(4) Silvers, Token, & a few nice Relics... (Another Relic Added)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
(4) Silvers, Token, & a few nice Relics... (Another Relic Added)

Hello all,,,
This post is kinda long, so I copied it right off of my website. ;D

It was out to a few old demolished house sites yesterday. It started out a little on the chilly side, but after dig'n this first find for the day, I was all warmed up...
Base.jpg

You would have thought that the piece would have about blowed the headset off my head, but it didn't really hit all that hard, and was giving the Cz a good solid high-tone, so I dug it. The top center portion of the piece was the first thing I saw and I thought, hmmm, it's an old brake rotor. After clearing some of the dirt away, and seeing that the hole in the center was way too small for it to be rotor, I decided to clear somemore of the dirt away and seen the decerative design aroung the outer edge.

After seeing the nice pattern around the edge I had to do some further investigating. It turned out to be an old lamp base and I just had to have it. It took me about a half an hour to get it out of the hole using my small dig'n knife, but it was definitely worth the effort.

The piece has a few rust bubbles on the bottom side, but overall it's in great condition and should clean up nicely. It measures just over a foot in diameter and stands about (5") tall. It has six feet on the bottom and weighs right at (8lbs)...

After recovering the lamp base, I realized why it didn't sound all that lound, as the batteries in my machine bit the dust. I repleced the batteries with my extra set and, it wasn't too long after that, I found my first silver for the day. It was this "1944/S Mercury Dime".
Merc1944S.jpg

The next item recovered was this aluminum "Good Luck Token" from a depth of about 6" down. It is inscibed, "Museum / Science / Industry" in the center of one side and the other side has someones name on it.
Goodluck_Science.jpg

The murcury dime, token, and these next three Roosevelt dimes were all found around an old tree in an area of about 20' in diameter. The dates on the Rossie's are 50/D, 53/D, and a 54/D. Funny, they all had mintmarks... :)
Rosie50D.jpg Rosie53D_2.jpg
Rosie54D.jpg

The last relic for the day was this old "Sheet Music Holder" thingy. It's made of brass and measures, 7" long by 1-7/8" wide.

It was recovered from a depth of about 7" down. Also, it has two springs to make the clip work, one of which was already broken when I found it,, and the other one ened up breaking after playing around with it at home. :(

I don't have a clue on the age of the piece, but it's looks to be very well made.
Music_Clip.jpg

There is still some ground around the area that I haven't hunted yet, so I will be going back to check for more.

I hope ya all have been having some luck...
Have a great day, Leon...

Upvote 0

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a productive day!!!

So now that you kept the lamp base, what do you plan to do with it?

Congrats,
SgtSki

Demrok

May 24, 2007
Re: (4) Silvers, Token, & a few nice Relics...

nice!
that sheet music holder looks like the ones you'd see clipped onto a wind instrument so they could look at the notes while they played

great digs =)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Good deal on the silver. I have been doing the very old type of hunting where you don't find much but if you do it's good. I miss the good old multiple silver hunts. Nothing like finding multiple silver at a site. ;D

Bob

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

That silver is awesome!!

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70

I really like to find those old tokens. But the silver is better. Good stuff.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Demrok said:
nice!
that sheet music holder looks like the ones you'd see clipped onto a wind instrument so they could look at the notes while they played

great digs =)

These "sheet music holders" are called "lyres." They're named after the ancient Greek instrument which the top part is modeled after. This lyre is the wrong shape to be from a member of the woodwind family (each lyre has a specific shape to it, based on the shape of the instrument it is for, and the instrument's orientation to the player). It is actually a trumpet or cornet lyre.

Lyres were not that common before marching bands became popular in the early 20th century. The accessories became especially common in the 40's and later, since band musicians needed to hold their music while marching in parades or halftime shows at sporting events. (The earlier cornet bands in the mid-to-late 1800's performed a social function --providing dancing music and bandstand entertainment...they didn't need this type of attachment because they were stationary when they performed, or when they did have to march or participate in parades, they performed from memory.)

Lyres were usually well made to guard against the wind blowing the musicians' music away...plus they had to stay sturdy and relatively motionless despite the musician moving around a good bit. The fact that one of the springs still worked when you found it is a testament to this.

Based on the age of your other finds at the site, I think it is safe to say that your lyre was made in the 40's or 50's. They are still made today, and they still use the same design and construction:

https://www.beckettsmusic.co.uk/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7872

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: Looks like a productive day!!!

Thanks for the great comments guys...
I really got lucky on the silver. Most of the area had been bulldozed very heavily and once I found the "Merc" sitting in some dirt that didn't look to have been disturbed in quite awhile I stayed concentrated in that area and it really paid off for me...

BuckleBoy, Wow!,, thanks for the ID and all that great information, sure saved me a lot of time.
I had a good idea what it was, but had no idea what they were called, or that there where several different types, and now, after reading your reply I feel as though I've read a book about them. ;D

Demrok, you were dead on the money, Thankyou...

SgtSki in MI said:
So now that you kept the lamp base, what do you plan to do with it?
Congrats,
SgtSki
Good question SgtSki,,, I do plan on either cleaning it up to make another lamp, or possibly use it as a coat rack stand, but I wouldn't hold your breath... ;D I think the wheat like pattern on it, fits right in with the the old coins, & tokens, we are sometimes lucky enough to find, and should look pretty good sitting around with all of my other junk...

Thanks again all,,,
Have a great day, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: (4) Silvers, Token, & a few nice Relics... (Another Relic Added)

Ooop's forgot,,, since this post isn't that old and this find is from the same site I'll just post it here.

We, Gary and I, were back at the house sites for a few hours today. Didn't do quite as well as the other day, but I did find one neat little item. It's a "Brass Shoe Ashtray" marked, " Z.S. INDIA" on the bottom. It measures, 3-1/4" long by 1-1/4" wide by 1/2" tall and was recovered from a depth of about 7" down.
Brass_Shoe_India.jpg

I thought wow!, how unique,,, wrong,,, I've done a bit of searching on the web and although most of the ones I had seen said "Vintage" there were quite a few of them out there. The prices for them ran anywhere from about $o.50 to $10.00. Oh well,, I still like it...

Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

P.S.> Thanks Dave...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and congrats on the silver and interesting relics! HH, Mike

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds.. Good luck in cleaning up the lamp base.

Thought that you might like to know, that the good luck token that you found is from the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago. It opened on May 17, 1933 and continued a successful 17 month run before ending on Halloween night, 1934. The 8 acre Hall of Science, later to become the Museum of Science and Industry, was the fair's focal point.

HH
Larry

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Leon! Send me some of that silver luck!!!! 8) DANG! Four in one day! :o

You did good! Congrats! Nana :)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Great Finds!! Congrats on al the silver.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Again,,, Thankyou all very much...

nebstater said:
Thought that you might like to know, that the good luck token that you found is from the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago. It opened on May 17, 1933 and continued a successful 17 month run before ending on Halloween night, 1934. The 8 acre Hall of Science, later to become the Museum of Science and Industry, was the fair's focal point.
Great information nebstater, thankyou... If this is the case, it doesn't look too bad for it to be (73) years old... ;D

Nana40 said:
:o Leon! Send me some of that silver luck!!!! 8) DANG! Four in one day! :o

You did good! Congrats! Nana :)
Here ya go Nana,,, ;D
Lucky_Silver.jpg

Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D Thank ya, Leon! 8) I'm going huntin' tomorrow and I sure need that luck! After several hunts over the past couple of weeks I've found nothing but tax tokens and bullets. :-\
I'm being very careful with your good luck token. ;) I'll rub just a little good luck for tomorrow's hunt and see how I do. ;)

Nana :-*

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon that is a lot of silver in one day .Good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread