Back to the Texas Frontier Fort: Lots of relics, 2 seated coins, and some ID help???

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Put a full day in at my new site in the baseball fields today. Couldn't make it out on Sunday due to work, but I did drop off a shadow box for the land owner on Saturday morning. She was stoked and I've got full access to the fields :) . Found a bunch more bullets and buttons. Got an 1861 Seated Half-Dime and an 1877 CC (my first Carson City!) Seated Dime. Also scored a rotten 1872 Indian and a silver war nickel. Got a US bridle rosette, a friction primer, a coat sized Eagle C, a cuff Eagle I, 2 cuff eagles, an early US General Service 2-piece button, and a little one piece eagle and shield button that I'll need help identifying. Lots of camp relics. I thought I had a plate with that big brass spoon bowl. I left after the sun went down and was bummed about it. There are still signals EVERYWHERE. I've probably only managed to grid about 15% of the fields, digging everything except small iron.
20200204_152433.jpg
20200204_172403.jpg
fullday.png
Full Take
buttons.png
Buttons/Coins/Etc.

Need help with IDs on the following:

The lead US is a Rosette (I think?) any ideas on a date? Also, what is the little button? Its a one-piece with a lined field.
rosetteandbutton.png

Any ideas on the bullets?
20200204_215354.jpg

Also, what is this? They were found together.
20200204_215301.jpg

This looks to me like a Burnside casing shoved into a scabbard throat. Thoughts?
20200204_215600.jpg
20200204_215607.jpg

Lastly, how can I GENTLY clean these ladies up? Both look like they've been burned. I don't want to etch them or anything, but is there a safe way to remove the black?
20200204_225403.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my day with you,
-NZ49er

Last edited:
Upvote 24

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Splendid bunch of treasures there...might want to soak the coins in (of all things ) virgin olive oil...I have found it helps remove some of the "crustiness" from metals that have been fatigued or disfigured in some way. Note that it is acidic, but the virgin olive oil is much less so.

Have used it on coins that were in a campfire, and other iron/lead. I have found it helped. YMMV.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that you got all that out of baseball fields, since they are usually one of the first areas to get hit with a metal detector in any town. Your little button with the eagle and the shield is from a forage cap.

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a historical gold mine you have come upon! Very nice seated coins!!! Not sure of the best treatment. It looks like they still have some pretty good detail. That US rosette piece (if that's what it is) is pretty awesome!!! Good luck on the bucket list there!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On cleaning those coins, I would start with a hot soapy water soak,. followed by a soft toothbrush. Since they're not particularly rare, I would continue with the cleaning if they don't look good enough to you at that point. Personally, I like to remove tarnish if it's blotchy or unattractive. My usual method is to use the outside bottom cavity of an empty aluminum can filled with white vinegar. I put the coin in and let it soak for a couple of hours. I then remove it and rub the surface with baking soda and then rinse in fresh water. Repeat if it needs more. Just don't forget it and/or wait too long as vinegar is a mild acid and will eventually remove most of the detail off a silver coin. At this point, I can pretty much tell how long a particular coin will need to soak based on the surface condition. Until you can make an educated guess, it's best to check often. You can always clean more, but, you can't clean less and put detail back on once it's removed.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great of you to do the shadow box very thoughtful jeez wow that's just some amazing finds I'd be living in a tent on that site and probobly wouldnt sleep much. Thanks for sharing you finds freakin awesome. Tommy

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your little button with the eagle and the shield is from a forage cap.

Thanks! I knew I'd seen a picture of that before, but couldn't remember what it was. The baseball fields are old and privately owned in a very small town. I think that's why they haven't been hit before. Appreciate the ID!

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Splendid bunch of treasures there...might want to soak the coins in (of all things ) virgin olive oil...I have found it helps remove some of the "crustiness" from metals that have been fatigued or disfigured in some way. Note that it is acidic, but the virgin olive oil is much less so.YMMV.

Thanks, I think I'll give the olive oil a go, maybe step it up to something else if it doesn't knock off the hard crud.

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On cleaning those coins, I would start with a hot soapy water soak,. followed by a soft toothbrush. Since they're not particularly rare, I would continue with the cleaning if they don't look good enough to you at that point. Personally, I like to remove tarnish if it's blotchy or unattractive. My usual method is to use the outside bottom cavity of an empty aluminum can filled with white vinegar. I put the coin in and let it soak for a couple of hours. I then remove it and rub the surface with baking soda and then rinse in fresh water. Repeat if it needs more. Just don't forget it...

Thank You! I'm thinking about giving the olive oil a try first, then the vinegar and baking soda if that doesn't do the trick. Thanks!

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow real nice assortment there. If you need help there, I'm near Austin.

Thanks! I've only got permission for myself at the moment. Don't want to push it too far. Might be interested in meeting up sometime if I'm in the Austin area in the future, though. Job moves us around a lot.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Darn.. you were one busy digger! That's a very nice assortment of goodies! Well Done!

With regards to cleaning those coins, I have had good luck with a product called "MS 70 Coin Brightener" from Betterbuilt Chemicals

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coin and awesome relics, congrats! :occasion14:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Amazing! Congratulations on finding a great site. You work hard at this, you deserve it. Keep on posting what you find and make sure you get a big old group photo of everything from this site at the end. Can't wait to keep following along!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All those amazing finds and 85% yet to cover- WOW! GL the rest of the way...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions