Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the old high school no longer in use. Worked 2 parts of the fields. Pop tabs were everywhere and more plentiful than coins and there were also about 10 .32 cal blank casings and 3 .22 cal blank casings that gave just enough of a good signal I had to dig them. Recently I have been finding a decent number of the aluminum “bones” used to hold Ace bandages in place and of course the metal band from the eraser end of wooden pencils. Being a school field they are a necessary evil to deal with.

I did manage to find 32 coins with a face value of $1.60, a lightning bolt that looks like it might be part of an earring, 3 brass tags, 2 CW bullets from the camp that was here, a modern small brass button, 2 wheaties, (1935, 1946) and a folded over lead disk the size of a nickel (possibly a vending machine slug folded over so it couldn’t be used again).

1A9AF055-95FB-4818-A7F0-71151417B5EF.jpeg

The bullets are a dropped .44 cal. Watervliet Arsenal without the punch in the base and a mangled round ball. This is the first Watervliet I have found without the punch base so this is a new variety for me. It was about 9 inches down and gave a nice mid tone on the CZ 21.

DC045AF4-1C7D-4F1C-A963-C6FEC87198E9.jpeg

The tags are interesting, but rather crusty which seems to be the rule in this soil. The mid sized and smallest were found on the wire as you see them. The third was about 2 feet away so I think they were all together before the ground was moved around to create the sports field. The smallest simply has a number, 332, the mid size is a B&O RR number 687. All things B&O are cool in my book. The largest one is a bit of a challenge. Part of the name of the company was damaged when the tag was hit by a tiller or some other earth moving machine that moved it away from the others. It starts with an initial S and them about 2 letters are missing and then RBAUGH INC 621 DOF GULLY WORK. So it might be a key tag used by a crew doing gully cleanout on the B&O railroads. I’m not sure what DOF stands for. It would be nice if I could get the name of the company so I could pin down the time frame (definitely after the Civil War). Anybody ever seen one of these before? Any help would be appreciated.

43305404-EDA0-42DB-81C6-6ED64FEDDE23.jpeg B9CF9AD2-6880-4F54-858E-F1C3A3702113.jpeg

So the usual trashy stuff, a small number of coins and a few cool and interesting finds for a good day of digging. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 20
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, of all places I walk. I think I like schools best. They always have such a wide assortment!

Nice!

You are so right. There are so many things that go on at a school and so many people who walk on those grounds that you really never do know what will come out of the ground. Thanks Whadifind. Keep swingin?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the tag says "DOE GULLY". The B & O Doe Gully tunnel is on the Maryland/WV line in Morgan County WV.

Maybe the company name is Rohrbaugh? I went to high school in South-Central PA and there were any number of people whose names ended in 'baugh'.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the tag says "DOE GULLY". The B & O Doe Gully tunnel is on the Maryland/WV line in Morgan County WV.

Maybe the company name is Rohrbaugh? I went to high school in South-Central PA and there were any number of people whose names ended in 'baugh'.

Thanks for the try, but it is definitely DOF. It could be Department of Forestry but I can’t be sure. We have families around here named HERBAUGH and HARBAUGH. Rohrbaugh is possible. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the nice comments. I did a little more googling and found references to H S KERBAUGH INC that did engineering work. I took a closer magnified look at the tag and I can make out the H and I already could see the S, but the KE is not legible. They do look possible though so that looks like what it is.

Different references to the company were dated from 1904 to 1922. The gully work may have been the construction of the gullies. The references mention railroad work so they may have constructed gullies for the B & O railroads. If anyone has any more info on the company it would be welcome. Thanks for looking and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use an old high school with Civil War relics around here lol. Nice work!!

Thanks. They are few and far between and it takes a lot of swingin to get them, but at least I am finding some. Thanks again and keep swingin.

railsnrelics

Oct 7, 2021
Went back to the old high school no longer in use. Worked 2 parts of the fields. Pop tabs were everywhere and more plentiful than coins and there were also about 10 .32 cal blank casings and 3 .22 cal blank casings that gave just enough of a good signal I had to dig them. Recently I have been finding a decent number of the aluminum “bones” used to hold Ace bandages in place and of course the metal band from the eraser end of wooden pencils. Being a school field they are a necessary evil to deal with.

I did manage to find 32 coins with a face value of $1.60, a lightning bolt that looks like it might be part of an earring, 3 brass tags, 2 CW bullets from the camp that was here, a modern small brass button, 2 wheaties, (1935, 1946) and a folded over lead disk the size of a nickel (possibly a vending machine slug folded over so it couldn’t be used again).

The bullets are a dropped .44 cal. Watervliet Arsenal without the punch in the base and a mangled round ball. This is the first Watervliet I have found without the punch base so this is a new variety for me. It was about 9 inches down and gave a nice mid tone on the CZ 21.

The tags are interesting, but rather crusty which seems to be the rule in this soil. The mid sized and smallest were found on the wire as you see them. The third was about 2 feet away so I think they were all together before the ground was moved around to create the sports field. The smallest simply has a number, 332, the mid size is a B&O RR number 687. All things B&O are cool in my book. The largest one is a bit of a challenge. Part of the name of the company was damaged when the tag was hit by a tiller or some other earth moving machine that moved it away from the others. It starts with an initial S and them about 2 letters are missing and then RBAUGH INC 621 DOF GULLY WORK. So it might be a key tag used by a crew doing gully cleanout on the B&O railroads. I’m not sure what DOF stands for. It would be nice if I could get the name of the company so I could pin down the time frame (definitely after the Civil War). Anybody ever seen one of these before? Any help would be appreciated.

So the usual trashy stuff, a small number of coins and a few cool and interesting finds for a good day of digging. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.
it absolutely is HS Kerbaugh doe Gully work from the railroad cut work between Orleans West Virginia and Magnolia West Virginia on the B&O railroad. I dug a Doe Gully tag in Magnolia as well as some stamped magnolia work and sand patch (pa). The company was an excavation contractor with the B&O they operated large steam shovels and steam drills mostly building bridges tunnels and cuts. I’ve even seen railroad lanterns marked HSK cool find!

railsnrelics

Oct 7, 2021
it absolutely is HS Kerbaugh doe Gully work from the railroad cut work between Orleans West Virginia and Magnolia West Virginia on the B&O railroad. I dug a Doe Gully tag in Magnolia as well as some stamped magnolia work and sand patch (pa). The company was an excavation contractor with the B&O they operated large steam shovels and steam drills mostly building bridges tunnels and cuts. I’ve even seen railroad lanterns marked HSK cool find!
By the way both of these tags were tool tags

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way both of these tags were tool tags
That is great info. Thanks and welcome to treasurenet. I really appreciate the input. It will help with the display of items I will be giving to the local museum.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

TH sounds like a great day of hunting! Glad you had success!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on your nice recoveries

railsnrelics

Oct 7, 2021
Thanks to all for the nice comments. I did a little more googling and found references to H S KERBAUGH INC that did engineering work. I took a closer magnified look at the tag and I can make out the H and I already could see the S, but the KE is not legible. They do look possible though so that looks like what it is.

Different references to the company were dated from 1904 to 1922. The gully work may have been the construction of the gullies. The references mention railroad work so they may have constructed gullies for the B & O railroads. If anyone has any more info on the company it would be welcome. Thanks for looking and keep swingin.
Hi, I saw your string on your tag. I definitely identify this. its a tool tag used by H.S. Kerbaugh, Inc. a railroad engineering company that built bridges, tunnels etc for the B&O railroad. the “DOF” is definitely “DOE Gully” a town in Morgan County WV The Doe Gully work was a large earthwork spanning along the North Branch of the Potomac River, a part of a grand plan by President Willard to enlarge the “neck of the bottle” on the Capitol Limited line. I’ve dug many such tags in Doe Gully. I am interested in what city you found them.

railsnrelics

Oct 7, 2021
Hi, I saw your string on your tag. I definitely identify this. its a tool tag used by H.S. Kerbaugh, Inc. a railroad engineering company that built bridges, tunnels etc for the B&O railroad. the “DOF” is definitely “DOE Gully” a town in Morgan County WV The Doe Gully work was a large earthwork spanning along the North Branch of the Potomac River, a part of a grand plan by President Willard to enlarge the “neck of the bottle” on the Capitol Limited line. I’ve dug many such tags in Doe Gully. I am interested in what city you found them.
They didn’t dig a gully they filled it lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread