May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I wanted to try a field next to a low yield Roman Site, in the hope I could track down another area on this somewhat barren farm. We had tried it years ago & crossed it off the list but I wanted fresh more experienced eyes on it. Sadly that plan was a bust. We then went close to the low yield Roman Site & I got 1 scrappy.
Our last ditch effort was on a close-by low yield Saxon Site. I would have been happy with 1 pin-head or strap-end. Seems as though we have stripped the site of its goodies....

4.5 hours:

1 Scrappy (not pictured)
1 Jetton
1 Blank Silver Shilling
Broken Spec Buckle
Bit of a Medieval Purse Bar
17th C Button
Tudor Button
Scarce (I didn't know they existed) 8th Royal Veteran's Battalion 1804-15 Button:
''The 8th Royal Veteran Battalion was raised in 1804 at Fulham and served at Cumberland Fort and on Heligoland. It included officers from the New South Wales Corps who returned to England in 1810. In 1815, 4 companies transferred to the new 2nd Royal Veteran Battalion and the 8th battalion disbanded. A new 8th battalion was formed from fit out-pensioners at Chelsea Hospital. It served on Jersey and disbanded in 1816 at Portsmouth''
[FONT=&quot]Veterans battalions were made up of men no longer fit for front line service, the name had previously been 'invalid battalions' but this was deemed derogatory and changed[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Upvote 23

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, even for a “low yield” hunt, I’m still amazed at the artifacts and relics you pull... love the hand forged items, made with pride and care, the reason they’re still here for you to find. Great stuff, thanks for sharing, Ddf.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, even for a “low yield” hunt, I’m still amazed at the artifacts and relics you pull... love the hand forged items, made with pride and care, the reason they’re still here for you to find. Great stuff, thanks for sharing, Ddf.
They were both very low yields sites, the hunt wasn't low yield as such, other than not getting our target finds.
We can now walk away from this farm & concentrate elsewhere.

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A “low yield “ day for you would be a killer hunt for me

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were both very low yields sites, the hunt wasn't low yield as such, other than not getting our target finds.
We can now walk away from this farm & concentrate elsewhere.

With your recent hunt there you can be sure to cleared enough to move to other sites. With a rare button and a blank silver you didn't came home empty handed. I had worse days than that. :thumbsup:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting post. Great finds. Would love to have a day like that. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your low yield hunts make me drool over the keyboard! :notworthy:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A nice military button like that makes for a great day.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice military button like that makes for a great day.
It's amazing to think what this no longer fit for battle soldier did in the Napoleonic Wars to get hurt & then he worked at either Fort Cumberland at Portsmouth or a Island Fort off of Germany (Helioland). Then he (presumably or at least his jacket) ended up over 140 miles away from the nearest of these 2 locations - why!? Retirement maybe? Where his family originated? We will never know, but I'm now part of his story, & a keeper of a cool piece of History.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions