1st Time Detecting - Outer Banks, NC Disaster

UNCC-49ER

Oct 28, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Hello to everyone! This is my first time posting at TreasureNet. I went to the Outer Banks this weekend with a loaner Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 from a fellow co-worker who wanted me to try my hand at metal detecting. I have to admit I have always been interested in the hobby. This was my first time ever doing any kind of detecting. I spent about 2 hours total on the beach in Nags Head, NC and only had 5 good hits. Don’t laugh to hard. Looks like I have a lot of learning to do. If anyone has any advise they would like to pass on please do. I need all the help I can get!

Attachments

• Finds.JPG
    Finds.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,104
Upvote 0

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Welcome, Ya just gotta keep diggin man, if I had a penny for every pulltab and beer cap I found I could buy a corvette....lol...the treasure is out there.....ya just gotta find a machine you can become part of and learn it well, and ya gotta detect as much as possible.......this is the only hobby I know of that pays ya back.....I'm in NC also...Wilmington

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Best advice from me would be to not get discouraged. Keep at it, because we all find that junk. One thing to remember is that you will dig more junk than good stuff....we all do. Go out and get yourself a decent starter machine (the ACE 250 seems to be the best starter). Learn your machine, and have a great time. You'll find that there are people on here who find a lot of stuff, and some who don't find a lot. Set your own pace. There are some helpful folks here that don't mind answering questions.

Good luck, and post your finds. :)

Ima Swinger

Tinman

Jul 5, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome 49ER! We all have had days like that....just check out my coffee can on the left. Try pounding a local park or tot-lot to learn more about your detector and maybe check the Bounty Hunter section under Metal Detector Reviews for tips, etc. Keep the faith :)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read all you can on your machine.... keep at it... trust me..I ama beginner myself...4 months now... I have watched everyone on here find awesome things...me just regular clad.. nothing to get excited about... was pushing myself to hard... getting annoyed...blaming the machine...when it was me..being too anxious... so I said know what rae, knock this crap off..your not wonderwoman... just go out...have a good time...enjoy the air, the freedom and if ya find something....ya do..if ya dont..well, ya had a good time...so I started thinking...lets go out and get dirty and enjoy the day..next thing ya know two or three days ago..I find a killer tiffany silver necklace, along with regular clad... today, I found 70 some reg. coins..I was thrilled..thats the highest I have ever found in one day.. so just hang in there, read up...talk to others that have the same machine...and most of all ..... dig it all.... every dang signal..... and remember..enjoy the day...

rae

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the good news is you have proof that the machine can find metaland does work -- now just keep on swinging it

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
First Off, Welcome to Tnet.
Second, Keep swinging that detector.
Third, thanks for the post and pictures. Happy Hunting And The Best Of Luck To You.

Desertfox

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Welcome to t-net, they are a real nice bunch of folks here. The beach can really be a daunting task especially for a first time person. Heck the beach is a daunting place for me and Weve been detecting for years. Give it a another try. Bobbie , my wife has been detecting for 6 years with me now. give it another try and good luck
hh
dave+bobbie

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
My first hour out I got nothing......My machine was on "battery check". :o ;D
There is always someone worse off. Like those that never get a chance to
hunt for treasure!

Attachments

• diggingpirate.gif
    diggingpirate.gif
    11 KB · Views: 1,030
  • diggingpirate.gif
    diggingpirate.gif
    11 KB · Views: 1,046

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Welcome, and don't get discouraged! Go where the treasure is, no matter how you define it. Don't be afraid to ask for permission, but learn how to dig neatly so there are no regrets by a property owner for letting you hunt. Remember, once you're in, there is no turning back! ;D

Raisinkain

Jul 14, 2005
Roseboro
Welcome to TNET and congrats on cleaning up the beach The beachgoers will love you for that. I am also in North Carolina the Fayetteville area. Great area rich in history and good luck the next time you go out. There will be a next time right?

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Welcome,

My advise would be. Dig all signals once you get rid of the trash the good stuff will come. Unfortunately you will dig 50 times more junk than you will good stuff but don't give up!!!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49ER, welcome to TNet!

Don't be discouraged, this is all about having fun. The first coin I ever found after getting my detector was a clad quarter wrapped in a yellow Post-It Note with a message that said "Gotcha!". . . my son buried it in the yard the night before.

Take care,
watercolor

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great place to learn and make friends.

Don't be discouraged. Your finds look like the finds that we all had the first time that we hit the beach. Don't worry, it will get better. The key is practice and trust your machine.

jackpot316

Sep 22, 2007
I am very close to the outer banks about 48 miles west I been thinking about trying it out down there. Where can you go and can't go?
I have heard there are off limits areas?

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I personally have never had good luck at the beach - including Nags Head. We went to Myrtle Beach over the summer. I watched where all the people sat during the day and then I was out first thing in those same spots (with several MDers). 8 cents and a lighter..... bummer

So, I will stick to my elementary schools and be happy that I am getting clad and jewelry.

Elem schools are easy to dig in. I even go around the ballfields, but I tend to dig more trash there.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
It's part planing and part luck amigo. Right place right time kind of thing . The beach is tough due to the sheer size of it. Did you try your own yard ? Don't laugh my daughter pulled an 18k white gold ring out of the neighbors yard , a couple of wheats and a ton of clad from ours. parallel the driveway or any walk ways. Check around trees or place where people may have sat. Some day lady luck will smile on you. Hey my daughter found a merc dime the first 5 min she was out at our local school. I have been at it for a few years now and have yet to pull one out. Nuts my friend just plain nuts. Farmers fields are another place to check after they plow them you may get some bonus native American artifacts too ;D. Like the other person said Schools and play grounds are a slam dunk check around the slides, swings and monkey bars. soccer fields check around the goals . Kids drop their stuff there. I have found a mini cache 1.75 in change in the same hole. Not a fortune but was fun to keep pulling coins out. Anyway dig everthing. I spent nearly 2 years digging pull tabs but then out pops a gold and diamond ring so you never know. Stay focused and swing slow $$$$$ will be there just hang on and stay positive.

Acevillav 8)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I hunted Nags Head over the summer too for about 4 days. I found basicly trash, clad and a little costume jewelry. Nothing valuable, but it was kinda cool.

Keep @ it and HH!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the UK.