Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been having detecting withdrawal I haven’t been out in 7 days. The weather has not been the detectorists friend lately. The temps have been in the teens most days with high winds and we have had snow with a freezing rain layer on the ground for 4 or 5 days. The sun has been out the past few days and the temps have made it above freezing so I thought I would give it a try and see if I could find some ground I could get a shovel into. I almost didn’t go, but I figured it was now or never because we are going to have freezing rain the tomorrow and the day after I have a family obligation. After that who knows what the weather will be like.

I went to campus and tried a few spots. The ground was frozen down 2 or 3 inches, but with my full weight on the shovel I could get it in and get a plug out so I decided to go for it. I guess I was lucky the snow insulated the ground from the low temps or the ground would have been frozen much deeper and I would have gone home empty handed.

I was working a grid and started where I left off last time. With the frozen ground there were no fast recoveries. Every hole was a slow excavation After about 25 minutes I had 2 tabs, 2 nickels and a penny. I got a mid tone that sounded like it should be a piece of can slaw, but I’m cleaning up and digging all mid and high tones so I cut the plug and about 4 inches down was a nice gold class ring peeking out at me. It is a 1971 ring from a local high school.

499E9A32-771C-4E03-B1FE-3CBF018EDE8E.jpeg CFE81622-C81F-4BA0-B629-10FCFFE9D551.jpeg

Altogether in 3.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 25 coins with a face value of $1.77, a small pistol round ball, the ring, a copper clad bullet, a micro ambulance and the usual foil, tabs etc.

2BD90474-0612-4C94-8E26-B99A46C6D997.jpeg C7CFDFEB-BEEF-40E9-850E-0273F01D15BC.jpeg

That is 2 class rings this month. I usually am lucky if I find 2 a year much less 2 in one month. They both came from the same field, one is a man’s stainless and the other a woman’s 10k gold. Both are from the same school, one 1971 the other 1978. I found the woman’s name and am narrowing down the man’s so hopefully I can make contact soon and made the returns. Of course there is a good chance the ladies name has changed since high school, but if the school has an alumni group I might get lucky.

It was hard work, but it was worth it. Gas money, a new vehicle for my garage (lol), class ring number 24 and some good exercise prying icy chunks out of the earth. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 29

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet ring find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 in a month awesome post when you return it for an honorable mention it's good for people too see and to get a recognition for doing a good deed and being a good example to others in this hobby. Great post my friend. Tommy

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 in a month awesome post when you return it for an honorable mention it's good for people too see and to get a recognition for doing a good deed and being a good example to others in this hobby. Great post my friend. Tommy

Thanks Tommy. I have managed to return over a dozen class rings and at least that number of other jewelry items over the years. It is just the right thing to do when you can honorable mention or not. Some returns just aren’t possible no matter how hard you try. I have a lead on this lady and 2 others that I have been trying to return for a while now. I don’t give up easily.

Thanks to all for the replies. Good luck and keep swingin.

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, congrats on the ring! But I really love the little ambulance, too. What a great day you had!

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice save on the Gold! Weather has been tough of late in Maryland, hope Feb is a little more relaxed for us. I know I'm having W.D.'s today.. :(

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ring is great but I’m more impressed by your drive to fight the frozen ground! Don’t bend your shovel!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on the Gold! Weather has been tough of late in Maryland, hope Feb is a little more relaxed for us. I know I'm having W.D.'s today.. :(

The weather has been tough. Today while detecting in snow flurries, a flock of about 40 or 50 robins landed on the field. Normally the robins don’t show up until the weather is starting it warm up. Maybe it’s a good sign. Either that or those poor robins are very confused. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring is great but I’m more impressed by your drive to fight the frozen ground! Don’t bend your shovel!

I have broken a bunch of the small shovels I use over the years. This day I was using a narrow heavy duty shovel with a round point that I cut to a sharp point and it can take the strain. Keep swingin.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Gold! Great start to the year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread