+300%MF

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2020
WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200120_151341.jpg IMG_20200120_151352.jpg IMG_20200120_151403.jpg IMG_20200120_151413.jpg

Hi All,

I'm a new member and also a relatively new detectorist. I was fortunate enough to have MLK day off from work this week and was able to get a hunt in. The night before, I happened to drive by a location that looked like an old site with some large trees in the parking strips. That's where I went the next morning and it was well worth my time.

I hit the IHP about 15 minutes into the hunt. It was my first one and in my eyes it's a beauty. It seems like there's more detail that could be revealed if I could get the dirt off. If anyone wants to point me in the right direction for info on that it would be appreciated. I have a jewelry cleaner and already had it in there for about 10 minutes in water and a few drops of mild dish soap.

After the IHP I spent the next few hours digging around the location and finding mostly clad. There was some junk mixed in but from my limited experience this was actually a pretty good ratio. It wasn't until I made it all the way around the block where I hit the high tone than just sang in my ear. I dug with intent not to damage the coin but as you can faintly see there's a scratch below the ear. Despite the kiss, I was thrilled with this find. It was my first Barber ever and both it and the IHP are bucket list items.

What a hunt! All in all I dug 30 memorials, 5 wheats, 1 IHP, 7 dimes, 1 clad quarter, 1 silver quarter and a modest amount of junk. This was pretty much the first site I've identified and hunted all on my own and boy did it leave me wanting to hunt some more in this area. It's a good bet I'll be back.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coins. There are plenty more in your future!

BenFrankOG

Jun 1, 2019
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, excellent finds. Congrats

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super day.:icon_thumright: Welcome to Treasure Net.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds!! Get some Andre’s pencils for the IHP, I stay away from water on coppers but everyone has their own way of cleaning them. I like to keep the green patina on them

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent hunt congrats on a really nice barber quarter! those are exciting anytime!!! As for cleaning the IHP Andre's pencils are usually a great bet. You can get them for around 20.00 and you get 4 different tools for cleaning up coins.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job the first thing you start to wonder is why didnt I start this hobby a long time ago lol Your going to find so much cool stuff great start hope to see lots more posts of your finds. Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Welcome to the forum!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice "S" mint Barber Quarter! Welcome to Tnet. :icon_thumleft:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great dig. Very nice coins. This is truly an addictive hobby, as you are finding out.

OP
OP

+300%MF

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2020
WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all really know how to welcome the new guy - thank you. Thanks also for the admiration, encouragement and tips. After looking into it I ordered a set of Andre's pencils and they should be here Sunday. No idea when I'll get around to working on the IHP. Definitely need to get the hang of it with some other coppers first. It would be a shame to damage the patina. There will be some before and after pics at some point. Even better would be new finds from this weekend to share...we'll see what happens.

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread