Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the campus yesterday to try and finish another section of one of the playing fields. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and digging a wonderfully large crop of pop tabs lol. I did manage to find 33 coins with a face value of $1.47, apiece of a horse, a Scooby-Doo pendant, a toasted large cent, an athletic spike and what looks like the end of an old laser pointer. A lot of the pennies are Swiss (zinc pennies full of holes). Besides the tabs there was very little non ferrous trash only 3 bits of can slaw and a few pieces of foil.

7A025D70-5D35-4939-B712-5A3523448478.jpeg

The large cent signal was a bit iffy bouncing between high and low tones. When I popped the 10 inch plug I got a nice solid high tone from the bottom of the plug. I pinpointed and out she dropped. The front is really toasted, but from what I can see of the letter placement and the wreath on the back I believe it is a matron head (1817-1836). I will try and do a little cleaning and see if I can verify that. In that condition cleaning can’t hurt it. The acid soil that eats up the zincs is really hard on the old coppers. Maybe I will try electrolysis on this one. Does anybody know if it does any good on a coin like this and remove the bumps or does it just clean the bumps?

2566B85E-6037-4F6A-AE2A-E323CF5323FB.jpeg FDA38733-3C0B-4A5D-B762-2F6D65EC3F14.jpeg
FRONT On the left and BACK on the right

So another good hunt with one keeper. It has been a long time since I found a large cent so it is a welcome find. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 17

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the LC! I have not tried electrolysis on coins yet. It will be interesting to hear if someone has had success with that technique on a coin like this. From what I can tell, you did a good job capturing detail with leaving some dirt and not destroying the patina. It may not get any better than this, but still a cool find! Congrats

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scooby doobie dooooooo !!!! Congrats !!

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it to this one but depends on its condition you may or may not get good results

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it to this one but depends on its condition you may or may not get good results

Thanks for the PM and the email pictures. Yours was in better shape than mine to start with so I doubt my results will be that good. With a little luck I will cook it later today and post the results for those who might be interested. Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind replies folks. It is a thrill to pop those big copper coins out of the dirt. Keep swingin.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant find a Lc no matter how hard I try that's a cool scooby snack

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant find a Lc no matter how hard I try that's a cool scooby snack

There is one out there waiting for you tommy. Keep swingin and she will jump under your coil. Don’t give up. It was years before I found my first. As I said, keep swingin.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love any old copper find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread