96.7 KB · Views: 1,638
Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Well you know Gypsy, if you ever head up this way I'd be glad to show you a few spots where some nice coins have been found. It would be my pleasure ;D

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah got some good old things there. Not ancient but good relics. I hit a rut every now and then myself and I have been hunting for more than 18 years.

I discovered the wonderful world of research does wonders for the age of your finds. You don't have to get into any great detail with the research but some research into the history of your area does go a long way. For example in my home town, which is about 300,000 people, I found that the part of town where many of the old Civil War units camped was actually closer to downtown proper than I though they would be. In the days of the Civil War, the outskirts of town were about a mile from city center. Now, that area is actually very near city center due to the expansion of the city. I watch for construction in that area. Anything from buildings being demolished to parking lots going in. As soon as ground is broken, (whenever I see bare earth at the construction site), that is like a small window to the past opening for a brief moment. You have to hit it and hit it soon because it closes as quickly as it opens. I mainly hunt construction locations and I have found four good Civil War Buckles as a result, one of them being a rarity of 9 on a scale of 10 Confederate Two Piece Old English Script CS Buckle, about $2,800. I have an 1849 U.S. Buckle that came from under an old sidewalk, a Snake Buckle, and a Confederate Frame Buckle. All from construction areas that I new were in the general area of the outskirts of town during Civil War times. My best time I had hunting was when I knew that a construction site was uncovering an old WWI military camp inhabited during the war by thousands of soldiers. I walked out of there with pockets full of coins, buttons, and other items all predating 1918. This went on for days on end. Most of the coins were silver and most were Barbers. I found a beautiful standing liberty almost mint but the machinery had scratched it moving earth.

If I had any advice to give someone, it would be to go to their local public library, learn the history of their area inside and out. Look at old maps of how the area evolved. Find the locations where old schools, hospitals, Victorian Resorts, etc. were. Learn where the parks were, where the Fairgrounds were, where the swimming holes were and on and on. When you see construction going on in those areas, ask for permission and hit them quick. Your finds will get good in a heartbeat.

As one old timer told me, you got to go to the old places to find the old things! DUH!! Why didn't I think of that. Your river trail hunting is doing you some good and you are on the right track there but remember over the course of time, the river and the trails have changed. What was the trail 100 years ago could now be in the river or ten yards further away from the river than the existing trail. Get some old maps and check them against new ones. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

Good Luck and I hope your finds improve!

Jim

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like she has been detecting at mc donalds also.Found a nice ashtray

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy, that Ford thingy in your 3rd or 4th photo. . . I found something that looks just like that this past weekend. . . I'll have to pull it out of my junk bucket (now a standard option in the back of my car ;D) to see if it is. (It might be a bearing cover ???)

I hate clad too, but it's a necessary evil ;D

Take care,
watercolor

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Gypsy.
I love the bottles and that FORD piece.
You'll strike silver this week. I can feel it!
-MM-

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say great hunt Gypsy, them old bottles are nice, I managed to find a few this year, my favorite is a half pint milk bottle I found in the shallows of a lake this year.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I can only imagine ya'lls frustration when the ground freezes and its to tough to dig, I'd be in panic hunt mode right now.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sorry to hear of the slim pickins. At least you are keeping your detecting skills sharp. Good luck on your next hunt.

Bob

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I hear you on the clad business. I've been getting some 'good digs' lately finding dimes, nickels, or pennies that were in close proximity to iron, but the satisfaction of good Disc by the detector is all you get.
My season is winding down, and I'm not happy about it. Still have 3 good sites to check and re-check.
Thanks for the pics, at least you got some interesting stuff.

The Ford script item I found one of here in the village. I think it's the hub nut cover for either an old Ford tractor or for a Model T.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's total opposite with me, I'm sick and tired of digging rusty, crusty iron. I'm looking for clad or something classy & flashy. Anyway, love the bottles...I still think you had a good day regardless.

;) RR

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd check out and re-work the area where you found the wheat to see if more wheats come out. When I dig a wheat, I dig until I find another or find no more. If I find another, then that is it, I'm digging more, and the more wheats that come out, better reason to dig every coin in the area. 9/10 times you'll hit silver. I'd stick to and concentrate on any area that has popped up more than 1 wheat.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Gypsy Mystery,

I agree the screw with the twist top is for holding a cover or tarp down but I'm not sure it was used on the back of a truck; the screw threads sure look like wood screw threads and wouldn't do too well in a metal bed.

The inkwell looks just like the ones us old farts had to sit in the upper corner of our school desks. Yes, believe it or not some of us learned to write our ABC's with a fountain pen!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
wesfrye53 said:
Gypsy Mystery,

The inkwell looks just like the ones us old farts had to sit in the upper corner of our school desks. Yes, believe it or not some of us learned to write our ABC's with a fountain pen!

That really does suprise me Wes....Fountain Pens?.....I would have put my money on chisels and slate

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
hey, i hear you gypsyheart but da chief does lay it out he makes some good points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions