EPIC Hunt finds rare GOLD Indian Princess & Rare SILVER Lady Liberty

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Saying I had an epic weekend would be an understatement! I loaded the latest Equinox firmware update to try the new FE2/0 iron program, and it did not disappoint!

I've posted about trip reports from this site several times over the years. It's always been a fun site IMO, you just never know what you'll dig, and it dates back to the early 1800's with history into the 20th century. It saw it's share of the Spanish, Mexicans, Emigrants, and Americans. It's getting difficult, lots of flat iron still left, but good finds have been thinning out, easy finds have been gone for years. TomCA won't even hunt there any more.

This trip turned out to be absolutely EPIC! Unbelievable really, because there have been trips where neither Tom nor I have dug a single coin at this site, so to dig five period coins in one trip was astounding.

Now if these were just five common 1800's coins, I would've left there an extremely happy camper, but two out of the five turned out to be astounding finds!

An 1865-S Seated Liberty Dime AND a 1856-S INDIAN PRINCESS $1 GOLD PIECE!!! I am absolutely over the moon from this hunt!

I got all the coins on video, if you have a chance, take a look:

EDIT: Added group shot:

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

Without further ado:

Right after she was dug and I just ran some bottled water over her in the field:

49528269342_782879039d_c.jpg

49527532048_603e800303_c.jpg

Rinsed off under the faucet back in my room (no rubbing!!!):

49528269277_e2a3db99e7_c.jpg

49527531918_4642188dd7_c.jpg

1865-S Seated Liberty Dime:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49527532218_3bb4f7c698_c.jpg

All the Seated Liberty Dimes together:

49528269137_664a5e868f_c.jpg

1887 IHP:

49528042046_8004534a73_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

GL&HH,
Cal <<<<<<<< THE ORIGINAL CAL :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 83
OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Awesome hunt with incredible rare coins! Did you swing over the same areas you had before, but the F2 program helped filter out the iron? Or just gave a cleaner more easily recognizable signal? I have the new software, just haven’t tried F2 yet. Congrats!!!

Been over the same areas with different machines, coils, etc., for years. I don't know that I can say the FE2 upgrade was the reason the site came back to life or not. In over ten years of detecting this site, I've never dug five coins one trip, heck I've come home with zero coins more then once. So I cannot really saw it was or was not the FE2. but I think I can safely say it certainly didn't hurt :occasion14:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The details are outstanding! Congrats!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Man that is freaking fantastic. Love hearing about people finding stuff at well hit sites. Seems like that’s mostly what we have left these days, huh? It’s hard to find documented, historical, untouched sites. Happens about once every year or two for me. Congrats again and good luck. I hope you get another.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom baby. BANNER my turn next

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The details are outstanding! Congrats!

She is a beautiful specimen, I was impressed to see how good of condition she was, definitely was a loss that saw no circulation. Thanks for looking :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Man that is freaking fantastic. Love hearing about people finding stuff at well hit sites. Seems like that’s mostly what we have left these days, huh? It’s hard to find documented, historical, untouched sites. Happens about once every year or two for me. Congrats again and good luck. I hope you get another.

Thanks washingtonian. Virgin sites are few and far between. Sure they exist, but most are on private property and it's not easy getting permission, but it happens. Seems like we find a good site every couple of years, but I enjoy hitting this particular site due to it's history and the finds that we've made over the years. I do not think it had every been detected when we first found it. I'll definitely try for another, I would not be the least bit surprised if there's another gold coin at that site.

GL&HH,
Cal

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There aren't enough adjectives to describe that hunt, but big-time Congrats to you! Still looking for my first gold coin after 30 years, so I can understand your reaction- enjoyed the video as well.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There aren't enough adjectives to describe that hunt, but big-time Congrats to you! Still looking for my first gold coin after 30 years, so I can understand your reaction- enjoyed the video as well.

Thank you! Keep at it, they're out there, being in Cape Cod you probably dig tons of colonial coins & relics, you'll probably dig Colonial gold one of these days :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread