Cut silver

Mar 29, 2014
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s been a while since I’ve dug one of these. Intriguing what these small pieces of history have been through. It never gets old!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579437497.408557.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579437521.024261.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579437549.362895.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579565021.298296.jpg . I added a picture of the cut piece I just found with two I had found 10years ago in the same area but miles apart. Thought I had an unbelievable match , but I believe they are different . Close but no cigar!! Thought I would share, thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 41

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice there! Although they aren't exact matches you only need one more to complete the puzzle!!! What a cool piece of history!

OP
OP

Mar 29, 2014
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice there! Although they aren't exact matches you only need one more to complete the puzzle!!! What a cool piece of history!

Thanks!! Hopefully not another 10 year hiatus ...Before the last piece . Great seeing these surface, gotta love our hobby

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! Pirate Booty ARRGGHHH :blackbeard::skullflag:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to find a cut Spanish silver piece. Most are from pistareens, like yours, which were minted in Spain. But some were cut from coins minted in Spain's New World mints. My two favorite cut Spanish are a Pillar style 8 reale cut in half that was found with two coppers in a small coin spill, and a quarter cut of a Charles the Pretender 2 reale with a full date of 1708.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always nice to find a cut Spanish silver piece. Most are from pistareens, like yours, which were minted in Spain. But some were cut from coins minted in Spain's New World mints. My two favorite cut Spanish are a Pillar style 8 reale cut in half that was found with two coppers in a small coin spill, and a quarter cut of a Charles the Pretender 2 reale with a full date of 1708.

I think Ive mentioned this before but I have found a few cobs that were clearly cut in half as opposed to the typical clipping around the edges so common on most of them. Also have the 1/8 cut from a Pine Tree Shilling. They were cutting everything throughout the colonial period but as you said, the Pistareen is by far the most common found cut coin. Not common for me though:BangHead:

Attachments

• 49BC5EEC-3708-4F8E-BC29-CC63E8F5121F.jpeg
    49BC5EEC-3708-4F8E-BC29-CC63E8F5121F.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ive mentioned this before but I have found a few cobs that were clearly cut in half as opposed to the typical clipping around the edges so common on most of them. Also have the 1/8 cut from a Pine Tree Shilling. They were cutting everything throughout the colonial period but as you said, the Pistareen is by far the most common found cut coin. Not common for me though:BangHead:
Now those are three cuts you don't see very often. Cut silver is a lot more common in the tobacco colonies, I believe because of a lack of copper coins, which England tried to alleviate with the VA halfpenny. I have found (7) cut 8 reales, which don't seem to be very common in the tobacco colonies.

Last edited:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go find the missing pieces....they are still out there!
Great job....

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep. I have several cobs that have been clipped in half (one quartered). My very 1st 1698 was clipped in half. Also have 2 cut Mass silvers. Common around here methinks. It is remarkable that just over here we find the cut pistareens all over the place. Some sites produce scores of em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread