mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been going over an over the colonial site we have been working and pulling a few buttons and small items out. Came across this interesting find. I showed it to Lost Signal and he ID'd it for me as a plumb bob from a level and sent the picture of the 18th century carpenters level.
IMG_3872.jpg IMG_3873.jpg IMG_3874.jpg IMG_3883.jpg

I would have expected it to be more of pointed weight but looking on line it seems to match others I have found.

Upvote 11

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think that could possibly be a decoy weight. It's less than a 1/2" across. No way that would hold a decoy in position.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it turns out to be a plumb bob I'll have to dig out mine that I thought were buttons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet it's a late 17th century button. They were made in that size and shape, and in both brass and lead. That is one early find. Remember, it could have been used 50 years or more after it was made, just like we do today re-using old stuff.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it turns out to be a plumb bob I'll have to dig out mine that I thought were buttons.

They look dead on really... are yours same composition ?

The links you posted stated they were "lead tin alloy"... and the ops looks bronze... or the likes.

Anyway... more "green"... heh.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The links you posted stated they were "lead tin alloy"... and the ops looks bronze... or the likes.

The last one I found was solid copper or bronze I think. Its been 4 or 5 years ago. They dont come up too often around here. Might check with "toasted". He may very well have found more of them and hes only a few hours drive from me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mbcuce

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. The links really make me think it is probably a button. I never would have thought. Thanks for posting. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper now.
:icon_thumleft: Pretty sure it is a button and a dang good find imo. I got cobs or King Chas II coinage at the sites where I have dug them so I'd pound the daylights out of the site for sure.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last one I found was solid copper or bronze I think. Its been 4 or 5 years ago. They dont come up too often around here. Might check with "toasted". He may very well have found more of them and hes only a few hours drive from me.
Dont think Ive got anything exactly like that but looks like an early button to me

Last edited:

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah sorry Mobil app had pic zoomed way in looked much bigger . Disregard my post sorry

Yeah, I was imagining it being bigger, too. That's why I came up with the plumb bob theory. Saw it in person tonight, and after checking out gwdigger's links, I would definitely agree that it is a button.

OP
OP
mbcuce

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think it could be bronze, doesn't seem to be lead. I cleaned it up a bit more and it really looks like the button from the link gwdigger posted. I included pics of the cleaned button and another to better show the scale.
IMG_3884.jpg IMG_3885.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread