have been cut and I looked around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. I went back around where I found the CS button and dug a first for me with an 1859 Fatty Indian. It was so crusty that I had to use some aggressive cleaning methods to bring out the details. I am happy with how it turned out.

I went out again last night to a new spot that I got permission for this summer but haven't had an opportunity to check it out. I got there just before dark and I dug trash for an hour. I worked my way towards a few tress and got a nice signal. Hoping for a bullet I was surprised to see a tiny silver when I popped the plug. I did the please let it be a half dime as I was picking it up out of the hole. And with the light of my phone I could make out Lady Liberty and could see 1830. I was so excited to have just dug my oldest US silver! These tiny coins don't come up often for me. I called my wife to tell her what I had just found and to let her know why I would be out later than first thought. I got back to digging and dug a nice dropped bullet close to where I had just dug the half dime. I dug another dropped bullet and then a Merc before I left. Turned out to be a great quick after work hunt. When I got home and cleaned everything up, I could now see the bullets are a ring tail Sharps variant. These are .52 caliber Confederate Sharps from the Selma arsenal, another cool first for me. Very happy to be digging awesome coins and relics in this abnormally warm January.

4GxXHDC.jpg B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg

Upvote 36

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Snag Dave.... I haven't posted much the last year or so, but I'm still here, AND I'm always looking for your post because I know you have dug something awesome, Congrats

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Snag Dave.... I haven't posted much the last year or so, but I'm still here, AND I'm always looking for your post because I know you have dug something awesome, Congrats

Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I haven't been on here much, just too busy but I am trying to get out when I can. Thought I would share this one for sure. Hope you're getting out and finding treasures. Good luck to ya!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Amazing pickup on the 1830 5c piece. Don't see those too often at all! I don't think I've ever even seen a capped bust coin in person.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! Congrats on your oldest silver. I would be over the moon to find that! Your aggressive cleaning on the IHP did really well!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread