Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a big park a couple weeks ago with two friends. About a half hour in, I started coming across these giant plugs that looked very bad. I took this pic of two holes by my detector. As you can see there is a bunch of dirt all over the surface, and the plugs no longer fit right. From this spot I counted 10 of these holes in a 30' circle. There were many more in the general area. I knew right away it was a guy with a big shovel. We had seen him there before a couple times, but it was always as we were leaving. This time he showed up again and my two buddies talked with him. I was about 100 yards away, by the time I got there he had moved on. He gave my friend his card, so I know his name. I found out by another guy I know that he has been encouraging the guy to use a hand digger and do a better job. He does not want to. This could possibly be a factor why the parks there get closed to detecting. As often happens, they close them all at once, not just one. Shovels should not be used on public property. Not only is it harder to put a huge hole back together, but a guy toting a shovel looks worse than a guy with a hand digger. Most coins etc…. in parks are no deeper than 6" with most being very shallow. That being said, if a guy digs a huge deep plug, you now have to dig way back down through the dirt in the plug scattering tons of dirt around to get back down to that shallow coin. I know that many newbies watched some popular tv shows or videos, and the guys in them have showed you only need a detector and a shovel. I see so many people posting their new shovel, and logos with guys with shovels. Don't get me wrong, a good relic shovel has it's place. (fields, woods, private land) I also know that some guys say they can make a better plug with a shovel, and it is easier for them. I'm sure that is true for a few guys. I did share with one guy, would you rather a surgeon work on you with a small scalpel or a large butcher knife? There are different tool for different applications. It also goes back to the mention of how you look in the park or school toting a shovel. I bet if a guy went into his surgery room and seen a scalpel it would not bother him. Seeing a butcher knife is a different story. There are already enough places closed to detecting. Moral of this story, don't be the guy who helped shut down public areas for the rest of us, and the future generations of detectorists. This post was not meant to stir up a hornets nest, or to encourage nasty remarks back and forth. It was meant to educate fellow diggers.

Attachments

• IMG_8335.jpg
    IMG_8335.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 27

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my, that is sad --- I wish there was a way to inform the park that he is the one being stupid as to avoid the park getting shut down for all.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful telling anyone other than him. Public bodies are chicken stuff. They would rather close to all than confront a single wrong doer. Sad but true since everyone in this country is scared they will be accused of discrimination or some such rot. Take the easy, safe road and punish everybody...can you say gun control for example. Myself, because I care, I can leave as neat a recovery hole with my digging knife or a shovel. It's not that hard, you just have to care. just my 2 cents anyway.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used a large knife since i got in the hobby in 1975 at age 12 -dig nice plugs and try to keep as much dirt in the hole as possible
ive had people come up to me and start complaining about digging and have told them i would give them a $1 for every hole they could find - have never had to
spend a $1

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's bad.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job trying to educate the wrong-doer! Hope it takes and he passes the word on to others. Thanks for you and your friends concerns and actions. :icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad that anybody could walk away from a mess like that ! I doubt this is about education , I think some people just aren't playing with a full deck ...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people!!! Puts a bad name on the rest of Us!!!

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have to spend a little time on plugs! Do not cut a full circle leave bit hinged so you are not cutting all roots. and even if you do a good plug do not pull dirt out of the hole onto the grass. if you do pull dirt out and it looks perfect go back a day or two not right after and you will see it. just my two cents worth. easiest way to get good at it is to go back days later and see if you can tell where your plugs were.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next time that lawn is mowed, those loose plugs will be sucked up into the mower deck and leave behind a field of potholes. If it was a park I cared about keeping open to metal detecting, I'd go back on my own with some grass seed, fix the plugs and water them. Might help if he saw you do it too.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like djackson said..I use a small shovel and I dig neat plugs and take the time to put the hole back together neatly. Funny thing is, I do this on a farm field permission, not a public park. I watch videos on YouTube where the detectorist hunts a farm or field and feels because it's not a public property, they dont have to be neat about their holes. If you make it a habit to be neat it becomes a natural thing to do.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt it always some idiot that ruins something good for other people.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Those new to the hobby see this clown and here they come, detector and shovel in hand..

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful telling anyone other than him. Public bodies are chicken stuff. They would rather close to all than confront a single wrong doer. Sad but true since everyone in this country is scared they will be accused of discrimination or some such rot. Take the easy, safe road and punish everybody...can you say gun control for example. Myself, because I care, I can leave as neat a recovery hole with my digging knife or a shovel. It's not that hard, you just have to care. just my 2 cents anyway.

You hit the nail on the head. (It's because you care.) People who leave a mess just don't care. :(

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is very bad for our hobby! I am glad he was spoken too. :icon_thumleft:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I made a plug like that once, it was in my backyard when I first got my detector. I dug up a Rosie with the shovel and still managed to nick the face of it.

I have never used a shovel again. The maintenance men at my local park come by chat while I am out and let me empty my trash into the bucket they keep on their cart. If anyone were to leave a mess like that they would know it wasn’t me. I watched numerous videos of people cutting plugs before I ever went to a public park to hunt, then I practiced in my own yard before I ever went to a public setting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idiots are everywhere ! I have found holes like that in parks where I detect. I fill them in and cover them the best I can, and just hope no one of authority saw it first and will shut the parks down because of it. Glad you brought his fault to his attention.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SMH, a few bad apples can ruin the barrel...nice job in trying to educate, it's a shame they had dirt in their ears.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
That is BAD. As bad as in the parks I hunt. I have spent hours covering holes like this and even holes where there was no attempt to cover the hole, and the trash was left on top of the plug. Whoever it is doing this where I live only digs after a good soaking rain when the ground is soft and he/she uses a regular garden shovel. It is sad that these guys do this and make our hobby look bad. Them that do this are in the very small minority but make a big impact on our great hobby. Really sad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread